Thread: Cabinets: 2x12 vs 4x12

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cabinets: 2x12 vs 4x12

Well, I'm one step closer to my dream rig. I managed to get an Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP off eBay. And it sounds even better than I thought it would. :

Now for the problem: I don't have a cabinet for it. I'm currently running it through the speaker in my GA5. Not exactly ideal.

I've been looking at some of the cabinets (including one I've seen that matches the amp), but I can't decide between a 2x12 and a 4x12.
    The problem is, I'm going to university in a couple of years (hopefully) so I'm limited to one cabinet.
    Hopefully I'll be playing a few gigs once I'm there, if not before then. I mainly play Metal.

What are the advantages to a 4x12 cabinet compared to a 2x12? I know that the 2x12s take up less space and they're easier to transport, but how does the sound compare to a 4x12?

Thanks in advance.
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

4 x 12 is louder (moves more air), bigger, bulkier and heavier. That's it.

(Given that the two cabs are loaded w the same speakers. Different speakers will, of course, change the sound.)
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Volume's not really an issue (the amp has an emulated line out I could run through a P.A.). Bulk is though.

I'm thinking of getting one of these:

Harley Benton G212 with Celestion Vintage 30s

I've heard that the V30 speakers suit the amp, and from the few reviews I've found of it the cabinet seems decent quality (but then again, they were on HC...).
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

The Harle Benton Vintage cabinet is a real bargain. And afaik it's a good quality cab.
    I used to play with a 4x12 and switched to a 2x12 some time ago - if you want a small rig that's easy to transport a 2x12 is great.
    I think there's not a real advantage of a 4x12. The sound is more huge maybe.

Look at the Price of the cab and at the Price of a single V30