Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

How high or low do you wear your guitar? - Page 2

View Poll Results: How high the guitar ;-)

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Almost under my chin

2 7.69%
  • A place right on the belly, below my chest

18 69.23%
  • Covering the "bikini zone" :-)

6 23.08%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How high or low do you wear your guitar?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a metal guy and have never understood how some guys play with their guitars slung so low. BTW, most of my guitar heroes don't. You'll also notice that when Slash solos he often props the guitar neck-up to put it in a better position.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I wear mine up under my armpits like I wear my pants. Now you kids get off my lawn.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75

Does it make any difference in sound, when the guitar is strung high or low, or do you mean low hanging guitar = sloppy playing?
    Sorry for the unclear wording. IOW, Jazzers are more concerned with their sound and will position the instrument to be as advantageous as possible. How it looks is unimportant.

Cheers,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

As low as I can and still easily reach the highest frets.
    For me it's more comfortable that way, particularly with power chords/barre chords at the lower frets.
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is on my belly, but like the others have said, I don't feel like I have control over the instrument with it hanging below my belt.

I've never figured out how anyone can play with an instrument hung around their knees. Any lower and they'd have to start fretting the neck from the top.

Post Thanks / Like

Nearly as high as Hubberjub. I always play standing up, even though I only play for myself at home.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

in response to the metal thing...

i have my guitar low, but i stand sort of...wide stanced so i can solo pretty easy,

sometimes i kneel down and have the guitar across one knee while i tremolo pick or do some weird whammying riff.

i wish i could say 'while i sweep like a god' but i cant sweep so meh.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

i usually play sittin down.... but sometimes i attempt at standing...i usually have it like angus young. and my theory on the differences between jazz and metal players hold them at different heights is bcuz in metal, the distortion allows you to cheat alot and take shortcuts, therefore you dont need to play as accurate as you would if you were playing clean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

4 me, it's a compromise between ease and looks. I wear them as high s i can without looking stupid, nd to me that means so it hides the belt well.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm still struggling to figure out what fits me best. I have long arms and am 6'3". I think I tend towards the hip level.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

And a pick the size of a tea saucer, by the looks of it!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Remember, Jimmy Page, Eddie, they slung low, but, they play the articulate stuff with the neck pointing upwards at average a 45 degree angle.....when they're laying back over some power chords, they flatten it out....

I agree with the sitting method. Sit, and play normally. There is your starting place. Adjust your strap, stand up, and you should feel fine.

Over time, lower it a bit. When the slop factor sets in, you know you're at your limit, but, try playing with the neck pointed up....maybe you can do it, maybe you cant.

Jazz guys dont care about looks, they play, and the guitar is where it plays best, at the expense of all else..

Here's a good one...

Is he slung high or low? Ted Nugent, btw....

He's about center on the belt buckle...tho I'm sure he's not buckling his axe ....

Here's Eddie slung higher than normal.....

and ....Eddie's typical neck angle... though I can't find one of him in the older days....

Note Pagey's neck angle.... typical... like they're launching ICBM's...
    http://tubeworks.mortality.net - Tube Works / Mosvalve Fan Site

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Heh, I just posted this old pic of mine in another thread:

I suppose I hung the Les quite low in those days. Young and agile still ;-) circa '92. Nowadays, it's smack in the middle over my belt. And no more heavy LP's either...
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Les Paul.. that a Burgundy Standard?
    http://tubeworks.mortality.net - Tube Works / Mosvalve Fan Site

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moander
    Nice Les Paul.. that a Burgundy Standard?
    I think it was just some red...in bright light it was clearly bright red, showing some wood grain. Same colour has been used in studios etc. as well a lot.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Normally belt buckle area for me... I started wearing it like that because when I was playing strats, the plastic bit on the back for tremolo access would absorb the brunt of the damage if I was wearing a belt (tucked in shirt or not).

That, and due to my height (6'4"), that's as far as most standard straps will reach.
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on which guitar I am playing. LPs and Strats, compared to Semi hollow. I basically have two straps one for my Strap locks on my LP Standard, and another for the rest. I recently noticed that my 335 is much higher thane the stadard mid stomach, when I use this strap. I will probably have to get a strap for the 335.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a short guy with sorta stumpy arms (but long fingers, go figure!). I gotta wear my guitar a smidge higher, solidly on the belly.

Anytime I borrow someone else's guitar, I have to use my strap or shorten theirs.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast