Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just wondering, what type of music is your main thing?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with tung because there are gems of the genres. I see a talented person(s) who's playing in their chosen field. Really good stuff.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Default Type of music

I enjoy listening to rock most.

As far as playing goes I have been playing blues for many years and really enjoy getting into the blues groove. It gives me a chance to express my personal blues I guess and delve into the intricacies of my personal reality; close my eyes and get deep into the vibes.

I can also play straight out, non introverted blues to great pleasure.

I like to play rock as well but have a natural ability to play blues and I try to nurture my natural tendency. Rock is harder for my to figure out, play. I do like to let loose and rock and roll though with no regard for unexpected mistakes, even though I try to keep them at the minimum but when you rock out you don't think about mistakes you just want to hit it hard.

I am not into progressive rock or overly organized rock. I'm into rock and roll; you know rock and roll with it, a few mistakes are okay and you might never play it the same way twice.

My friends have been in super serious rock bands where everything has to be perfect and I can see where that would be a lot of work and not so much fun.

I'm even developing some of my own country rythyms lately. Nothing main stream, but more like the natural vibe I get from the blues.

Strangely, I don't like to listen to blues as much as I do rock, but I like to play blues more, get into that blues groove and I'm a fairly decent blues drummer as well, drumming being my main and first serious instrument. They are set up in my living room now and I need to practice them but I am always practicing guitar. Just got a Gibson Faded SG brown brand new for 500 out the door with a fairly decent Gibson gig bag and strings. Perfect low action and incredible tone. Great buy at GC in Rockville, Md., I'm from Winfield, Pa.
    I look for deals. That was the fourth of July sale. I make out on a seven hundred dollar guitar for five hundred. I thought I did well and I went in with no expectations. I think it's best that way. The SG plays the blues fairly good too, as well as the LP and the various strats I have.

Duffy
    Winfield, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

I like a wide variety of music. To start with, I'm a huge Beatle fan. But I also love Blues, Jazz, Rock-a-billy, Motown, old-school country, Reggea, classic rock, Fusion Jazz (Pat Metheny, Weather Report), Elton John (especially his early stuff), Seals & Crofts, Steely Dan, the Police, Elvis Costello, Lyle Lovett, BR549, Brian Setzer, ....

I do get bored by listening to the same genre of music too much.
    The main ingredient for me in all the music that I like is that it has to be performed from the heart, with good feeling. I can like just about any style of music so long as it has interesting chords, good playing (played by real humans), etc. I tend to dislike music that is overly predictable, or uninteresting in terms of chord changes or overall playing. (for this reason I'm not a huge fan of Rap/Hiphop but there are exceptions. I also dislike a lot of modern commercial country for the same reason, (too predictable).

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer
    The main ingredient for me in all the music that I like is that it has to be performed from the heart, with good feeling.
    i think you hit the nail right on the head there jim.

when the music comes from an authentic place, it's usually enjoyable whatever style it's in.

:
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    i think you hit the nail right on the head there jim.

when the music comes from an authentic place, it's usually enjoyable whatever style it's in.

:
    Ditto. Well put. :
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

death metal, prog metal, and jazz.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

BLUES BASED INFUSION SWAMP ROCK SOUTHERN PORCH SWING IS MY THANG
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a very interesting thread that has given a chance to look into what each of us grew up from or now perfer to play and listen to. Since I have been attending and playing at FRONT PORCH PICKIN with country and bluegrass being the most played , I still fine myself getting in my truck to drive home listening to Roy Orbinson, Beatles, CCR, Eagles, Mellencamp, or Led Zep.
    The genre we play most seems to be wide open for most and that's a good thing IMO as we have a broad view and that is like getting a PhD in music to me.
    During the past couple of months we have had visiting youth groups brought to The Front Porch Pickin . They have come from all over the mid-west and all the way up to New Jersey. It is amazing to watch and see these kids get their first real experience with the mountain bluegrass, country, gospel of eastern KY. It doesn't take long before they up on the dance floor having a blast and at the end of the show the thank you comments just keep rolling. I have been lucky to get to introduce a few of these youth to our stage that brought their guitars and played for us. I am amazed that you find so many of them playing Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson songs or a classic rock song. It gives hope that our youth of today are still finding out what has built the paths before them and they appreciate music from varied genre in the fast paced life of today.
    Sorry for being so long.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234