Thread: another top 10 list

Post Thanks / Like

Default another top 10 list

In response to the ten "best" list, here is my list of the ten most "important" acoustic guitars.

#10. Ovation Balladeer. I'm not a big fan of Ovations but they did introduce the whole idea of acoustics made of something other than wood.
    #9 Guild Jumbo 12. F-212/412/512. At least for me what a Jumbo 12 should sound like.
    #8 Washburn Festival. Seems normal now but in the mid 80's the thin body acoustic electric was pretty revolutionary. Bettencourt's finger picking on "More than Words" made the idea popular.
    #7 Gibson L-1. Most often associated with Robert Johnson. The small blues box.
    #6 Epiphone Texan FT-79. McCartney used it to record Yesterday.
    #5 Harmony Sovereign H1260. A poor mans D-18 but Page put it to good use on the intro to "Stairway to Heaven".
    #4 Martin Om/000-28. Going to 14 frets clear with a solid headstock made the "Orchestra Model" the first modern flat top.
    #3 Gibson J-200 King of the Flattops.
    #2 Martin/Ditson Dreadnought. 1916, the first "dread". Out of that came the D-18 and D-28.
    #1 Martin D-45.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am curious EK, I have played a D-45 (for about 10 minutes), and certainly it has been played by many important players, but the D-28 is essentially the same guitar (depending on if it is a HD, HDxx-V, and accounting for scalloping and positioning of bracing etc., but I would hazard was played by many more working musicians than the D-45. Why D-45?

Not that I am necessarily arguing, just finding out more about your reasoning. The D-18, (Hank's guitar) is a big one too.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I am curious EK, I have played a D-45 (for about 10 minutes), and certainly it has been played by many important players, but the D-28 is essentially the same guitar (depending on if it is a HD, HDxx-V, and accounting for scalloping and positioning of bracing etc., but I would hazard was played by many more working musicians than the D-45. Why D-45?

Not that I am necessarily arguing, just finding out more about your reasoning. The D-18, (Hank's guitar) is a big one too.
    Good point. In terms of raw numbers you could make a pretty good case for the D-18. By it's second year, 1935, it was outselling the D-28. My reason for the D-45 is the iconic nature of the instrument. The guitar had a huge impact on what we think of as "Martin". Martin only made 91 D-45's before discontinuing the model in 1942. In 1968 Martin hired Mike Longworth to redo the prewar D-45. At the time Longworth had a good business, reworking D28's to make them into D-45's. This created the high end business Martin in now known for. But certainly you can make a pretty good case for the 28 or the 18. Both of those models came out as a result of the success of the Ditson dread, hence my #2 slot.

FWIW You could also make a pretty good case to place the Gibby J45 "workhorse" somewhere in the top 10. I did not as I could not really come up with a musician really known for playing one.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

all decent acoustic guitars seem the same to me

some are boomier than others, and have more/less frets and different scale lengths etc. but i feel little difference between a £4000 martin and a £500 gibson :/
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    all decent acoustic guitars seem the same to me
    :

Son, son, son. It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.:
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

well i am a fool when it comes to acoustic guitar

i have no shame in admitting that
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?