Thread: Reverb Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Question Reverb Pedals

I've been contemplating adding a reverb pedal to my arsenal, mostly to enhance the already killer tone of my newly re-vamped Valve Jr. I'd initially considered the Electro Harmonix Holy Grail pedal ($99 USD), but read several reviews on Harmony Central that this pedal was extremely noisy. Since I just spent $75 bones to eliminate the amp's ambient noise & grounding-issues, I do not want to employ a pedal that puts me back at square one again. On the other hand, a lot of folks really think this pedal sounds really good. Who am I to believe?

Another pedal I've thought about getting is the DigiTech Digiverb ($99 USD) pedal. This pedal has (7) different reverb models, to include: spring, room, hall, echo, and from what I've heard, an excellent plate reverb model. I already own (2) DigiTech pedals (Bad Monkey / Tone Driver), and both are solid, well-built, great-sounding units. This pedal has (4) more settings than the Holy Grail, and apparently is a lot quieter.

The Line 6 Verbzilla also caught my attention, mainly because I'm frequently at the L6 site downloading tones for my PODxt. However, at $149 bones, I thought the pickin's were a just little steep for a pedal I'd probably be using with only one amp (not to mention the fact that its priced higher than what the Junior retails for!!*sheesh*)

Just wondering what everyone else has used / is using, and if anyone had other recommendations regarding other makes / brands pedals. As I've already said, this pedal will probably only be used with my Valve Jr., so I most likely won't be in the market for some fancy, one-off boutique number. Besides, boutique just ain't my style.
    Last edited by Nelskie; August 15th, 2006 at 04:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Why dont you install a accutronix reverb tank in the Jr? Would be very classy
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

That's actually a really good idea, SS. The smaller Music Man model (9" L - 3 spring) would probably work, too. Then it would be just to install it / wire it in - which is something I'd probably have someone else do. At $24 + shipping, it's a pretty cost-effective option, too.

For the Fretters who are curious about Accutronics reverb tanks for their own amp(s), you can check them out at Mojo Musical Supply:

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/cgi...Tanks/tf=brand

And here is the link to the Accutronics home page:

http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/

I think for the sake of simplicity, as well as the benefit of having additional reverb tones (vs. spring only), I'd probably look towards getting a pedal. Thanks for the idea, tho'!

Post Thanks / Like

How about the Marshall reflector reverb? Also there is a Boss reverb but I don't know if its any good.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Cranium. I wasn't even aware that Marshall had effects pedals. Now I am. Here's the link to the pedal at the Marshall site, in case anyone's interested:

http://www.marshallamps.com/product....oductCode=RF-1

The other thing I lilked about this site was the quality / dynamics of the clips, as well as the technique of the player demonstrating the various settings. Stuff like this goes a long way in selling products. DigiTech is big on this with their pedals, too. The Reflector looks like it will definitely be in the running, as it has not one, but (2) nice spring settings. Yummy!

BTW - if you do get to the Marshall site, be sure to check out the 40th Anniversary Edition of the JTM 45 / 100 Ltd. Edition head / cab set-up. I nearly wet myself when I saw it. Damn, that is one fine amp!

Post Thanks / Like

Nelskie, There are a lot of good sounding reverb pedals available today but I think that you would be more satisfied with the valve jr if you did the accutronix thing. Pure mechanical goodness
    Nothing like a real spring reverb, and it would look & sound fantastic (and would be placed after the power amp).
    Last edited by SuperSwede; August 16th, 2006 at 03:50 AM.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

And to think I'd done made up my mind to get a pedal. You drive a hard bargain there, Swede. Yes, that lil' ol sprang thang may have an allure all its own. And I'd be jiggered if I didn't think it'd be a gas to have one all built-in and what-not. Like a sweet '34 coupe all chopped and channeled - she'd turn a few heads - - and then some. And it'd be old school fer' sure - the most intoxicating of medicines.

I may have to ponder this for a spell.

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe.. I´m always glad to be of service

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if your stuck on a pedal but like a tank... Danelectro Spring King Spring Reverb... umm but your back to $149.00 again...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...erb?sku=151904

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I liked the kick pad feature!

Post Thanks / Like

Well . . . after a little careful contemplation, I've decided to go ahead and order the Marshall Reflector pedal. Believe me, this wasn't an easy choice, esp. considering all of the available options. The Accutronics reverb tank Swede had mentioned, while an attractive and cost-effective choice, would limit use to only one amp, as well as only one type of sound (spring). Even though spring is my reverb of choice, I thought it might be interesting to have some other choices available, too - like hall, room, plate, and reverse (this last one is quite cool). Anyways - maybe I'll do the reverb tank when I get my Valve Jr. head this coming fall.

The reverb pedal seems to be kind of a dark horse when it comes to pedal effects - as in not many players use them. I would anticipate that some of it has to do with most of today's amps having built-in reverb. However, on that point, many of the reverbs on the newer amps I've played sound like crap, which may be a good reason to employ a pedal reverb effect.

I'll post some comments after I have a chance to run The Reflector through its paces on my Valve Jr. & Classic 30.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with the Reflector! Its going to be a good sounding rig indeed

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with your choice! Please post some clips of the pedal's effect once you get it! I've got the DigiTech Digiverb which I picked up used for $49 and it is one SICK pedal! I love the "Church" and "Reverse" settings... very unique! I use the "Spring" setting for gigs though.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with the Marshall verb pedal. I'll be curious on how it sounds. A guy here at work just got one, but doesn't like it. I personally love the Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail verb pedal. Sounds great with my rig.

-Peace
    -Nate
    Main Rig - Reverend Wolfman > Korg Pitchblack tuner >Vox Clyde Wah > MXR HW Script Phase 90 > MXR 108 Fuzz > Diaz Texas Ranger > Nova Drive > VL Analog Chorus > ModTone Analog Delay > Vox Night Train > 60's Vox 2x12 (Scumback M75 and Hellatone 30)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    Another pedal I've thought about getting is the DigiTech Digiverb ($99 USD) pedal. This pedal has (7) different reverb models, to include: spring, room, hall, echo, and from what I've heard, an excellent plate reverb model. This pedal has (4) more settings than the Holy Grail, and apparently is a lot quieter.
    I have been using the DigiVerb for a bit.. Very quiet pedal and to my untrained ears the plate is very good as is the spring... but the one I keep going back to is the Church setting #4... wow..it sounds so full and sustains forever when you want it to.... The Gated and Reverse I need to figure out what to do with those.. and the Room and Hall is nothing special nor nothing bad.. but Church.. wooosh.. looks like I am building a DOD/Digitech pedal board... just need to get the Digidelay pedal now.. and then and then..

looking forward to the review on the Marshall verb...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Behringer DR100 reverb stompbox pedal. I got it because it was ridiculously inexpensive. It works but it isn't what I would call a upper end quality pedal.
    • the level is hard to get to a spot that it sounds blended with the guitar signal (going into the front end of an amph). It's either lots of reverb or more than lots of reverb. Nothing subtle about it.
    • the red led is so bright that you can't see the face of the pedal when it is on
    • it is very picky about it's power supply. Don't even think about running it with anything but a good Boss or similar 250ma or higher output adapter.
    It works and gets the job done and it is priced low. I haven't tried it into the effects loop on an amph yet so maybe that is where it will shine.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.