Thread: How do YOU EQ your amp?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do YOU EQ your amp?

Just thought I'd throw this out there to see what different people do with their amps in terms of setting their EQ.

Lately with my amps, whether two channel or single channel, I've been setting the EQ for my neck pickup on my strat. Of course, then it's way too bright for my bridge pickup, so I find myself either rolling back on the tone knob on my strat, or using the EQ on my Boss ME-70 to compensate for the bridge pickup.

Just curious how others set their amps...would like to hear how you all do it too.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's a good way to set the EQ - if you take a too smooth sound for the bridge-PU it get's too dark on the neck.
    I take the stratposition 4 (neck/middle) an set the EQ to a nice cleansound with a bit edge.
    I don't like the toneshaping with an ext. EQ very much. I think the tonepoti is a very useful tool - as well as the vol.poti.

Post Thanks / Like

I always EQ my amps with the guitar's selector switch set at the "middle" position. This gives a nice balance of bass and treb and usually works fine for neck and bridge settings.

TS, I know you have a Peavey DB 210 (man, how I LOVE that amp!). My EQ is set as follows on that one: Bass 6 mid 6.5 treb 7.5 (with 12 being the max). Usually the EQs on all my amps fall within one or two clicks of straight up (12 o' clock), w only small adjustments needed for buckers/single coils.
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigG
    I always EQ my amps with the guitar's selector switch set at the "middle" position. This gives a nice balance of bass and treb and usually works fine for neck and bridge settings.

TS, I know you have a Peavey DB 210 (man, how I LOVE that amp!). My EQ is set as follows on that one: Bass 6 mid 6.5 treb 7.5 (with 12 being the max). Usually the EQs on all my amps fall within one or two clicks of straight up (12 o' clock), w only small adjustments needed for buckers/single coils.
    The Delta Blues 210 EQ works very well for both channels it seems. I usually EQ mine at 8 on treble, 6 on mids, and 5 on bass, so it seems we have them set pretty much the same.

I made a slight change to the DB tubes and went with the Blues Kit from Eurotubes....it puts a 12DW7/ECC83 2 in the V2 position and it really smooths out the overdrive a good bit.

I'll have to try setting the EQ on my Bandmaster VM to the mid pickup and check out how that works with my strats. :
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Good question. Now that I've got a guitar with a tone knob for the first time in years, I'm leaning towards making it pretty bright and then using the tone knob/effects to bring it down. That's at least the plan for the clean tone. Hi-gain stuff comes next
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually eq my amps flat. 12 o'clock mostly across the board, and then I use volume and tone knobs on my guitar to shape the tone the way I like it. My amps are all fairly bright sounding to start with, by the way.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My one amph is set at 5 across the board. Basically how Spud suggested I set it when I first got it. I do the rest with the tone knobs on my guitar, and tend to forget my amph EQ. Oh, and by the way, I love typing "Amph". In fact, I now have a habit of pronouncing amp with a "F" sound at the end. LOL!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I start with everything set to 5. No treble boost, low input on a twin-style amp. I usually trim the highs a bit to compensate for my overdrive and don't do a lot more fiddling with the amp. I usually use the guitar's tone knob to adjust between settings for neck and bridge p/ups.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, make a decision on which pick up position you will play mostly. It makes a huge difference. I play mostly the middle position on my Strat and LP, so my amp is eq-ed to that position. Usually, I put bass, and treble on 1 o' clock
    and middle on 8 o' clock, because this gives you a wider range to regulate the midrange through your tonepotis. From here on I start to adjust the sound. when the middle position sounds perfect I switch to the bridge pos which is a little bit too bright logically, so I back the tone and readjust the amp for middle pos once again of course with the bridge tonepoti backed! I can now switch between both positions and have great sound. Of course this also works for other combinations, maybe your are a neck pos player...you know what I wanna say.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I play along with CD's ect.and they all sound different,so now I just set it straight up and tweak alittle from there and go for it,I am finding alot of tone comes from my hands and my physical approach of playing(hard,soft,pick attack,fingers ect.) Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

mids at 9 or 10, treble at about 7 and bass at about 6.

and my BOSS GE-7 set up pretty similar with some of the low and high frequencies cut out.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?