Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Ibanez Edge Tremolo: 'Knife Edges'?

Thread: Ibanez Edge Tremolo: 'Knife Edges'?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ibanez Edge Tremolo: 'Knife Edges'?

what is a knife edge? i hear the biggest killer of edge III tremolos is the failing of the knife edges, but i cant find any information to tell me what a knife edge actually is. help?

IJ.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

They sit against the trem posts, and the entire trem pivots on them. The trem is generally built around them, so if they fail, the whole trem is gone.
    Guitars: Squier Strat, Squier Telecaster, Warmoth Telecaster.

FX: MI Audio Blues Pro, Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Signature Wah, Sovtek Big Muff, Danelectro Fabtone Flanger.

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Post Thanks / Like

so these parts? (circled in red)

Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    so these parts? (circled in red)
    Yep. It's the C-shaped part of the bridge that contacts the posts. Generally speaking licensed Floyd Roses aren't made with the same quality of metal that the OFRs, Schallers, and Gotohs are. Eventually the knife edge will no longer be sharp and the trem won't stay in tune. This is only an issue if you keep the bridge floating. If it's blocked, the size of the block and the pressure of the springs will return it to the right position regardless (almost) of the sharpness of the knife edges.

I was a little concerned about that with the JT580LP on my DK2M but since I know that any of the above trems are a drop-in replacement, I'm not worried about it. If I do manage to mess up the knife edges, I'll just slap in one of those and be happy. The quality of construction and the metal is clearly not the same as my Ping-made Speedloader on my old Floyd Rose. Conversely, it seems to stay in tune every bit as well right now.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn