Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time in 20 years... going jamming!

Post Thanks / Like

Default First time in 20 years... going jamming!

I got an invite from an old friend last week to sit in with his band as they rehearse. Feeling pretty excited as it's been a long time since I've sat in and played with a band. I went over their current song list and tried to brush up on 7 or 8 that I already know, and spent a bit of time this week on another 6 or 7 that I know bits and pieces of. The rest I know a bit of, and will try and pick a few new songs each week to get up to speed.

I'm hoping I can fit in without sticking out like a sore thumb. I have no expectations other than trying to fit in, contribute, and have a good time!

Wish me luck folks :
    Cheers
    David
    Last edited by Algonquin; June 29th, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck and have fun! That's what it's all about.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck You'll do fine
    http://www.soundclick.com/sacco
    http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

Reverend of Rock n Roll .

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet, best of luck, David! I'm sure you will do great.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck, although you will not need it. You will just have a lot of fun.

I started playing music with a guy about a year ago and he sings, plays keyboards and guitar. Over the last 6 months we've grown to be a 4-piece with drums, bass, guitar and the singer/multi-instrumentalist. It's been a lot of fun and this last weekend we played at a barbecue hosted by the bass player. We had an audience of about 20-30 people and it was a blast.

Post Thanks / Like

Have fun and don't forget the ear plugs.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the encouragement folks... very much appreciated!

I spent some time this week cleaning up guitars... changing strings and such and have decided to just take my Tele, PV 30 and some pedals. The rehearsal space has amps already, but I figured I'd go with at least one amp I'm familiar and comfortable with.
    And Spuds... thank you very much for the reminder! I did pick up some ear plugs earlier this week that I will be using tomorrow!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Remember to enjoy yourself David, that's what it's all about. Remember that, and I'm sure you will fit in perfectly.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is great! I am excited for you. I sure you will have a blast. Make that first mistake, then plow on through and have a great time!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

A bucket of luck coming your way David! Have fun
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

REMEMBER HAVE FUN DAVID!

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool!! Have a blast!!! Let us know how it all goes.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man!!! I wish I could do the same thing. I can imagine how you feel.

What type of music will it be may I ask ? Don't forget deodorant and a towel to dry your hands on: Oh yeah, cheap sunglasses look very cool so have a pair of them.

Have you practiced up on guitar faces, that is a must especially if it has been a while. You may want to consult with Krash on that.

All the best David and gobs of mojo goin at ya

M

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you David! Watch out for those groupies.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Well that was just a whole lot of fun. A good bunch of easy going guys that just want to play some music and have a good time doing it. They played quite a few songs that I wasn't familiar with, but the guitarist would quickly walk me through some of the chord changes and I'd wing it through the song. I think I did ok, but I have lots of room for improvement. Their singer is on a bit of a hiatus, and some girls are filling in for the time being. One of them let loose and really impressed me with her vocals on the Cults 'She Sells Sanctuary'... awesome!

These folks made me feel welcome from the get go, and I have to say I didn't feel out of place even when I was making my snafu's

Looking forward to playing again with them next week... I hope this keeps up because it was a great feeling!
    Gearlist:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds great! Glad it worked out for tonight and I hope it keeps going for ya!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I know exactly what it feels like to jam after a 20yr hiatus... see what you have to look forward to now? : Another mid-life rockstar in the making. Welcome to the club
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments Gents... playing music within a group atmosphere is really a wonderful feeling. It's really amazing how fast 3+ hours of practice can go... I was a bit weary at first, but the time just flew by!

I want to continue to take my amp with me, but I really need to work on creating a new pedal board for ease of setup and tear down.
    Gearlist:

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool sounds like great fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast