View Poll Results: What kind of guitar fiddler are you?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plug and play - don't want to fiddle around too much. Set it and forget it.

10 35.71%
  • I like to always tweak knobs and buttons and mess around with my tone

6 21.43%
  • I'm somewhere in between

12 42.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you a plug and play person, or do you like fiddling?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are you a plug and play person, or do you like fiddling?

I like to just plug and play - set it and forget it. That means I spend time tweaking the tone to how I like it, and I trust me ears only when I do this, not my eyes. I leave eq flat and tweak it from there. With some pedals, I turn the tone knob down a bit, or I might find that two gain pedals sound best in a particular order, etc. So, I do tweak and fiddle, but once I find what works well, I set it and forget it. For me, fiddling fast is good, because then I don't get stuck in little details that won't matter anyway.

Some people like to constantly tweak their rig, spend hours on dialing knobs. Not me. I like changing pedals around and guitars and so on, but once I plug the whole rig in, I want to PLAY, not mess around. Once I got my trusted gear set up, I only fiddle when something's wrong, otherwise, let's rock'n roll!

What kind of guitar slinger are you?
    Last edited by Robert; June 30th, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

pes_laul Guest

I'm somewhere in between. I tend to always spend a lot of band practice dialing in the right tone but once I'm good we get things rolling.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't gig any longer, but when I did I was playing the piano and synth. Playing guitar now and for the last 30 years I play along with a lot of music on the CD player and everyone's tone or sound is different.

I might fiddle with it a little to get the general idea, but I won't sit for hours trying to capture a particular player's tone when I have no idea what sort of equipment, let alone what guitar he's (or she) is playing.

I've really only worked on two like that, and it took awhile and is still not spot-on, but it's very close. I had to write down the settings of both the guitar(s) and amps to make sure I could reproduce it.

Most times I don't fool with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I guess I am plug and play, although it takes me a while to get there. I fiddle until I find a tone I like, and then I tend to leave it. That is true for most of the pedals on my board. In fact, I am sure I am leaving many tones on the table by not experimenting more. So I answered plug and play, because that is what I do, though I will continue to try and experiment more.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I'm certainly not anal about this at all but I do like to spend just a little time making sure the tone is acceptable. By that I really mean more that the sound is 'working" that it's really 'happening.' I like the guitar and amp to be in communication with each other and are working back and forth. I don't know if this makes any sense but I don't know how else to describe it.

After years playing I can usually tweak a tone or volume knob on the amp or pedal and get what I'm happy with pretty quickly. I would much rather play than tone hunt.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm a 'set it, and forget it' (Ron Pepeil) kind of player. I like my pedals, but I don't tweak them that often, and I don't fiddle with the amp eq very much. I just like to play, and I think that how you attack the strings makes the biggest difference in tone... but I could be way off!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

I've voted plug and play. Don't spend too much time tweaking. I set one sound and that's it.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Put me down for just "play", (should be an option)... I can even live with someone else doing the "plugging".

My (and only "my") observations:
    I've had many ex-bandmates that were obsessed with micro-tweaking every minute nuance to conjure some phantom, (and unobtainable,) summum bonum nirvana of "tone".
    Almost always played Strat-shaped headstocks and alway relegated to "ex" status in short time.
    Although they consider themselves technicians they never seem to become satisfied with what they are doing "technically".
    Artists love 'em, technicians hate 'em... go figure!

I could add volumes but would only serve the divisive demons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When I grow up, I'll be a plug-n-play guy, but for now, I'm more of a tweak geek, noodling and experimenting with everything to create the tones I'm looking for.

Owning a EVJ, I couldn't leave it as is. (who can/should?) Had to have a tone pot, and an attenuator panel in the back. I guess I'll always be a tweaker at some level, even though my goal is to set and forget.

EDIT:
    A year of owning a Tweaker 15 means I should be fiddling with the amp quite a bit, but that's not usually the case. When I run the POD HD-500, I set the amp as neutral as it gets and forget it.
    When I play just the amp, I'll set it to one of about 3 or 4 favorite settings and forget it until a song or style needs a different tone or approach.
    Last edited by Tig; April 9th, 2011 at 11:33 PM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I like to just set down and play. Up until now I mostly concentrated on what I was playing or trying to play. Now that I have a bit more experience I find I am exploring my amph and guitar controls more. Maybe because I am not paying as much attention to what I am learning. I do like to just grab the guitar and play though.

M

Post Thanks / Like

For me, tone inspires playing. For certain songs I would tweak for weeks and then set and forget. If writing, then sound is a major thing for me. I find something that inspires or makes a riff or chord progression show itself, that's when the magic starts. I don't know if I can have one without the other.
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

the settings on my GE-7 seem to change 5 or 6 times everytime i plug the pedalboard in.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably more a plug and play unless it's a new toy.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

When I think of plug and play my Supro is in my mind and I dig that little amph cause that's what it is plug and play.Guitar,amph no tone knob just vol all the way up the rest comes from the guitar,K.I.S.S. Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

It depends...there are some nights I'll tweak the EQ on my amp and it sounds like heaven, then a few days later, that setting just doesn't sound right for some reason! I'll even switch amps on occasion for different tones.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

i've admitted it before and i will do so again right now...

my name is R_of_G, and i'm a tone junkie.

i could, and do, spend hours dialing in fun and interesting tones. i do make notes of these setting so times when i just want to play i can find the right tone quickly and get down to business, but i have plenty of nights where it's all about the search for tone.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

For me it depends on what I'm doing. There are certain pieces of my guitar rig that I just plug and play, and not mess with it, but other things I tend to tweak as I change styles, etc.

I tend to set-it-and-forget-it with my amp. But I am more of a tweaker with my guitar volume/tone controls and my effects. I like to turn various pedals on/off and use different settings on my guitar to capture different sounds. I hardly ever touch the controls on my effects other than tap-tempo and on/off, but I do like to have the right effects egaged for certain songs as I play. I'm probably not as anal about this as some players, but I do like to change up my sound as I play different styles. I don't like to use one sound for a whole gig.

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I like to just plug and play - set it and forget it. That means I spend time tweaking the tone to how I like it, and I trust me ears only when I do this, not my eyes. I leave eq flat and tweak it from there. With some pedals, I turn the tone knob down a bit, or I might find that two gain pedals sound best in a particular order, etc. So, I do tweak and fiddle, but once I find what works well, I set it and forget it. For me, fiddling fast is good, because then I don't get stuck in little details that won't matter anyway.

Some people like to constantly tweak their rig, spend hours on dialing knobs. Not me. I like changing pedals around and guitars and so on, but once I plug the whole rig in, I want to PLAY, not mess around. Once I got my trusted gear set up, I only fiddle when something's wrong, otherwise, let's rock'n roll!

What kind of guitar slinger are you?

I am pretty much with you. I may adjust some here and there from my favorite settings, but generally find what I like and stick there. EDIT: oh, I already answered this. Well good to see my answer is still pretty much the same. ;-)
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

For guitar, since I'm pretty much only a bedroom player, it's set and forget. I rarely mess with the EQ.

Bass is another matter though. It's not so much dialing in some magnificent tone, as it is finding a workable sound for the room and the band mix.

Boundary effects in different rooms plays hell with bass frequencies and I'll use the EQ to try to get rid of boominess or dead spots to whatever extent that I can.

From that point, then I try to get my tone to slot in well with the guitars and drums so that everyone is heard clearly.

I may also make subtle adjustments with the active EQ or pickup pan of the bass for different tunes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast