Thread: GAS solved for the moment - got new studio monitors today

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default GAS solved for the moment - got new studio monitors today

I mentioned earlier my GAS was lacking, but then someone mentioned monitors, and I took that bait right away. Of course I needed monitors - I have been using headphones only for too long.

It so happened the the local music store just got in some inexpensive small studio monitors. Eden E3 they are called. Really cheap too, just over hundred CDN bucks. I just plugged them in now as I am typing this, and I'm listening to Brent Mason and wow! What an improvement!

I am not an expert on monitors but I think this is a great buy for this price. They are really small, but plenty loud for what I do. The sound is very clear and flat - not an emphasized bass frequency - which I like for mixing and just listening to music. I can really hear the reverbs and subtle sounds in the recordings, and remember, I have a serious hearing loss already.

I might hook them up to the TV one day too, to see how that will sound. Our TV speakers are pretty crappy. For this purpose, it is likely better with monitors that have a strong bass.

I am happy with this purchase! A LOT for the money, I gotta say! My music collection on my computer never sounded this good before at home!

See details about the speakers at http://www.eden-electronics.com/prod...ors/index.asp#

They are on sale right now on their website for 70 bucks.

The E5 is the bigger brother.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

nice :

im still using headphones

expensive...but inadequate headphones.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Those look pretty cool! I might need to include a pair in our remodeled media area, to run off the computer, and maybe for tv listening. Do you think they would work as the kind of speaker you use to boost speech in movies, so you don't have to have the sound up to hear the dialogue, then get blasted out by the next scene's music?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know Steve, but I am going to use these when watching my next movie, to find out. It might be tonight. I really love these already! And for 70 bucks? Wholly Macaroni On A Stick!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They need more foods like macaroni on a stick, and more meats in tubes, and served on a stick etc. Just as an aside, it is so hard not to talk politics today down here in the states . . . sheesh! I look forward to your report. $70 is darned sweet for some decent little speaks.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't heard the Eden monitors. Once they sound good enough to improve your playing, all the better ! Congrats !!!!
    Last edited by Monkus; July 3rd, 2009 at 08:25 PM.
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Those look pretty cool! I might need to include a pair in our remodeled media area, to run off the computer, and maybe for tv listening. Do you think they would work as the kind of speaker you use to boost speech in movies, so you don't have to have the sound up to hear the dialogue, then get blasted out by the next scene's music?
    Try a graphic EQ in your playback system. You can boost the mids at the vocal frequencies.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Those look great, Robert! Cool specs on them. Hope you enjoy them.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    Those look great, Robert! Cool specs on them. Hope you enjoy them.
    They are really sweet for this price. Maybe I'll get really good ones one day, but I am sure these will last a long time for my needs.