Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Anyone ever try a Weber Mini Mass??

Thread: Anyone ever try a Weber Mini Mass??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone ever try a Weber Mini Mass??

I bought a Weber Mini Mass attenuator for my Bandmaster VM head and it arrived today. I hooked it up and played for about an hour.

Here are my impressions: It is definitely an effective attenuator and I'm not quite sure how it works considering there is no power supply, but I'll let the tech experts explain that.

The mini mass has a normal, 3db treble boost and a 6 db treble boost. With the "normal" setting, you can tell the attenuator sucks some tone. WIth the 3db boost on, it adds a pretty good amount of brightness, and I didn't even bother trying the 6db boost. I notice no difference to the bottom or mids being altered in any way. Overall, I would say that the mini mass really didn't alter the tone of the amp at all, with the bright boost engaged.

I did notice that with the volume and drive up to about 7 each, the amp sounded pretty sweet, as it should. Us home noodlers don't get to take the amp into power tube saturation much but allowing the volume to be kicked up on the amp with a nice attenuator did make the strings sing a bit more.

Pretty good product and a good solution for taming volume at the house.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one, but it's an older model without the treble boost. It really needs it, though. Without the treble boost it sounds like there is a blanket over my speakers. It is a pretty easy mod to do, though but I just haven't had a chance to do it.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    I bought a Weber Mini Mass attenuator for my Bandmaster VM head and it arrived today. I hooked it up and played for about an hour.

Here are my impressions: It is definitely an effective attenuator and I'm not quite sure how it works considering there is no power supply, but I'll let the tech experts explain that.

The mini mass has a normal, 3db treble boost and a 6 db treble boost. With the "normal" setting, you can tell the attenuator sucks some tone. WIth the 3db boost on, it adds a pretty good amount of brightness, and I didn't even bother trying the 6db boost. I notice no difference to the bottom or mids being altered in any way. Overall, I would say that the mini mass really didn't alter the tone of the amp at all, with the bright boost engaged.

I did notice that with the volume and drive up to about 7 each, the amp sounded pretty sweet, as it should. Us home noodlers don't get to take the amp into power tube saturation much but allowing the volume to be kicked up on the amp with a nice attenuator did make the strings sing a bit more.

Pretty good product and a good solution for taming volume at the house.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    I've got one, but it's an older model without the treble boost. It really needs it, though. Without the treble boost it sounds like there is a blanket over my speakers. It is a pretty easy mod to do, though but I just haven't had a chance to do it.

tung
    That's a good way to put it...with the treble boost off it sounds pretty dull and lifeless.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an attenuator but it's not the Weber.
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one too, and like the OP, I find I'm happiest with the treble boost in the 3dB position. It definitely does the job it's meant to do. The Weber attenuators in general are great deals. I don't know what would make a more expensive one worth the money.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

I have the MASS200 for my 100 watt tube stack. Works good and I'm glad it has a treble compensator.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have one, but as I understand it the way they work is to pass part of the signal through a speaker moter (speaker with no cone). Thus the amp sees reads the impedence of a speaker load similar to what it would usually see, but the signal passing to the actual speaker is diminished.

No power supply needed.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I don't have one, but as I understand it the way they work is to pass part of the signal through a speaker moter (speaker with no cone). Thus the amp sees reads the impedence of a speaker load similar to what it would usually see, but the signal passing to the actual speaker is diminished.

No power supply needed.
    Yup, that's exactly the way I understand they work, too.

I have a MicroMASS, with the separate low-mids and mids-highs attenuation controls. Works very well on my small amps.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've had the MiniMass for quite some time now, and it's a great little unit.

Has the selector switches for impedance and treble.

It's also quite nice to have around if you're re-tubing and/or changing bias, as it can be used as a dummy speaker load when you've got the chassis out.

I like Ted's stuff. I also bought his Bias Rite.