Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering, what type of music is your main thing?

Post Thanks / Like

if you think about punk as being bands like the sex pistols, the clash and their like, then youd be right to call them talentless, but they make a good noise none the less.

ever heard the early sid vicious playing? yuck.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    if you think about punk as being bands like the sex pistols, the clash and their like, then youd be right to call them talentless,
    Joe Strummer? Talentless?
    Just 'cause he didn't play like Alexi Laiho doesn't mean he was any less of a musician.
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

i mean, less talented than say...satriani.

and the clash were more talented that the pistols, but their whole image was based on the sort of...punk attitude of sloppyness.

if that makes any sense at all.
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all over the map as well.

I'm inspired by James Taylor, Andy McKee and Queensryche, rocked out of my sox by AC/DC, Slipknot, Bush, Queen and Rush, moved by Anggun, Clapton and John Mayer, soothed by Sarah McLachlan, Enya, BB King and Stevie Wonder, seduced by Heart, Stevie Nicks, Sade and Fergie, wrung out to dry by Bonnie Raitt, Tears for Fears, U2 and Pearl Jam, and above all, moved to play music by Santana, Leadbelly, Jose Feliciano, Los Indios Tabajaras, Bruce Hornsby, Joshua Kaddison to name a few. There is very little I can't listen to but some that I can't listen to for very long.
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    i mean, less talented than say...satriani.

and the clash were more talented that the pistols, but their whole image was based on the sort of...punk attitude of sloppyness.

if that makes any sense at all.
    comparing strummer to satriani is a bit preposterous as strummer was strictly rhythm, and to my ears, quite a fine rhythm guitar player. a more fair comparison would be satriani to mick jones. while jones was clearly not the virtuoso satriani is, i know which one made music that is much more interesting to my ears.

while i have plenty of respect for satriani's technique, he has yet to play a single note in a context that i care about. mick jones, on the other hand, has created a sizable fraction of the music that resonates deeply with me.

i do understand the general point you are trying to make, but i'm not sure the point itself is necessarily valid. the whole "punk is sloppy" thing does not apply across the board to all forms of punk. it was true of many bands in specific scenes, but just like jazz, punk is not a singular entity. the so-called hardcore bands of the 80's (black flag, minor threat, husker du, et al) they could play circles around a lot of other bands in a lot of other styles. gregg ginn ranks extremely high on my all time guitarists list, extremely high.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is funny in a way that R_of_G and I both enjoy music from the punk and jazz areas. I have listened I bit more mainstream I wot, but nonetheless, similar. He and I have discussed before the history of punk, and I have always viewed it as coming from stripped down, garage style, blues oriented rock. R also turned me on to the jazz background in punk as well.

That was one of my points above, that you can trace a lot of the punkish stuff I listened to back to early rock, but I also liked jazz. Blues bridges the gap in my mind. So not so different really. A lot of punk is really compressed, high tempo, garage blues rock. Blues crosses over into jazz. Jazz is experimental. So there are connections in the sense of overlaps in my argument, as opposed to R's tracing from free jazz argument. You just have to listen and hear them.

But from yet another point of view, I am a Libra, so I like my loud aggressive sounds, and I like my more introspective, thoughtful, pretty sounds as well. So I don't always need to hear a connection.

As far as a "who is better" discussion, IJ, that is a different thread really. But I come from the school that for me, the musician/artist that captures my attention, causes an emotion or feeling, expresses something, moves me in some way, is better. I don't care who is better from a technical point of view except in the context of how that person can use that technical skill to express and move me. That of course depends on what i want to hear. Some days, Neil Young playing a loudly distorted one note solo is what I simply need. Some days, Coltrane or Davis or Robben Ford or Bill Frisell is what it takes. I can respect the fast shred guys for their technique, but it is not typically what moves me.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    He and I have discussed before the history of punk, and I have always viewed it as coming from stripped down, garage style, blues oriented rock.
    that's correct steve. a great deal of it traces directly back to the stooges and the mc5 and when you then take another step back from where they drew their influence, you step right into trane and ayler.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

My first love is, of course, Southern Rock. I also love Classic Rock of the 70's and 60's. Over the last couple of years, I've really gotten into Contemporary Christian, such as Casting Crowns (my favorite), Switchfoot, and many others. But, I also listen to many others. I grew up listening to country (Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Conway Twitty), 60's music such as CCR, and many others.

I DON'T like rap and not a real fan of much from the 80's forward. There are a few exceptions, but not many. Call me a dinosaur, but that's the way I am.
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I am focused on blues as far as my lessons and search go.

I sometimes forget about artist that I like until I hear them or someone mentions them.

But I am all over the map. If it makes my foot tap, it's good with me. Forgot about the Chili Peppers until I saw Roberts list and there are so many others. Rickie Lee Jones is one I always liked, Randy Newman, Tom Waits, I like some one hit wonders, music from the 50's and on and on....
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ron, I like me some Switchfoot too. MxPx is another group that rocks.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I like good music. Country doesn't qualify for me as good so that leaves just about everything else.
    You're deluded Spud

Don't worry, there's time before you die to grok good country.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

As you can tell by my screen name I love the blues. One of the first albums I heard that got me on the blues train was "Hooker and Heat." I played the **** out of that album and searched for other blues players like Muddy Waters, BB King, and the rest.

I loved CCR as a young child and also listened to Quicksilver Messenger Service, Uriah Heep, Steppenwolf, Jefferson Airplane (Surrealistic Pillow is still awesome!)

Cookie monster vocal metal turns me off very quickly and I do not consider Rap, Hip Hop music.

Older Country and Americana is very good.

Post Thanks / Like

Crap, I forgot Warren Zevon too.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Of course, Warren is on my list too. Not sure what category he fits in, but he is in the mix for sure.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

You know some people ain't got no soul,yet everything they touch seem to turn to solid gold.They worked us hard all are life and our price was never right.I tell ya I got the BLUES yea I got the BLUES YEA. Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    You're deluded Spud

Don't worry, there's time before you die to grok good country.
    Unfortunately, a lot of what passes for country music is neither.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Unfortunately, a lot of what passes for country music is neither.

tung
    exactly

i think an unfortunate side effect of that is the distaste people develop for all country. there is still great music being made by those who know that country is rooted in the blues, not pop with fake twangy voices and pedal steel leads.

it pains me when people won't listen to great artists like neko case or jolie holland because both of them have very country elements to their music and singing though they are not at all like what most people think of when they think of country. i used to be the same way. i'm glad i opened up to it more because missing out on neko would be a shame.

pes_laul Guest

I like pretty much anything before 2000 (with a few exceptions)

But 90's is my favorite decade with grunge bands and punk and stuff like tool (dont know what genre they fit in)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    exactly

i think an unfortunate side effect of that is the distaste people develop for all country. there is still great music being made by those who know that country is rooted in the blues, not pop with fake twangy voices and pedal steel leads.

it pains me when people won't listen to great artists like neko case or jolie holland because both of them have very country elements to their music and singing though they are not at all like what most people think of when they think of country. i used to be the same way. i'm glad i opened up to it more because missing out on neko would be a shame.

a good example of so called 'country' (phail/fail) is taylor swift.

talk about crap. my god.

when i think of country i think of music rooted down in texas or the southern states.

of sons of maxwell

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast