Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avatar Speaker Cab

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Avatar Speaker Cab

I am thinking about getting either a 2x12 or a 1x12 Avatar cab. I need some advice! Which one should I get? All my gear is in the basement at home, and I worry about hauling a 2x12 up and down the stairs. The Avatar 1x12 gets great reviews and it sounds really big from what I hear.

I want to "travel light" but I want a good, big sound too, of course.

I plan on using the cab with both the Vox AD50VT and the Reverend Hellhound - both these amps have speaker out - but I will never play both amps at the same time.

My first goal is decent acoustic guitar, then a cab, then a head, then ________ (fill in the blanks with gear of choice).
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I like 2 x 12 cabs just because of the fuller sound. A 1 x 12 cab stacked under a combo will definitely give you a fuller sound, but not the same as a 2 x 12.

If you want portability, I would get the 1 x 12 cab or just keep my rig the way it is. If you want to add a bigger sound to your rig, I'd go for the 2 x 12. The only thought I have regarding either choice is how the speakers would match up with the AD50VT.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Check these guys out too since you are still shopping.
    http://www.earcandycabs.com/

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Spud, but I can get the Avatar in Canada. Those cabs seem more expensive too.

I am tempted to get the 2x12. This one maybe - http://www.steamcomusic.com/avatar/d...ts/g212v3.html

Or will do 1x12 move enough air?
    http://www.steamcomusic.com/avatar/
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Rob - please get the 2x12.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert

Either way, it will add to your tone. The 1 x 12 will add some fullness to your rig, and the 2 x 12 will add some as well, giving you a little bit more bottom end. I'm partial to 2 x 12's, but it all depends on what sound you're looking for.

If you get a chance, hit a local music store and try out some different configurations and go from there. Avatar makes a great cab either way, so you can't go wrong.

The only comparison I can offer is when I was using Line 6 amps. I had a Flex III Plus with an extension cab, and also had a Flextone XL with 2 12's. Both had totally different tonal characteristics. More thump from a 2 x 12 cab for sure.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

2x12!

But it will be a heavy thing to carry to all those optician stores you gig in.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone says 2x12..... you guys are gonna ruin my back!

Post Thanks / Like

If you got the 1x12 from Ear Candy you wouldn't need a 2x12 Avatar or any 4x12 for that matter. Read up on them bro.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Robert, you have some choices here. First, a tuned and ported cab from earcandy will be much more efficient, delivering much more punch than the avatar cabs. Second, by using an alnico speaker you can save on weight, and gain efficiency. The downside of this is alnicos are more expensive. At 51 yrs. old, I don't have any trouble carrying my 2x12 cab, but if weight is a concern, I'd certainly look into a 1x12 ported and tuned cab with an efficient alnico speaker, I think it would be more than loud enough and have plenty of punch, although it may cost as much as a less efficient and heavier 2x12. If you've heard "ported and tuned" PA speakers, you'll know how much better the sound is when the air is moved in such a manner as to get the best sound from a small enclosure. Hope this helps.
    Glenn

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped in today at L & M in Edmonton, and what do I see? A used 2x12 Avatar cab for $210.00 (CDN) !! I am not sure I'll keep the Celestion Seventy-Eigthy speakers, but I thought for that price, I'd better get it anyway. I can always experiment with speakers. At least I have a good cabinet to start from. I will pick it up on Wed - it didn't fit in my car today (been camping). So, I'll report more once I get some time to play (with) it.

I must say, it is very light. Surprisingly light. They had a Dr. Z and a Fender 2x12, and I could barely move those beasts!

Post Thanks / Like

Oooooh, I played my tube combo, the Reverend Hellhound today through my Avatar 2x12. Balls! Balls! This little boxy combo now can kick like a big Fender amp! Exciting! I think my Vox is at the risk of dust collecting for a while. I am very impressed by this. My guitar sound is now much "bigger". Can't wait for a decent sized gig so I can turn up....hehe

The cheap speakers in it, Seventy 80, are not bad at all. I think the cab makes the biggest difference, but some good quality Eminence would probably improve an already fine sound.

I was thinking I need a head to go with the cab, but really, I don't. The Hellhound now really sounds like a hound from Hell, and I see no reason to buy a new tube amp. Not right now anyway. Some day I'll get some fancy tube head, but for now this will keep me happy for a good while.

When I tested the cab, I played a Dr. Z Delta 88. What a monster amp! 88 watts of tube attitude through this cab in a small practice room. I felt like a little ant on the highway! Great amp for sure - the tone was fantastic - but way too much oomph for me.

There are better sounding cabs I'm sure, but I am happy with this baby. It is light, looks very vintage with the Fender-style grill cloth and sounds big and tight. Made my day!
    Last edited by Robert; August 22nd, 2006 at 08:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Robert i was looking at them after reading your post , they look great and are highly regarded on other forums .. hmmm..love to have a small 4-10 cabinet ..note to self , aug 22/06 Robert swears off all impending amp gas attacks ... put up a couple of pics ...6S9L
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marty DiBergi: "This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."
    Nigel Tufnel: That's just nitpicking, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

GAS attacks will likely force me to buy more amps... I admit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Does your back hurt now? Good score. Remember though you'll blow another $200 or more for replacement speakers making your investment higher.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kinda dumb, so forgive me if this is (yet another) stupid question: obviously the hellhound has a speaker out connection, does it cancel the speaker on the combo? I have a "signal" out on my Yamaha 2x12 combo, but not sure what it's for (old and somewhat obscure amp, not much info out there). How can I test if this is for an external speaker/cab? Any risk in plugging in a PA speaker/monitor to the amp or the speaker? I like the idea of a 2x12 cab to increase the bottom end (plus it looks absolutely sick!).

Thanks,

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

No, on my Hellhound, the combo speaker stays engaged. Pretty cool.

Signal out sounds like a line out feature. Not the same as speaker out! Try it through a PA.

T2TB, the cab is VERY light, so my back is still in fine condition!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah!! I finally got around to getting one... well..its in the shipping stage... Suppose to be "Like New" found on ebay for around $250 instead of the near $325 at Avatar.. so the wait begins... got a closed back... main reason.. we have "cats"..

AVATAR G212H Custom closed back, deluxe Black tolex, Wheat fabric grill guitar cab. It has 2 Hellatone 60L 12in speakers

I already added this link to what a hellatone 60L sounds like.. but.. here it is again... now if I could get that amp, guitar and experience playing it.. I should sound just like the last half of the clip...lol

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=4086172

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Hot D, Justa! Are you gonna put the powerblock through it? You're gonna blow the rafters offa your place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast