Thread: Blues to Current rock

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blues to Current rock

Hello,
    I am rooted in blues quite a bit because I like it and most of the music I play on the guitar was influenced by it. I am at a place where I am not tired of blues I am looking for something different. I am around young people some, either my kids or those at church or other functions and if I am to play with or to younger people I cannot play licks that fit the modern rock style of music. I would like to be able to jam with them at least a little and not sound out of the 60's/70's. Do you have any suggestion on a few basic licks that would be cool for an old dude to play? Maybe some utubes of young groups that I could snatch some licks from? Basic stuff, something to take me in another direction for a while to have fun with?
    One of the reasons I am asking is that our church music leader has asked me to do a solo on a more rockier tune in a couple weeks. I tried to do a few things with it and it just don't sound worth a darn. Blues bends and double stops and what not just don't fit. I am not that great to start with but I can do this if I can get a direction.

This is the song they want me to do a solo to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUTfizQdWvU
    The first problem is that the song is capoed in A flat and we are doing it in C. I have tried to capo or transpose it but cannot so that is the first challenge but I need some direction to go on a lead. I am thinking some ringing single note single string slides up the neck might work to start out with but after that I am lost. Nothing wild, something simple but cool.
    I don't know maybe I am way off base even thinking of doing something like this, it might be better to just let it go.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

M

Post Thanks / Like

Check out http://www.fretplay.com/tabs/s/starf...lory-crd.shtml The chords are here and to my untrained ears sound like a good starting point.

BTW, Great song!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BH I will check it out!

M29