Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

How high or low do you wear your guitar?

View Poll Results: How high the guitar ;-)

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Almost under my chin

2 7.69%
  • A place right on the belly, below my chest

18 69.23%
  • Covering the "bikini zone" :-)

6 23.08%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How high or low do you wear your guitar?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How high or low do you wear your guitar?

I always envied those guys who could hang the guitar pretty low, look cool and play like hell...lets say guys like Slash. But hey, those guys gotta have long long arms. I figured pretty soon after getting my firts guitar that the lower I hang my guitar the harder it gets to play up the neck, the harder it gets to play accurate.

How do you wear your guitar?

Seperating the guitar body in three thirds, I like the middle of the lowest third being as high as my belt line with the Strat. The LP goes lower, don't know why, but here the top of the second third on the belt line is okay.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Voted: On the belly.

I adjust my strap so the guitar is in the same general position weather sitting or standing. Still, it seems easier to play seated.

Cheers and HTH,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

When I was giggin', many years ago, I always wore either my bass (Rickenbacker) or my Gibby ES-335 or SG (rhythm guitarist) so that the middle of the body was at the front of my right hip bone. Played so much, I developed a calcium deposit there and took to stuffing a piece of foam under my belt to relieve the situation.

I'm 6' 2", and, at that time, long n lanky, skinny as a rail, or a Keef Richards. That position worked best for me.

Nowadays, I'm either sitting, or strap up around my lower belly.
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

This high.

I feel a lot more in control of the instrument when it's fairly high.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I call it belly, and voted so, but it may be a bit higher. Here is a pic, though I lowered the strap just a bit since this pic so as to relax my shoulders a little. Young Will, over to my right with his tele, does the riding low gunslinger thing, and the girls love it.

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I need mine fairly high, almost as high up as hubberjub.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how Slash can play like that... I know a lot of kids follow his lead. I like to have it somewhere in the mid section.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

im a metaller by nature, so i tend to have my ibanez slung low, and my legs spread far apart so i can still solo and get a good grip on the guitar. although, sometimes i go a little bit Tom Morello if im doing FX-rich stuff, and have it high up for easy use of wah pedal.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

pes_laul Guest

I used to play around my belly but for the last six months or so I think my arms grew so nowadays I have it really low.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

My Strat and Wildkat I have about the same position as SVL's pic of the guy playing the Tele. I play my Dot belly high. I think my higher position is the result of sitting most of the time and carries over to when I am standing.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I play sitting down so I suppose it doesn't really matter, though on occasion when I play standing I like to have it up high the way Hubberjub does in that picture. I'd like to look cool with it slung low, but it's much easier to play it correctly up high. I think playing correctly is cooler.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

So why do jazz guys keep their guitar high up, and metal guys the opposite? I remember the punk dudes always seemed to have their guitars on their knees, that's how low they were.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    So why do jazz guys keep their guitar high up, and metal guys the opposite? I remember the punk dudes always seemed to have their guitars on their knees, that's how low they were.
    Maybe Jazzers care about how it sounds while metal heads care about how it looks.

As long as you get your point across, it's all good.

Cheers,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rkwrenn
    Maybe Jazzers care about how it sounds while metal heads care about how it looks.

As long as you get your point across, it's all good.

Cheers,

Bob

Does it make any difference in sound, when the guitar is strung high or low, or do you mean low hanging guitar = sloppy playing?
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I sure know I play sloppy if the guitar is hung low! Higher up - more control of the instrument. Since I don't have a chance to look cool anyway, with balding hair and glasses, I settle for playing better and keep my guitar high.

Post Thanks / Like

I play sloppy, too when the guitar is hanging low. just watched some videos of Slash....and yeah he seems to manage not to play sloppy and to look cool at the same time with the guitar hanging low.

Some guys are just born to look cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    So why do jazz guys keep their guitar high up...
    Because it approximates the reach and arm angles in the sitting position.
    ...and metal guys the opposite? I remember the punk dudes always seemed to have their guitars on their knees, that's how low they were.
    So they can offer an unobstructed view of their sock-laden codpiece.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if there's any correlation between height of the player and where s/he wears the guitar? I have a friend who's about 5'2", and she wears her guitar about mid-thigh. Wearing it any higher puts uncomfortable stress on her right wrist. Whereas I'm 6'1" and I like my guitar about belly level, maybe a little higher.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

I pick at belt level.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast