Thread: ever done a gig when feeling sick?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default ever done a gig when feeling sick?

I've a gig tonight in my home town, it's in a great music bar & I've lots of family and friends coming to see us. The only problem is that since last night I've been feeling really unwell, I've had the cold sweats and a sore throat. I've been looking forward to this gig for so long, I really can't believe that I'm not going to be 100%.

Anyway, I'm hoping adrenalin will get me through (along with half a dozen paracetemol). I'll let you know how it went tomorrow. The show must go on!
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Lev, I know what'ya talking about. Played two times when I was sick. Took some Aspirin and as soon as the gig started the sickness was blown away for 2 hours.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Jimi may have introduced a medical breakthrough - never stop playing, never get sick.

Worth trying.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Sick, sutures, infections, hemorrhoids, kidney stones, broken bones, mentally impaired... always something!

pes_laul Guest

Yeah I've been there once.

are you the singer?

If not then you won't have to worry too much. like they said adrenaline will probably make it blow away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    I've had the cold sweats ...
    You can make the band play this...

Seriously though, I hope you feel better soon and I hope the gig goes well for you.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta have the shoes and suit though.
    C'mon Lev, ya gotta do it like that.. good gawd ! heh !

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck, Lev! Hope you get to feeling better!
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Is it swine flu?

I once had walking pneumonia and bronchitis while on the road and I was fronting the band 50% of the time. If I didn't show there was no way to get through the night (job security ). There was Grand Master Kata champion that was a bouncer at the club and I had made friends with him. His mental encouragement kept me going so that we didn't loose the gig. It was incredibly painful to get through but I did somehow. I now feel pain qualified to give child birth because my pain lasted days and child birth is only hours. Does that make me tougher and more of a man? Probably not but I do know now that I can push myself further than I thought - not that I ever want to again to that extreme.

For what it's worth Clapton recorded "Before You Accuse Me" while very sick and it actually turned out pretty good. So even though you feel like poop you probably are still sounding good.:

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I played with bronchitis for 6 months. It was a struggle to say the least. But as they say... "the show must go on!"
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the encouragement guys! The gig went pretty well in the end. My energy levels were a bit low and I lost concentration a couple of times causing me to play a couple of bum notes but no one seemed to notice. Feedback was good from the crowd and we've been asked to come back in August. So not a bad nights work even though it was a real struggle for me.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the encouragement guys! The gig went pretty well in the end. My energy levels were a bit low and I lost concentration a couple of times causing me to play a couple of bum notes but no one seemed to notice. Feedback was good from the crowd and we've been asked to come back in August. So not a bad nights work even though it was a real struggle for me.
    Good to hear that it went well. Tough guy
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Played a gig last spring with the flu and a 103 degree temperature. It was like playing "out of body", but I pulled it off. I was wasted after that gig for a few days.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you make it through the gig, Lev!:
    I played a gig once when I had influenza, had to go outside and throw up twice, sick as he!!, but made it through, although I had to get a chair up onstage the last set, I was too weak to stand. I played another one with the tip of my left hand index finger sliced off (thank goodness for slides), but without me the band wouldn't have had a lead player, so I did it.:
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I did play sick once. March of 2008, we had one of our "5th Sunday Night Sings" and our youth praise band played. I had gotten out of the hospital the day before with a really bad sinus infection and bronchitis. In the hospital, I had been on really strong steroids and breathing treatments for 3 or 4 days. I was still on heavy steroids and breathing treatments at home after getting out, so needless to say, I was a LITTLE bit loopy and wired up that night.

The kids told me later that I was playing a little (OK a lot) faster than normal and I KNOW I was babbling like an idiot in the mic introducing the songs. I told everybody to overlook me, 'cause I was still (legally) doped up.
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Way to fight through it and deliver a yeoman like commitment and performance! :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson