Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Relic'd Acoustic?????

Thread: Relic'd Acoustic?????

Post Thanks / Like

Question Relic'd Acoustic?????

Visited a couple of shops today. In one shop, on the wall of new Martins, Taylors and Gibsons was a beautiful 70's vintage D-35. Great shape with just the right patina to the wood. My eye picked it out from across the room.

It got me to thinking. Given the whole relic, closet classic, electric craze has any company done a relic'd acoustic?

I don't want to dredge up the whole relic electric thing. But if it works for electric guitars, and it must as everyone seems to be doing it, why not for acoustics???
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think acoustic players would care for it... it's a cheesy shortcut to a narrow end. Anyway... isn't time is the most important component when creating a relic?

Post Thanks / Like

Well to me that is the same as having a dead guy endorse a guitar model that wasn't even made when he was alive. But then, I'm no fun.
    Rory

My Stuff:
    Washburn WD114S
    Washburn J4
    Trinity College Bouzouki
    Takamine EG523SC-12
    Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
    Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
    Fender FV-3
    Marshall AS50D
    Fender Super Champ XD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rory
    Well to me that is the same as having a dead guy endorse a guitar model that wasn't even made when he was alive.
    Well, that would be a relic endorsing something new... not the same but at least "time" was invested on one side of the equation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    I don't think acoustic players would care for it... it's a cheesy shortcut to a narrow end. Anyway... isn't time is the most important component when creating a relic?
    Agree it's a cheesy shortcut, but the same goes for all the relic'd electrics out there. And sure, time is what always puts the finishing touch on the sound of a solid wood acoustic. But there is something visually arresting about a beautifully aged acoustic. Bottom line, Rocket, yeah I guess acoustic players just won't go for it. Now making modern acoustic guitars to vintage specs is another thing. Seems like everyone is on that bandwagon.
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

If it's any consolation, I'm doing my part to properly relic a few myself.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

This guy did an ok job.

Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    This guy did an ok job.

Had to look and see if Martin did a "Trigger" guitar. Yeep they did. But it's certainly not relic'd.

Look like Rocket man is right on!! :
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    This guy did an ok job.
    He even relic'd himself!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Takamine that is beginning to relic as it didn't come with a pickguard and has a cedar top. I've contemplating putting a guard on her, but I figured if it was supposed to be there, it would have come with her... meh.