Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Blues DeVille volume

Thread: Blues DeVille volume

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blues DeVille volume

I recently acquired a Fender Blues DeVille Reissue. Like it, but it's too loud. Anyone have advice for toning it down? Can't play it above 2 or so. Thinking of an attenuator, but wondering if different tubes might calm it down.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Or you could drive south (go around the lake) and drop it off at my house.

I wish I had some real advice for you, but that's all I can come up with. I would have said an attenuator also, but I didn't realize tubes would make that big of a difference.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

You could probably swap a couple of the 12AX7 preamp tubes for 12AT7's (I don't know the Blues Deville preamp tube layout, offhand) and reduce the volume some, but your best bet is probably a good attenuator. Maybe one of these:

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/masslite.htm
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

you could keep it at a lower level and drive it with an OCD, Tubescreamer or like, but your best is definately a power or volume attenuator.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the amp! Whats the wattage on those babies?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

60 watts =]

and theyre about £700-800 new, nice amps.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, 60 watts, but it's the loudest 60 I've ever heard. So loud, you can't get the clean channel, which is by far the best, up high enough to clip. Sounds great through pedalboard and fantastic with my Vox Tonelab in front, clean channel. But an attenuator would allow me to run it hotter, so I'll probably look into that.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott
    So loud, you can't get the clean channel, which is by far the best, up high enough to clip.
    Typical of the higher wattage Fender tube amps, from all I've read. Rumor has it that, while the 135W version of the Twin Reverb made from '77 - '82 theoretically could be pushed hard enough to clip, it would cause the universe to collapse inward on itself, creating a single, massive black hole. But a really rockin' black hole! : : They don't call it the "King of Clean" for nothin'!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Vood...

Post Thanks / Like

at last, an amp I can use for outdoor gigs in a category 3.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Typical of the higher wattage Fender tube amps, from all I've read. Rumor has it that, while the 135W version of the Twin Reverb made from '77 - '82 theoretically could be pushed hard enough to clip, it would cause the universe to collapse inward on itself, creating a single, massive black hole. But a really rockin' black hole! : : They don't call it the "King of Clean" for nothin'!

I had a old silverface twin reverb that was pretty loud... dont recall exactly the wattage but it was a 74/75 model..

In fact it was so loud that I still can hear it in my ears when I go to bed, and I sold it over 10 years ago A real classic Silverear Twin Tinnitus Reverb.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

The volume pots on the Blues Devilles and Hot Rod Series are linear taper (I think)....regardless of what type they are, the volume pots on those amps JUMP in volume from 0-4 and after 4 as you turn it up, the volume increases at a lesser rate.

Alot of people replace the volume pots with one that is more even but then you are voiding your warranty. Those are loud amps. Even the 40 watt Blues Deluxe will rattle your windows.

Your options are an attenuator, or lower gain tubes as mentioned before. Just by me adding a 12dw7 in v2 of my Delta Blues, that made it less loud.

Also, you may want to look at THD yellow jackets. I used those years ago when I had my Hot Rod Deville. They lower the volume some, but it's still going to be loud.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    Alot of people replace the volume pots with one that is more even but then you are voiding your warranty. Those are loud amps. Even the 40 watt Blues Deluxe will rattle your windows.
    +1

I was interested in this amph for a longtime. Mod no 1 would be the change of the volume pot, a lot of people also buy an external volume pot and put it in the FX loop, if I remember correctly. It's a great amp, and the mods are absolutely worth doing them.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

You could install a post-phase inverter, pre-power tube master volume for next to nothing. Check out how I approached it on my 18W schematic for the "Blues Bandit" on my Flickr page...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/10000602@N04/
    Last edited by lowatter; August 8th, 2009 at 06:22 AM. Reason: type-o

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know what to tell you on Deville other than invest in a power attenuator.

If anyone is looking at the Deluxe amps, there are instructions on how to convert them to use JJ 6v6 tubes. I helped a friend do this mod and it made a huge difference! The OD came to life and the amp had a sparkle that wasn't there before.

If anyone is tempted to get either a Hot Rod Deluxe or Blues Deluxe I highly recommend looking into this mod. It drops the power output from around 40 Watts down to around 22 Watts. It makes for a nice club amp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Ted Nugent's best sound came from cranked to the max Twins. Insane. He can't do that anymore.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Somebody's gonna have to build a powerful amp by the name "The Black Hole" or something. Or "Black Hole Generator".
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to have a BDV (2x12"), played it on gigs for several years.
    It indeed is a very very loud amp. Also very prone to changing its sound if pressed against the wall as I recall - just had to be placed at least 4 feet off the back wall or the sound just died. Because it was of course open-back too, it was a big problem on small stages and coupled with its loudness I often basically flooded the entire bar or whatever with my guitar wailing, also behind the stage etc. and thus it was the last open-back amp I ever bought for live use.

Anyway; what I did to keep it crunchy even at lower vols is I 1.) put in a beefier 12ax7S on the input stage 2.) turn down the treble and bass some and upped mids 3.) used an EMG PSA-1 onboard guitar preamp on my LP to give it a VERY strong signal (it can give 20db of boost). I only used the clean channel, and it was always on the verge of breakup.

I also had the neck PU on the paul wired as two single-coils, and when I used those, it was quite clean, but switching to bridge it already had a hefty drive especially if played harder. I used 11 to 52 strings. Then I had a tubescreamer to really send it off for more gain.

I just posted this somewhere...I think this song really well shows off how the Deville sounded with an LP (all guitars except leads; those are HotRodDeVille):

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~juho/bm/BM...la_se_mies.MP3
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.