Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jackson DK2M Review

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I just found this handy site for the various trems that come on Jackson/Charvel guitars. Here's the section on the JT580LP, including pictures.
    cool, thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Just as an update, yesterday I was playing my DK2M and thoroughly abused the whammy bar as if it owed me money. I could pull it sharp about two full steps (I probably could have gone even sharper but I was paranoid about breaking a string, even though the guitar itself wasn't giving me any indication that I was in danger of that). I dive bombed until the strings stuck to the pickup poles. Lather, rise, repeat. When I checked it with my tuner today I was surprised to see that my low E had gone the tiniest bit flat and the high E the tiniest bit sharp, but that was about it. Rather impressive. So do I feel the need to immediately yank the JT580LP out and replace it with an OFR? Nope.

What I do desperately feel the need to do is fix the intonation. That's going to drive me a bit crazy. I don't know if I want to get a trem stop and then do it or just figure out another way to block it temporarily.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

I placed an order with Axcessories.com on Monday for a trem stop and extra springs so that I can go back to four springs. I prefer the extra stiffness (sig material right there). Since shipping is a flat $6.95 no matter what you order I ordered a trem arm (they have the ones that Ping makes, like my old Speedloader) and a set of black Schaller strap locks. If GC comes through with a trem arm soon I'll just keep it for a spare. Otherwise when this order comes in I'm just going to call them and tell them to credit my card for the amount that I paid for the replacement. Eventually I'll order a set of Schaller buttons for my bass.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Got my stuff in the mail today! It's now got four springs on it. The trem stop is in place, awaiting the inevitable string change. I found out that unlike my previous guitars, the screws for the Schallers are the same diameter as the originals, just shorter. No need for the old wood-glue-and-toothpick trick. I also figured out that Schaller uses a 13mm nut on those strap locks. Thankfully I bought a set of metric wrenches a while back. I also found that a 5/8" wrench does a good job of keeping the other side of the strap lock in place while tightening the nut down. The new Ping-made trem arm does the trick. It's angled away from the guitar more than I'm used to, but I don't mind it. It also seems easy to keep it in place, which is very nice.

Going to call GC and try to get credit for the trem arm tomorrow.

Now that I can finally play it with a strap, I discovered that it is very well balanced. No neck-dive at all. Even though it is heavier than my previous guitars, it doesn't feel heavy at all with a strap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12