Thread: Let's Hear It Once More For GAS!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let's Hear It Once More For GAS!

Yeah, the GAS bug hit again! Joining my growing stable of bass guitars is a Peavey Foundation 4-string Bass, crafted in USA, circa mid-1990s. It features an Alder body in "Arrest Me Red," Peavey's Bi-Laminated Eastern Maple neck (Maple board), and a pair of Super Ferrite single coil pickups. It has a 1.5" topnut width with a nut made from Graphlon. The neck reminds me of some Ibanez necks, and it is quite fast.

The previous owner performed major dental surgery on the bass, so it is now "toofless." This is my second bass sans frets, and I'm really getting to like them. I was worried about versatility, but the slab board bass seems to do everything it fretted bretheren do with fairly equal aplomb. This is my first maple board bass. It sounds somewhat brighter than its Rosewood board stand mates. I think it will make a real good funk machine.

I will probably end up swapping out the bridge and tuners on this one. As a change of pace (from Quan bridges that is), I'd like to try Schaller's Roller Bridge. For tuners, I'll probably end up with either Schaller or Gotoh with a Hipshot Bass Extender Key so I can drop tune "E".

Anyway, I'm looking forward to much fun with this new bass. The next GAS attack needs to come in an amp direction!
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! Sounds like a fun dental patient you received.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's in pretty good shape seeing that it is over ten years old and Peavey's aren't usually treated like heirlooms (except for my Reactor of course). The face is in real nice shape, while the back has some very minor scratches. There is a little chipping by the jack input on the body's edge, not unexpected on a working guitar. The neck has a real nice satin-y finish, and the person I got it from did a damned good job of filling in the fret slots.

Like a Fender Jazz, it has two volumes and one shared tone control. I'm not getting a lot of variance out of the tone control at present and believe that it may be a bad pot. It is a little scratchy as well, so a replacement is in its future.

I just dug out a Peavey padded bass strap with red flames on it that looks prefect with this rig. Yep, fun it's going to be!
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Rob, you will slowly transform into a groovy Bootsy Collins look-a-like

Peace!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

My "Arrest Me Red" toofless Peavey Foundation...
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r_a_smith3530
    Funkalicious!

Sooo, how hard is it to play toofless & why are there not many toofless guitars?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by r_a_smith3530

Congrats Rob! Looks really fun. I dont' know anything about basses, but I have come to really like guitars with a nice maple neck.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; November 4th, 2006 at 08:32 AM. Reason: add comment
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Funkalicious!

Sooo, how hard is it to play toofless & why are there not many toofless guitars?

Yea? How do you play a bass that had tooths but now has no tooths?
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Yea? How do you play a bass that had tooths but now has no tooths?
    Same as you'd play a bass that never had no toofs to begin wiff!

Wiff yo finners, of course!!!

Actually, going to fretless was nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be. That said, remember that both of my fretless basses have fret lines which make it easier. Lately though, I have taken to practicing at times in the dark, which makes me rely upon my ear, and not my eye, for correct intonation of my notes.

Fretless sounds much more akin to a stand-up bass

Rob
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Funkalicious!

Check out this guy's site. He plays a Strat that he had de-toofed. Sound clips are also available, natch.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn