Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mack Gem sound clips

Post Thanks / Like

If you dig a little deeper into Robert's Mack link, the specs say it will handle 4, 8 or 16 ohms w/o damage to speaker(s) or amp...
    Although all Mack amps are nominally rated for 8 ohm speaker cabs, 4 or 16 ohm cabs can be used without damage.

There has been a lot written about mismatching amp output and speaker cab impedances. Much of it warns about damage to the amp if a mismatch occurs.

Theoretically, damage can result due to an over-voltage or over-current situation depending on if the speaker cab impedance is higher or lower than the amp's output imedance.

However, running the numbers reveals that low-power amps - say, below 100 watts - should not experience any problems with output impedance mis-matches, assuming that the output transformer is of reasonable quality. The voltage or current change resulting from halving or doubling the speaker impedance vs. the output impedance simply does not push the tubes or output transformer into the danger zone.

Leaving theory behind, we have tested our standard amps in the worst conditions - a dead short across the amp's speaker output and an 'open circuit' meaning we ran the amp with no speaker plugged in.

The measured voltage and current data shows that the amps could run indefinitely without damaging the tubes or transformers.

Therefore, plugging in a 4 or 16 ohm cabs will never result in damage to the amp. The power output of the amp changes a bit and you can actually hear a change in tone, but there will be ZERO damage done to a Mack amp.

The Gem, being a VERY low power amp, is equally impervious to impedance mis-matches.

So, I can confirm that Mack amps do not have any problem at all with plugging in different speaker cabinets. Experiment to your heart's content!

Note that since I have only conducted the above testing on our own amps, I can technically only vouch for them. However, as I mentioned earlier, calculations show that other lower-powered amps with good iron should perform similarly.

Hope that wasn't too long winded and I hope that helps clarify our position on impedance matching!
    Don Mackrill
    Mack Amps
    www.mackamps.com
    Virtuoso Tone Without The Prima Donna Price

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Don! Not being very tech-minded, that was a great explanation. Much appreciated!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12