Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
1973-1974 Strat

Thread: 1973-1974 Strat

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1973-1974 Strat

Some of you might remember me asking about a neck pickup for a 71 Strat. Well I checked my serial number and it's actually a 1973-1974. I've owned it from day one but forgot when I bought it. Get this I can still remember it was $299 plus tax. I just saw one on ebay going for $4000.00. It's worth 4 million to me because of the amount of time it took me to save delivering newspapers. Thanks to my son, here's some pics.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSC01601.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSC01600.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSC01599.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSC01598.jpg

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Strat. So what is that pick-up in the neck position?

$299!!!!!

Not only is that a lot of newspapers to deliver, that was a lot of money back then. It's pretty cool when someone posts a guitar that was bought that long ago and they still have it. Much better than the "I regret selling it" thread.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very cool! : :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you've modded it a bit with the humbucker in the neck and replaced tuners. How does it play and sound?

I have a 1975 Stratocaster that I bought back then from a guy after he's only had it for 3 weeks. He got convinced by friends that he should buy a guitar and learn, but realized he wasn't going to stick with it after 3 weeks. He did paint the pickguard sparkle orange in the meantime. After I bought it I tried to restore the pickguard but couldn't do it, so it has had a replacement pickguard since then. Actually this is the second replacement that I've put on mine, everything else on the guitar is original. Mine is a non-trem model. I played mine at practice this last weekend and it sounded quite good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aeolian
    Looks like you've modded it a bit with the humbucker in the neck and replaced tuners. How does it play and sound?

I have a 1975 Stratocaster that I bought back then from a guy after he's only had it for 3 weeks. He got convinced by friends that he should buy a guitar and learn, but realized he wasn't going to stick with it after 3 weeks. He did paint the pickguard sparkle orange in the meantime. After I bought it I tried to restore the pickguard but couldn't do it, so it has had a replacement pickguard since then. Actually this is the second replacement that I've put on mine, everything else on the guitar is original. Mine is a non-trem model. I played mine at practice this last weekend and it sounded quite good.

At the time I did it, Schaller was the best tuners. The neck pickup is a Fender humbucker done in either 1975 or 1976. I've got alot of crap for doing this to the guitar back then but I never thought 30 plus years later I'd still have it. I've seen bridge pickups changed but never the neck like I did. The grain on the neck is the best I've ever seen, even with the high priced customer shop guitars. The sound it really fat with the humbucker and I never changed the 3 position switch although people said I should. Glad you like the pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet strats guys!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tiremanws
    At the time I did it, Schaller was the best tuners. The neck pickup is a Fender humbucker done in either 1975 or 1976. I've got alot of crap for doing this to the guitar back then but I never thought 30 plus years later I'd still have it. I've seen bridge pickups changed but never the neck like I did. The grain on the neck is the best I've ever seen, even with the high priced customer shop guitars. The sound it really fat with the humbucker and I never changed the 3 position switch although people said I should. Glad you like the pics.
    I've always wondered why more people didn't put neckbuckers in Strats. They do it on Teles all the time. Those old "Wide-Range" HB's are a pretty penny now all by themselves. Iirc they were invented by Seth Lover, but don't quote me on that. Supposedly the current HB's in the reissue Teles that those came in sound nothing like the originals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    I've always wondered why more people didn't put neckbuckers in Strats. They do it on Teles all the time. Those old "Wide-Range" HB's are a pretty penny now all by themselves. Iirc they were invented by Seth Lover, but don't quote me on that. Supposedly the current HB's in the reissue Teles that those came in sound nothing like the originals.
    They sound nothing like the originals because nobody makes the cunife magnets used in them anymore. And yes, Brian they were designed by Seth Lover. Original WRs are really expensive.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I like what I see cool axes!