Thread: Mini's

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mini's

Can someone describe how a mini humbucker differs from a standard humbucker? I am referring to tone.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

they sound smaller :-)
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Can someone describe how a mini humbucker differs from a standard humbucker? I am referring to tone.
    Seymour can:
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...umbuckers_and/

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

Maybe it's the untrained ears or deteriorating hearing, but I hear little difference between the SM-1 Vintage Mini Humbucker and the LW-CH1 Live Wire Classic. Of course I am running it through a computer, but it is connected to a good Altec speaker system.

I've heard or read where people claim mini's are a waste, but I don't hear the difference that would cause me to be down on them.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

strum, the difference in sound/tone between HBs and mini HBs is, well, "mini".
    It certainly wouldn't be a deciding factor in my purchasing a particular guitar unless, of course, the mini's sounded crappy. But that's true for HBs, too.

The aesthetic factor might be what some people dislike, wrongly thinking that mini HBs are "small" and therefore put out a weaker or smaller sound. That's bollocks. It's all in their heads...they're already convinced.
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigG

The aesthetic factor might be what some people dislike, wrongly thinking that mini HBs are "small" and therefore put out a weaker or smaller sound. That's bollocks. It's all in their heads...they're already convinced.
    I think you are right about the preconceived ideas or opinion about mini's (or any other product or gear). Too often people sort of get caught up in the opinions of comments they read and it becomes that herd mentality.

I am looking at a guitar with a mini in the neck position and don't have one at a local store to try out first. I need to sell a guitar to buy a guitar and that part of the deal fell through this morning, so it's back to square one.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, if each active member (282 at the moment) would send me $1.31205673758865 (US), I could get the guitar.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I think you are right about the preconceived ideas or opinion about mini's (or any other product or gear). Too often people sort of get caught up in the opinions of comments they read and it becomes that herd mentality.

I am looking at a guitar with a mini in the neck position and don't have one at a local store to try out first. I need to sell a guitar to buy a guitar and that part of the deal fell through this morning, so it's back to square one.
    Hey, strummy, I hear that! If I get serious GAS for any new git or amp anytime soon, I, too, will be selling one (or two) to get one!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

pes_laul Guest

[QUOTE=just strum]BTW, if each active member (282 at the moment) would send me $1.31205673758865 (US), I could get the guitar.[/QUOTE

Im proud of you. thats some intense math there

Post Thanks / Like

If you aren't needing to compensate for anything, the mini's should be just fine.

Seriously though, just about any two pickups are going to sound at least somewhat different, best bet is to give 'em a listen if you can arrange that.

Post Thanks / Like

To me, the mini's I've played have a bit more note clarity than standard-sized HB's. They tend to have more high-end than a regular HB, as opposed to a P-90 which tends to have a midrange bump.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Try this. Jason has some pretty good sound clips. I think you can get a pretty good idea.
    http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/mer...bucker-pickups
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.