Thread: Groovetube FatFinger

pes_laul Guest

Default Groovetube FatFinger

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ID=2502662#new

I was looking at what rig Joe Satriani was using at it said he used one of these. Apparently it's a sustainer that fits on your headstock.

Does anyone own or have played with one because I'm kinda curious about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Inexpensive "C" clamp will provide same effect: mass = mass however attained.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used one either. It would be an interesting experiment to see if it really made any difference. But like the man says, "mass=mass." Try something like a C clamp before you but one of the Fat Fingers.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never tried one of the GT Fat Fingers, but I can think of a couple advantages over a C clamp. First, C clamps are usually made of die cast metal, sometimes iron, IIRC; the Fat Finger is made of brass, which will have more mass. Of course you can get huge C clamps to make up for this.

Second, the Fat Finger is made to attach to a guitar's headstock so it won't mar it. YMMV with a C clamp.

Still, as Rocket and Spud pointed out a C clamp might be a good idea to try before you plunk down the cash for a Fat Finger.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Mass is mass, whether it be brass, steel, platinum, or huge burlap bag-O-feathers. Brass is no more beneficial than any other similar source of mass. Now sympathetic resonance is another matter altogether... but we're not discussing that and I have no data on brass/wood or other combinations. I'd guess it's highly subjective depending on material combinations.

Post Thanks / Like

Its kinda funny that things like these are like dress fashion(like wow that was in back in the '60s)because I remember about 20 yrs ago when they were sellin a brass block that bolted to your headstock for more sustain!!!Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

I think that was the GT Fathead, Sumi. Mr. Pittman is pretty good at selling things
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Went to www.harmony-central.com to get a more recent take on this product and the first reviewer stated something interesting which proved to be true with some others that commented. Bottom line, it can be an improvement, or lessen what you already had.

I tried a custom version of the Fathead years ago on my steel guitar with no notable change.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone remember the brand of guitar that came out in the late 80's early 90's that had metal inserts in the body to add mass? That was an interesting concept.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Mass is mass, whether it be brass, steel, platinum, or huge burlap bag-O-feathers. Brass is no more beneficial than any other similar source of mass. Now sympathetic resonance is another matter altogether... but we're not discussing that and I have no data on brass/wood or other combinations. I'd guess it's highly subjective depending on material combinations.
    I think his point was that the heavier the material the smaller footprint it might
    have. You might not look funny with a brass Fatfinger on your guitar, but you
    might look a little odd with a one pound burlap bag of feathers hanging from
    your guitar.

Course, I could be wrong....
    Last edited by Perfect Stranger; July 1st, 2009 at 06:26 AM.
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

pes_laul Guest

Me and my dad checked a bit more into this.

We took a C -Clamp (not a very big one) and taped the ends (so it didn't scratch) and we put it on and did comparisons. I must say I did notice a pretty good difference. My chords shimmered out longer and a lot of low end seemed to accompany my guitar. also in distortion my notes would rong out a lot longer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ID=2502662#new

I was looking at what rig Joe Satriani was using at it said he used one of these. Apparently it's a sustainer that fits on your headstock.

Does anyone own or have played with one because I'm kinda curious about it.

You can even use a capo for this.

=-) PJ