Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
What could be wrong with this AD30VT?

Thread: What could be wrong with this AD30VT?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What could be wrong with this AD30VT?

On ebay ending today....I am not bidding because the description scares me.

Condition: (AS IS) This Vox guitar amplifier turns on and shows wear from previous use and travel over the years. There are several nicks, rips, scratches and wear marks throughout the exterior of the unit. The amp turns on and all of the functions work fine, the signal comes through but has low output. This amp does not get that loud even when everything is cranked to the max. This Vox AD30VT will be sold AS IS and is ready to go! Does not include a power cord.

Could this be the output transformer...or merely just the power tube?

item# 320394739425
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

I own an AD30VT. This is a hybrid, no power tubes. One 12AX7 for the preamp, and the power stage is all solid state.

Might be something as simple as replacing the tube, but then again...

Post Thanks / Like

is the attenuator on the back of the amp all the way up?
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

Could be anything, give it a pass. Those amps are complicated and expensive to service.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Could be anything, give it a pass. Those amps are complicated and expensive to service.
    +1. Tung's comments are right on the money. I wouldn't touch it....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the back of it, the attenuator is set at 10:00. If they're really that dumb, that might be the problem. Nevertheless, I don't think I'd touch it with a 10ft pole.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

1. the tube

2. the attenuator on the back

3. a capacitor

4. a resistor

5. damaged PCB track

6. maybe marnold hit it with his 10ft pole

all these could be wrong, i would leave it.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly what I wanted to hear guys...thanks
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't steer you wrong, mi amigo. :

tung

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    Exactly what I wanted to hear guys...thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vox

I'm a big Vox fan but the chromies, except for the DA-5, keep me at bay.

My research has indicated that they are heavily computerized and super complicated in order to provide all of that modelling versitility. With all of this complicated circuitry going on they are prone to lots of different possible failures, failures that can be hard to diagonose, if even possible to diagnose, and expensive to fix. Very time consuming repair projects.

That's why I'm moving toward amps that can be fixed for years to come; such as my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Crate V32 Palamino, JSX Mini Colosal, etc. These should be able to be fixed indefinitely. My next amp will be even more future fixable, like a Fender model with a simple circuit and boards that will be available for year to come. Even the Fender SCXD is subject to possibly obsolete Chinese circuit boards that might not be available and could be hard to build, nonetheless the SCXD is a well respected amp and highly regarded. I just wonder what will happen when repair time comes.

I wouldn't consider a chromie vox unless I got it for a steal, then it would be a fun amp to mess around with, no doubt.

Duffy
    Winfield, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

The one I ended up buying only cost me $150 shipped. Throw in TjCurtain's foot pedal he offered up here on the fret and I am pretty happy at least for the time being. I am sure somewhere down the road I will get the GAS itch again for a tube amp....and then I will probably be kicking myself for getting rid of the Classic 30.....but when you love that Marshall sound so much.....in the end it is all that will really solve that problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chromie

Kazz,

So you didn't get the one with the known volume problem?

That would be a good move, these amps have a tendency to be problematic but they are awesome amps. I'd like to get one myself.

Did you get an AD30VT or the bigger one?

I'm sure you will be happy if it works great. Do you have it already?

My DA-5 chromie vox is one incredible little five watt amp. Battery or wall current powered. Great for camping trips, road trips, etc. Never a problem yet except I had to very diligently solder the input jack back onto the pcb board and the jack assembly was plastic and I had to be careful not to let the solder flow into a close trace. Works great now.

I'm sure yours is a lot like my DA-5; you can tweak the effects big time by pressing the tap button and turning the adjustment control. I can get some really tweaked effects with mine. I'm sure yours had the same technology. I really like the auto wah as well and all the amp modelling. Mine has only a five and a half inch speaker but sounds good. Does yours have the eight or ten inch speaker?

Do you have it yet to mess around with and if so how do you like it?

Duffy
    Winfield, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duff49
    Kazz,

So you didn't get the one with the known volume problem?

That would be a good move, these amps have a tendency to be problematic but they are awesome amps.
    They are fun amps, but I had to send my first one back with a bad input jack. Never had a problem with the second one (AD50VT 112).