Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Any advice? Replacing humbucker covers and pole screws...

Thread: Any advice? Replacing humbucker covers and pole screws...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any advice? Replacing humbucker covers and pole screws...

I recently worked a little barter deal with Mudcat to trade a pedal build for a set of Gibson 498T/490R humbuckers he had laying around. Put them into that used Epi G-400 SG I bought on eBay a couple of weeks back, and they sound great. The 498T is noticeably smoother than the stock HotCH Epi bridge p'up, with a sweet, singing top-end. And the 490R has it all over the Epi '57CH neck p'up, which I found rather dull and lacking character. So it's a big tonal upgrade! Thanks, Mud!! : :

However, the appearance needs some work. First of all, they have the gold finish covers and don't match the rest of the hardware. Secondly, Mud obviously put a fair amount of mileage on them, because the covers (mostly the bridge) are pretty worn and some of the pole screws are quite rusty/corroded. None of these things affect the tone, but I'm like a little old lady with my gear. No "relic" stuff for me--I work hard to keep my gear looking as new as possible. The rest of this SG is in very good shape and I want the p'ups to match that look. So I have a couple of chromed humbucker covers coming from StewMac, along with two sets of screw pole pieces.

Looks to me like swapping the new ones for the old should be straightforward enough, but since I haven't done this before, thought I'd just float it out here for comments advice. Y'all got any??
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Vood made some calls last night and was told to just make sure the pole pieces are not epoxied in ? (shouldnt be but some are and im clueless as I cant see them being adjustable that way. I assume some pups have non adj.p.p.'s??? again clueless) Also if you can swap out p.p.'s...... try to get the head size close to originals as some aftermarket have smaller or bigger screw heads which effect tone/ sound IMHO

You can use different sized than stock but just a FYI on the tonal part and it might not reflect accuracy as it is my opinion and you and tung are the electronics techies around here!!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you can change the hardware to match the pups.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Here's how to fit covers. Just work backwards for removal.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

We are always talking about tinkering with pickups things like swapping mags,mixing coils and building hybrids, swapping poll types ect over on the Duncan board. Here is a thread on swapping covers http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...d.php?t=168545
    The best one I have found though is this one on mag swaps. It also goes pretty in depth on how to remove and replace the cover.
    http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/barmagswap.htm
    BTW there are a number of us over there who are BIG fans of the Alnico 8 mag in particular in the Custom wind. So many of us were fans of the A8 Duncan first did a forum only Crazy 8 pickup then released the Alt 8 as a full production pickup. The Custom 8 however is still my personal fave and lives in the bridge position on 4 of my guitars:. It's IMO the ultimate hairband toned pickup : :
    Custom 8 in my MG 102 through the Red Prosonic solo voice clip
    http://www.box.net/shared/bnc3ghqvrr
    Last edited by Ascension; July 17th, 2009 at 02:57 AM.
    Guitars
    Washburn's
    Chicago Custom Shop USA's 1995 MG 122,100,102,120, 1994 MG-122, one off 1994 Prototype, 1999 WM-4, 200 3-ST Stealth
    Carvins 1990 Pearl Pink reverse headstock X220C, 1991 Sapphire Blue Flame V220R.
    Accoustics
    LTD 88 Takamine

Amps
    Fender Prosonic combo
    100 watt custom one off Prosonic head
    Fender 2/12 cab
    2 Avatar 2/12 cabs- Blond Oxblood with 75's and Red with Black Vin 30's
    Yamaha 4/12

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for those links! I've got the new screws and covers, just haven't gotten to doing the work yet....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck bro on the cover and poll replacement. For info on that kind of stuff check out the Duncan Board. It's one of the better forums around for helpful info on pickups and wiring + just an overall solid group of folks: .
    Later
    Richard.
    Guitars
    Washburn's
    Chicago Custom Shop USA's 1995 MG 122,100,102,120, 1994 MG-122, one off 1994 Prototype, 1999 WM-4, 200 3-ST Stealth
    Carvins 1990 Pearl Pink reverse headstock X220C, 1991 Sapphire Blue Flame V220R.
    Accoustics
    LTD 88 Takamine

Amps
    Fender Prosonic combo
    100 watt custom one off Prosonic head
    Fender 2/12 cab
    2 Avatar 2/12 cabs- Blond Oxblood with 75's and Red with Black Vin 30's
    Yamaha 4/12