Thread: Changing tubes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Changing tubes.

i dont need to yet, but when the time comes, i want to be able to do it.

all id want to do i swap out the stock 12AX7 and the stock EL84 for an EHX or JJ tube of the same type.

can someone give me like, a method of how to do this? like..walk me through it?

thanks people
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Er, switch the amp off, wait for the valves to cool down, pull the old ones and push in the new ones? I can't think of any more that's involved apart from how you access them. When valves were the norm everybody could do this.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

If you need to set the bias and match the powertubes, you need some more know how or a good tech.
    The preamp tubes are easy, just pull them out and put a new one in - I only set the amp to standby. What's the amp?
    THIS might help you as well.

Post Thanks / Like

well if i replace the EL84 in the power section with an EHX or JJ EL84 (the amp is cathode biased i believe) i wouldnt need to rebias would i?

and its the blackheart BH5H
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    well if i replace the EL84 in the power section with an EHX or JJ EL84 (the amp is cathode biased i believe) i wouldnt need to rebias would i?

and its the blackheart BH5H
    No, you don't.
    Just do as MarkB said and you should be fine. Pay attention to how the pins line up as you remove the tubes, you want to line the pins on the new ones up the same, and don't force them or bend the pins.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I've swapped mine several times and have done some A/Bing between NOS tubes as well. The most time consuming part is taking off the BH's back panel. I also left off the tube covers with no ill effects.
    Cheers