Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Virtual Travelog: Show us sights from around your town.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Travelog: Show us sights from around your town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Virtual Travelog: Show us sights from around your town.

I posted a link to a bunch of pics showing my hometown from above on a coupla trails. I thought it might be fun to have a thread where fretters could post links to pics showing the sights from around where you live. For instance, I would love to see some of those FLA sights, or some scenes from Sweden or the UK, or Canadia where those Canadians live.

In deference to the fret servers, if you are going to post more than a couple pics, (like I did), please post a link to an off site album. So I'll go first, here is my town:

Hailey from Quigley Hill, if you size the photos with the slider on the lower right so they show 3 across, you get the panorama in the first three.
    http://gallery.me.com/sunvalleylaw#100069

Hailey from Carbonate, if you size so they are 4 across, you get the panorama this way. You can see from the airport in the south, looking then across town east, and around up toward the north and SV/Ketchum area.
    http://gallery.me.com/sunvalleylaw#1...or=black&sel=1
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Here's me working at the summer cottage this past weekend...

Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing overly stands out in my town like the pics you've posted Steve, but I tried to dig something up. This little covered bridge is close to my house in a park the town recently created after buying the property from a family that operated it as a very popular tourist attraction. Other than people walking dogs, it doesn't get much use in the winter. I like to go x-country skiing here, and use the trails that link it to a conservation area just a bit north. I took my son here for his first night hike this past winter which he thought was cool. He's got his own little headlamp, and hiking pole :
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Did you get that flashing well secured on the summer cottage David?

Re: the bridge, well, I think that is very noteworthy! I love trees, leaves and wooden structures like covered bridges. Looks like a great place to XCski. Also, I have enjoyed your canoeing pics that are not right in your town, but still somewhere in your area?

For anyone else, pics of some local clubs, the beach, a cityscape, whatever. That is what I find interesting, just visuals of where people live and play.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Well, Gainesville is fairly flat with the occasional small hill here and there. No scenic mountains or beaches.

We do have lakes, like Lake Alice on the UF campus, which is full of gators. And I don't mean UF students.

Across the street from Lake Alice is the UF Bat House. Every dusk, thousands of bats come out and fly in a huge concentric swirl into the evening sky.

Up in the northwest part of town is Devil's Millhopper, a large natural sink. Back before it was protected and had a walkway built to get to the bottom, Tom Petty used to ditch high school and smoke pot there:

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in Camrose, we have a nice little lake/pond that I often run around. This is what it looks like.

See also a Photo Gallery of Camrose.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Downtown Tampa

Historic Ybor City (The hub of the cigar world)

I wanted to find a better picture of this door at this restaurant. The handles are two halves of a large metal sculpture of a bee that was made by a friend of mine.

The University of Tampa's Plant Hall

And of course, a Tampa sunset...

"I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice guys! That is what I was looking for! Looks like a wonderful place to run Robert! Brian, some of your pics did not work, but I am interested in them. R_of_G, thanks! I have never had any mental picture of Tampa at all. Now I do! : :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I have never had any mental picture of Tampa at all. Now I do! : :
    That's the highlight reel without all the boring stuff in between.

Seriously though, it is a city with its photogenic parts and it's slowly becoming more cosmopolitan, though it still has major strides to make as far as developing a local arts and culture scene.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Brian, some of your pics did not work, but I am interested in them.
    Oops, looks like those sites blocked hotlinks.

Here's a couple pictures of the Devil's Millhopper, which is probably 3 or 4 miles from my office:

Iirc it's about 120 feet deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    That's the highlight reel without all the boring stuff in between.

Seriously though, it is a city with its photogenic parts and it's slowly becoming more cosmopolitan, though it still has major strides to make as far as developing a local arts and culture scene.
    Hey the Brass Mug meets all my cultural needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Hey the Brass Mug meets all my cultural needs!

Nice. I've been there many times. If you play in Tampa again let me know. I'd love to see Crash Pad in action.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry no pics but crazy weather,5 min ago sunny,now 2in of hail,thunder,lighting,rain.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

I will just link you to this site of my hometown and let you check it out-music sites and sound.http://www.visitpaintsvilleky.com/
    The Country Highway museum is where we have the FRont Porch pickin on Thursday nights, and I live near Paintsville Lake. Lots of nice stuff in the area if you haven't been in these neck of the mountains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    Sorry no pics but crazy weather,5 min ago sunny,now 2in of hail,thunder,lighting,rain.Sumi
    Well, that is ok with me, cause I have regularly been there. sometime you should show the others though. The central oregon volcanos and area in which you live is gorgeous! :

Thanks Street. I will check that out. : I know nothing of that area.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I have enjoyed your canoeing pics that are not right in your town, but still somewhere in your area?
    Most of the canoeing I do is within a three hour drive from me. This is a nice interior park near Parry Sound Ontario, on Georgian Bay. I'm hoping to head up Sunday for a couple of days.... Daughter is in exams right now, and taking the the little guy with the early bug fest might prove too much for him so I'm going to head in solo for a couple of nights. I need some time to just get into the ourdoors and relax.
    Gearlist:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I hear ya! Have fun and bring back some pics, if you can clear the bat sized canadian mosquitoes from in front of the lens.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful Lexington, KY:

The park seen below is full of life-size statues of horses, including a scene depicting a horse race coming down the homestretch.

I pass this castle on my way to work every morning. Its on the county line, tehnically in the next county over.

http://www.thecastlepost.com/photogallery.asp

This is Calumet Thouroughbred Farm. For my money, one of the prettiest of the horse farms, although it sits almost IN town:

Learning to play on my first and only guitar:
    Art & Lutherie Cedar Sunrise

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice Tynee! I would love to head down there sometime, hopefully with a dreadnought in the car. I would be inspired to be working on my bluegrass I would think.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast