Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Just wondering, what type of music is your main thing?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just wondering, what type of music is your main thing?

Hybrid View

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just wondering, what type of music is your main thing?

So I know Marnold is a metal man, Spud loves prog rock, and Sunvalley and Krash don't mind punk rock. As for me, I'm into blues/jazz/roots/etc, but what about the rest of you?

Care to share a few words of what type of music is your biggest passion, and perhaps why?

Improvisational music has always been the thing for me. I need that kind of room when I play, or else I will get bored. That's why I love jazz.

But, I also like a variety of music, for example, Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, Joni Mitchell, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Mr. Mister, Steve Vai, early TOTO, Porcupine Tree, Red Hot Chili Peppers, John Hiatt, Queen, Judas Priest, Prince, George Clinton, all the old blues legends, early Rainbow, Train, Chicago, Allan Holdsworth, early Van Halen, early Yngwie, John Scofield, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Bela Fleck, Tom Waits, early Michael Shenker Band, early Scorpions, Uli Jon Roth, Led Zeppelin, Paul Gilbert, Supertramp, John Mayer, Scott Henderson, Brent Mason, Albert Lee, Tom Petty, Ella Fitzgerald, Sting.... and the list goes on and on. Just to mention a few.
    Last edited by Robert; July 13th, 2009 at 09:16 PM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I like progressive rock from the '70's and '80's. Also rock, hard rock, and some pop/rock from that era as well. I listen to very little current music.

I also like some of the New Wave stuff that came out of Britain in the '80's.

Never was into the Hair Bands of the eighties though. Never cared much for that bunch. They were all such gurly men.

Newer rock bands from about 1990 on don't appeal to me as much as the older bands.

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to be all over the map. I like metal, but I like it darker and evil. I like some of the death metal from Scandanavia, such as Opeth and Dark Tranquility. I also like the band Amon Amarth, their Viking metal schtick kind of amuses me. Black Sabbath is another metal favorite.

I didn't like hair metal when it was popular in the 80s, but I like to listen to it sometimes I get nostalgic for my youth.

I also like Buckethead, who defies classification.

I like some country, including Steve Earle, Dwight Yoakam, Lyle Lovett and Johnny Cash.

The only blues I listen to nowadays is Johnny Winter and/or Muddy Waters.

I like David Lindley as well, who also is very stylistically diverse.

I can't stand to listen to classic rock anymore. It has been so over played, I just got very tired of it.

I'm not much into jazz. It just doesn't sound "right" to me.

tung

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have my punk leanings definitely, that directly descend from my taste for early 60's (I said early not late) Beatles and Stones, which descended from Chuck Berry and the like, etc. When I developed my own taste for music (mid high school when I went hi-fi) and was really into it, that was one of the main veins I tapped from. . The above of course leads into The Clash, early Elvis Costello, the Ramones, etc., along with a bunch of college rock/alternative that may have been played on Seattle, SF or LA stations back in the 80s and 90s. That vein also has its garage band roots (kinks, etc.) and that broadens things again leading to grunge, ska, reggae, etc.

But I also developed at the same time I was into the Beatles/Stones a taste for jazz. Back then it was fusion, now it is more 50s/60s sounding jazz and its derivations. Blues filled the gaps between the two areas, and I particularly like blues with jazz tones and hints in it. Or jazz with blues tone and hints in it. Since I started guitar, I really love that area. I will say that I am not that much into the hard core old stuff though. Also since starting guitar, I "re-discovered" classic and prog rock that I was into before I got into the stuff I mentioned above. I also get burned out on a lot of that though.

So I also am all over the map, and you will find me liking some of about everything with few exceptions. But you will also be able to trace the roots of most of the stuff I regularly listen to back up those trees I just described.

There is a really thorough history of my musical roots (and a bunch of others here) that Jimi75 started sometime back also.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I like good music. Country doesn't qualify for me as good so that leaves just about everything else. Mostly I lean toward Progressive, heavy blues, hard rock and Hanna Montana (just kidding). I enjoy Classical from time to time too along with ambient, Jazz and Raggae. My first choice is Progressive most of the time.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I like good music. Country doesn't qualify for me as good so that leaves just about everything else. Mostly I lean toward Progressive, heavy blues, hard rock and Hanna Montana (just kidding). I enjoy Classical from time to time too along with ambient, Jazz and Raggae. My first choice is Progressive most of the time.
    I'll be the counter point here I'd have to say that Country is my main interest, though this "New Country" (they've started calling it "Fresh Country" now - what the hell???) leaves quite a bit to be desired On the plus side, I've always been drawn to singer/songwriter artists and the craft of lyric and melody and there is a trend in Nashville now to promote artists who write (and/or co-write) their own material. Heck, while nothing close to being a fan, I give Taylor Swift props for writing her own songs (she had a publishing deal at 14!).

I'm really digging the whole "Americana" scene right now, and am a big fan of Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, etc. etc. I love my homegrown Saskatchewan Indie artists, and Canadian classic rockers like Harlequin, April Wine, Prism, Trooper, the Guess Who and of course, RUSH!

Have even been known to listen to jazzy, experimental and prog-rock, but when it comes down to it I like music that engages me on some level, be it a cerebral experience or a beer-swillin' honky-tonkin good time. :
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I like good music. Country doesn't qualify for me as good so that leaves just about everything else.
    You're deluded Spud

Don't worry, there's time before you die to grok good country.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    You're deluded Spud

Unfortunately, a lot of what passes for country music is neither.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan

tung
    exactly

i think an unfortunate side effect of that is the distaste people develop for all country. there is still great music being made by those who know that country is rooted in the blues, not pop with fake twangy voices and pedal steel leads.

it pains me when people won't listen to great artists like neko case or jolie holland because both of them have very country elements to their music and singing though they are not at all like what most people think of when they think of country. i used to be the same way. i'm glad i opened up to it more because missing out on neko would be a shame.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan

tung
    I absolutely agree.

There's a big of a market for country pablum so a lot of bland goo gets made that is caught up in flag-waving and "gee shucks aren't we wonderful people" kitsch. There also seems to be an addiction to over-production in country.

But the raw sound and tropes of the genre are just begging for someone to do them justice.

Just because a style in drowning in crap doesn't mean that as musical vocabulary it is inherently junk.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    You're deluded Spud

Only an alien would recognize that.

I grew up on old country. Played it all my formative years in many honky tonks and while I was happy to be gigging I was unhappy because the music was depressing. I still love some Ray Conniff, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, Jerry Reed etc. But it's never my go to music. It's mainly for sentimental reasons that I tolerate it. However, this weekend I'm pretty sure I'll be having dinner with Willie Nelson before his show. I can tolerate Willie pretty easily.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Slide guitar blues......from Robert Johnson to Bonnie Raitt....if it slides on top of boogie beat or a bump-and-grind vibe, I'm there....no doubt.

Let's see, on top of the above comes the Southern Rock thing along with Texas Blues and all those great guitarists.

Oh, Stephen Stills too. One of the truly underrated guitarists who can play really awesome stuff when he wants too.

Slide guitar of course, can veer off into some country tunes as well and that I like.

Most other stuff holds absolutely no interest to me at all. Just doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Only an alien would recognize that.

I grew up on old country. Played it all my formative years in many honky tonks and while I was happy to be gigging I was unhappy because the music was depressing. I still love some Ray Conniff, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, Jerry Reed etc. But it's never my go to music. It's mainly for sentimental reasons that I tolerate it. However, this weekend I'm pretty sure I'll be having dinner with Willie Nelson before his show. I can tolerate Willie pretty easily.
    Willie has written some beautiful songs. He could always keep the lyrics to the point, and at the same time use some very tasty chord changes within the song structure. "Nightlife" is one of my favorites to this day.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up on old country...I still love some Ray Conniff, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, Jerry Reed etc...However, this weekend I'm pretty sure I'll be having dinner with Willie Nelson before his show. I can tolerate Willie pretty easily.

Yep, that's real country music Spud! I grew up listening to it. Also Ronnie Milsap, Roy Clark, Glen Campbell and, of course, "Willie and Waylon and the boys".

Wow, dinner with Willie. I'm jealous. : BTW, "Blues Eyes Crying in the Rain" is my favorite Willie song. :
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I have my punk leanings definitely, that directly descend from my taste for early 60's (I said early not late) Beatles and Stones, which descended from Chuck Berry and the like, etc. When I developed my own taste for music (mid high school when I went hi-fi) and was really into it, that was one of the main veins I tapped from. . The above of course leads into The Clash, early Elvis Costello, the Ramones, etc., along with a bunch of college rock/alternative that may have been played on Seattle, SF or LA stations back in the 80s and 90s. That vein also has its garage band roots (kinks, etc.) and that broadens things again leading to grunge, ska, reggae, etc.
    All of the above is true of me as well. There used to be a great illustration called the "roots of garage rock" or something like that on Little Steven's Underground Garage, but I can't find it any more, that encapsulated of lot of the rock I like.

My main rule or aesthetic is KISS-- "keep it simple, stupid." I like direct stuff. So it can be garage, or Brit Invasion, or some of the less crazy psychedelic stuff, or ska (especially early ska from the 60's), or indie rock or punk rock, old school country (Hank WIlliams, Patsy Cline, etc.), folk, roots or country-rock, so long as the lyrics don't get too pretentious, the songs don't get too long, and the production values don't squeeze the life out of the performance, I'll probably like it.

I can appreciate some jazz, and blues, but in general I wanna be rocked. I will at times listen to classical (mainly baroque and early classical), and world music, and especially like Celtic (even moreso when rocked up a la Pogues, Flogging Molly, etc.).

Things I generally don't like: "dance" music/disco, most rap, anything with "competition guitaring" especially the instrumental stuff (generally totally uninterested in people like Vai, Satriani, Yngwie, EVH, etc.), most modern metal/hard rock/rap rock, hardcore (especially anything with cookie monster vox), most prog, modern pop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Well...

In short, I could sum I like any music that includes raunchy, rockin' guitars.
    Also in short, I usually strongly dislike anything on mainstream radio.

From the softest end, I like Aimee Mann, Grateful Dead country albums, CCR...

From the biggest bulk I listen to, ACDC, Danko Jones, Iron Maiden, Priest, The Cult, Airbourne, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, The Ramones, Faith No More, Juliette and the Licks...

And from heavier end, Lamb of God, Megadeth, Pantera, Metallica, Motörhead...

Yeah, most anything with rockin' guitars work...many 80's hair bands are also great fun to listen to - party music.

I DON'T stomach much prog rock however, it's often just musical wankery in my book , or blackmetal or other just-growl-vocal stuff...lamb of god/pantera is even too growly for my taste many a day..and also I can't stand 70's style hardrock no more, purple, zeppelin etc...it's so old and gone, played thru a zillion times (I've even sang in a few era bands and boy if I never hear any purple again I'll be happy.)

I'm soon 40 but I never felt like the best music was written years ago. I really really dig whatever new great stuff comes out from bands like Billy Talent, Danko, Foo...well, stuff that is never played on the radio but that still is out there if you know where to look.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Prog rock and metal . Stuff like Queens Reich, Dream Theater Veni Domini,Rush ect. I played that stuff throughout the 80's-mid 90's
    However since 1995 all I have been doing is Worship stuff. We play everything between jump shout Black Gospel to traditional Black Gospel stuff with a choir to rock stuff that borders on Metal to Hymms. Personally I'm really into the modern guys like Rick Pino, Jason Upton, Morning Star,Christ For the Nations ect.
    Here are some live recordings of what I do.
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=4939016
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7128664
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=4453782
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5022591
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=4912436
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5049360
    Last edited by Ascension; July 14th, 2009 at 04:33 AM.
    Guitars
    Washburn's
    Chicago Custom Shop USA's 1995 MG 122,100,102,120, 1994 MG-122, one off 1994 Prototype, 1999 WM-4, 200 3-ST Stealth
    Carvins 1990 Pearl Pink reverse headstock X220C, 1991 Sapphire Blue Flame V220R.
    Accoustics
    LTD 88 Takamine

Amps
    Fender Prosonic combo
    100 watt custom one off Prosonic head
    Fender 2/12 cab
    2 Avatar 2/12 cabs- Blond Oxblood with 75's and Red with Black Vin 30's
    Yamaha 4/12

Post Thanks / Like

shred, 80s, metal, prog metal, satanic metal (slayer), nu metal (slipknot, Korn), Industrial/Tanz Metall (rammstein), rock, old skool punk, blues rock, jazz fusion (Steel Dan), chicago blues, nashville etc.

i play all this stuff...because im a very diverse person. although i cannot stand 'MTV' music as i call it, crap like Paramore () or 'My Chemical romance ()
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Blues, blues-rock, classic rock, some fusion stuff, bits & pieces of other styles as long as the guitar work is tasty. Definitely not into heavier types of metal, thrash, ultra-shreddy stuff. "If it's in drop D, it ain't for me."
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast