Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Jackson DK2M Review
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jackson DK2M Review

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jackson DK2M Review

Jackson DK2M

As mentioned elsewhere on here, on the 19th of last month I sold my old Fender and Floyd to get a Jackson DK2M. Am I happy with my choice, or do I wish for a do-over? Here are the specs on it:
    Made-in-Japan
    Dinky-style alder body with cutaways on the lower horn and on the back by the neck plate
    Maple neck and fretboard with black delrin (read: plastic) inlays and a matte finish, thin neck (maybe a thin C-shape? not as thin as some but not as thick as a standard Fender), compound radius 12"-16", jumbo frets, standard Jackson pointy headstock
    Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz pickups
    One volume, one tone, three-way switch
    Jackson JT580LP Licensed Floyd Rose tremolo

One thing that struck me right away is how much better the construction is on this guitar than my Floyd. The paintjob is very nice. The neck sits tightly in the pocket. The control cavity is shielded. Nothing is cockeyed or otherwise out-of-spec. I had been warned that some DK2Ms have their necks slanted in the pocket (i.e. the low-E side is lower than the high-E), but mine doesn't do that. My only complaint is that for some reason the trem springs have this tarnish on them. I can't tell what the deal is with it. If it proves to be an issue, I can swap them out easily enough. There is also the tiniest little bit of fret sprout in places. Since the neck has black binding, I'm loathe to try to do anything about it. We'll see how I feel when winter comes back.

The alder body is much heavier than my old, basswood guitars. It's not Les Paul heavy, but more than I'm used too. It won't be an issue. I had to re-EQ my amp because this guitar is darker than my Floyd was (no surprise since my old Screamin' Demon and Area 61s were quite bright). A quick little treble boost and drop in bass and we're in business.

I really like the Duncans in this. The JB sounds just OK clean, but with any level of distortion it sounds clear and punchy. I thought I'd be itching for another Demon, but now I'm not so sure. The Jazz has been a revelation. I really like it for clean and/or bluesy stuff. I've heard people describe it as a humbucker with the soul of a single coil. I'd agree with that. I also understand now why Jimi likes the middle position on HH guitars so much. Despite the JB and Jazz being quite different in output and tonality, they come together nicely in the middle. I think I can see why Seymour Duncan himself calls this his favorite combination.

The thing that really struck me about this guitar is how low I can get the action without any buzzing. I hate fret buzz, so I usually set my guitars a bit higher than I might otherwise like. This one is set low, low, low. If I could only shred, I could do so on this guitar

The jury is still out on the trem. The GC goons sold the bar with a different guitar and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. It's got three springs with one in the middle and the other two in a V formation. When I had them put on 10s I should have had them put in a fourth spring instead of cranking down the claw. Oh well. I've pushed down on it with my palm and pulled up on it with my fingers and it's come back into tune, but I haven't had the chance to dive bomb with it yet. It certainly is not the quality of the Floyd that was on my Speedloader. There's some slop in the fine tuners--nothing awful, but still noticeable. The block looks somewhat crude and smallish. If it stays in tune, I won't worry about it. If it doesn't, an Original or Gotoh Floyd is a drop-in replacement.

The only mods I would consider doing soonish is adding a Floyd Rose trem stop. Otherwise, restringing and intonating a Floyd Rose equipped guitar is a pain. I'd like to get some black Schaller strap-locks too.

So am I happy with my purchase? You bet! Do I have the slightest urge to have a do-over? Surprisingly, no. This is the nicest guitar I've ever owned by a good margin. Did I mention it's a little bit pointy too?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Cool bro! I have played a number of those and they are nice guitars congrats : .
    Guitars
    Washburn's
    Chicago Custom Shop USA's 1995 MG 122,100,102,120, 1994 MG-122, one off 1994 Prototype, 1999 WM-4, 200 3-ST Stealth
    Carvins 1990 Pearl Pink reverse headstock X220C, 1991 Sapphire Blue Flame V220R.
    Accoustics
    LTD 88 Takamine

Amps
    Fender Prosonic combo
    100 watt custom one off Prosonic head
    Fender 2/12 cab
    2 Avatar 2/12 cabs- Blond Oxblood with 75's and Red with Black Vin 30's
    Yamaha 4/12

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the review Matt! I am glad that you like it, and it sounds like it was a great deal on a professional quality instrument.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like you are in pointy metal heaven at the moment Marnold

I still think that your Fender was awesome!

(btw whats that turtle thing to the left?)
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    I still think that your Fender was awesome!
    I agree. I would still have it if it had a neck pickup. I really wanted it to have more flexibility. I debated about having it routed for a neck pickup but I was afraid of wrecking its structural integrity. Since I can't afford to have a huge Spud-esque stable of guitars, I really couldn't afford to have a one-trick pony. If I could have gotten away with just selling my Floyd, I would have.

(btw whats that turtle thing to the left?)
    That's my kids' sandbox. It doesn't sound like much without the optional 4x10 cab
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I agree. I would still have it if it had a neck pickup. I really wanted it to have more flexibility. I debated about having it routed for a neck pickup but I was afraid of wrecking its structural integrity. Since I can't afford to have a huge Spud-esque stable of guitars, I really couldn't afford to have a one-trick pony. If I could have gotten away with just selling my Floyd, I would have.
    Cannot say that I dont understand you, but I do think that these kind of "rare" Fenders will be sought after in the future..

Did you get a fair price for it?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Ebony on maple is about the coolest thing around.

played a USA jackson the other day, but it was a secondhand one, machinehead never stock new jacksons or the japanese ones.

duncans?

sweet.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

pes_laul Guest

Hey marnold excuse my lack of ignorance (and lack of being born) but back in the 80's when they still made charvels wer they pretty much the same thing as jacksons? Because on my step dad's charvel model 88 it plays exactly like any jackson except on the locking nut it has three big screws instead of allen wrench slots

Post Thanks / Like

Cannot say that I dont understand you, but I do think that these kind of "rare" Fenders will be sought after in the future..
    That certainly is a possibility. My guess is that it wouldn't be that way with that guitar just since it is so non-Fendery.

Did you get a fair price for it?
    Relatively. I had looked into selling it when I was hot for that white Jackson RR3 (I'm thankful I waited). Given the prices on evilBay/Craigslist that I saw, people were lucky to get $225 for them. I probably could have gotten a bit more than I got but then I'd have to deal with the headaches of eBay, shipping, hoping the buyer isn't a jerk, etc. If I consider myself having bought the DK2M at its original going price, I got a screaming deal for my guitars. When you consider the sale price, it was just OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    Hey marnold excuse my lack of ignorance (and lack of being born) but back in the 80's when they still made charvels wer they pretty much the same thing as jacksons? Because on my step dad's charvel model 88 it plays exactly like any jackson except on the locking nut it has three big screws instead of allen wrench slots
    Yeah, in the mid to late 80s Jackson and Charvel were owned by the same people. The Charvels were all (IIRC) Japanese imports. They shared pickups, electronics, headstock shape, etc., with Jackson. I don't remember when Jackson was bought out by Fender. Since that time, Jackson has remained Jackson and Fender has started producing Charvels that are more like the original San Dimas Charvels that Wayne Charvel himself made in the 70s. I've heard that they are very nice guitars.

For more info on Jackson/Charvel, check out the J/C Forums.

My first electric that I bought about 10-12 years ago was a Charvel Model 7. It was a Telecaster-style with a maple fretboard and reverse-swept pointy headstock. It had been cruelly abused. I was going to refinish and rewire it but someone on the J/C Forums made me an offer I couldn't refuse for it so I sold it and got my Floyd.

Post Thanks / Like

hey Marnold, this is a bit off topic, but how is that AD30VT? ive seen a couple go real cheap on classified ad sites. the VT30 is like £160 and ive seen AD30VTs go for like sub-£100.

ive heard the AD series had some dodgy things going on with them, was i misled?
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    hey Marnold, this is a bit off topic, but how is that AD30VT? ive seen a couple go real cheap on classified ad sites. the VT30 is like £160 and ive seen AD30VTs go for like sub-£100.

ive heard the AD series had some dodgy things going on with them, was i misled?
    That is off topic. Better to start another thread. There are tons of ADxxVT related threads on here.

Post Thanks / Like

lol k, im gonna search, Shiner told me to stop making threads...sorta

pes_laul Guest

So is the tremolo your standard Floyd or is like a speedloader or a differnet model?

Post Thanks / Like

So is the tremolo your standard Floyd or is like a speedloader or a differnet model?
    It's a licensed Floyd, so it's more like a standard Floyd than anything else. The only difference in design is that the screws to hold the strings in place are on the top instead of the back on the bridge. That's what makes it "LP" aka Low-Profile. If you've worked with a Floyd before, you could figure this one out in about two seconds.

It's about the only part of this guitar that seems lower-quality (relative to a real Floyd). I would be concerned about it if I didn't know that an OFR or a Gotoh Floyd are drop-in replacements.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a sweet ride Marnold,I like the maple neck and the pup choice.I'm gunna have to try one.Very coolSumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Great review, Matt, and congrats again on the new guitar! It looks great.

As an aside, I was going to sell my Floyd after I got my Carvin but decided to keep it to use for alternate tunings. I had it on Craigslist for a week and there was a lot of interest for basically what we paid for it new!
    -Steve

Guitars: Carvin BoltPlus-T, Floyd Rose DST-3, Xaviere XV870, Fender Acoustic
    Amp: Vox AD50VT 212, V-Amp 2
    Pedals/Effects: Wasabi Overdrive, HellBabe Wah, Digitech Hot Head, Danelectro Fab Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scgmhawk
    Great review, Matt, and congrats again on the new guitar! It looks great.
    Thanks. I was able to get my hands on a tremolo arm yesterday and put it through some abuse. I didn't check with my tuner, but the guitar stayed in tune with itself. Usually if something is set up wrong, one dive bomb will tell you in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by scgmhawk
    As an aside, I was going to sell my Floyd after I got my Carvin but decided to keep it to use for alternate tunings. I had it on Craigslist for a week and there was a lot of interest for basically what we paid for it new!
    Everything's been really slow up here--bad time to try to sell guitars. Plus the population is relatively sparse up here so that limits the number of potential buyers.

Post Thanks / Like

I just found this handy site for the various trems that come on Jackson/Charvel guitars. Here's the section on the JT580LP, including pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast