Thread: Avatar Cabs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Avatar Cabs

I know some of you have AVATAR CABS...http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

I'm mulling over getting an AVATAR Traditional G112 Cube and was wondering what some of you might recommend for a Celestion Speaker (that's what they use) for somebody who plays mostly blues slide/lap steel with a touch of SRV/Albert Collins/Allman thrown in??

In the unlikely scenario that I go for a 212 cab, what would you recommend for a second speaker? BTW, how does that whole second speaker thing work anyway? The Cliff Notes version for Dummies will suffice. As in, do you get to pick which speaker gives the main sound depending on what you want to do??

Thanks guys and gals.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a speaker expert, but I have Eminence Wizards in my Avatar 2x12 and I think they sound great.

Maybe the Hellatone?

Our Hellatones are also great because the Hellatone 30 is a slightly broken in Celestion G12H30 and the Hellatone 60 is a slightly broken in Celestion Vintage 30.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Robert.

I would also want the speaker to be good at low volumes too, if that helps any.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython
    I'm mulling over getting an AVATAR Traditional G112 Cube and was wondering what some of you might recommend for a Celestion Speaker (that's what they use) for somebody who plays mostly blues slide/lap steel with a touch of SRV/Albert Collins/Allman thrown in??
    For blues, I'd look for a Jensen-style or alnico speaker first. Celestions (at least to my mind) have more of an aggressive rock 'n roll feel.

I'm looking at some of these speakers at the suggestion of Vood:

http://warehousespeakers.com/

In the unlikely scenario that I go for a 212 cab, what would you recommend for a second speaker? BTW, how does that whole second speaker thing work anyway? The Cliff Notes version for Dummies will suffice. As in, do you get to pick which speaker gives the main sound depending on what you want to do??

Thanks guys and gals.
    You might email the guy who runs Warehouse Speakers and ask him what he'd recommend for an avatar cab. On the web site he recommends a pairing of speakers.

I usually like two of the same kind of speaker in a 2x12" cab, but some swear by mismatching two different kinds. The both should be the same impedance (i.e., both 8 ohm) and should have similar SPL levels. If one is more sensitive, it will put out more volume than the lesser speaker and it might overwhelm the sound.

Finally, if you go with the 2X12", I would go for two 16 ohm drivers and wire them in parallel, giving you an 8-ohm load. You could wire two 8-ohm speakers in series to get a 16-ohm load, but that is potentially catastrophic if one of the drivers were to fail. Parallel is a safer option, IMHO.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Tung,
    I mentioned the Celestions because that is the brand speakers that they put in their cabs. I am not handy and have no desire to get a speakerless cab and then try ( ) to do it myself.

I think I'll forget abot the idea of a 2x12 as this would just be for home use. I have no pretensions of being good enough to gig.

Post Thanks / Like

anything with a V30 voicing is good. my G12s are great for rock and metal but dont have that zing for the blues.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Tung,
    I mentioned the Celestions because that is the brand speakers that they put in their cabs. I am not handy and have no desire to get a speakerless cab and then try ( ) to do it myself.

I think I'll forget abot the idea of a 2x12 as this would just be for home use. I have no pretensions of being good enough to gig.
    Swapping speakers isn't that big of a deal. The main things are: 1) not to tighten down the bolt holding the speaker to the baffle too much, you can warp the frame. 2.) attaching the leads to the jack can be tricky if they didn't use solderless connectors. Then you have to solder/desolder the speakers. Other than that, any idiot can do it. I should know, I've done it quite a bit.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

I got my Avatar cab with two G12H30's in them. I really like the sound of these speakers....smooth, nice mids, and not as "spikey" sounding as some other speakers. I find them to be great for blues.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I know some of you have AVATAR CABS...http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Thanks guys and gals.

I have a Celestion Blue in my Avatar Cube and totally dig it. I have a V30 in another cab and they compliment each other really well. Avatar makes good stuff for the money and I found them very helpful to deal with on the phone.
    =-) PJ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for the advice. Yeah, those Celestion Blue Alnico speakers sound pretty sweet. The Alnico Golds are a stronger version of the Blue at 50W.

Post Thanks / Like

Just found this old thread. I'm considering buying a used Avatar G112 Traditional Cube. Anyone here with experience with these? I heard this cab has a lot of bass response - hope it's not too much.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump.

Post Thanks / Like

Uh...no? I don't have any experience with that cab, but I have an Avatar 212 Neo bass cab that I love very much, and the 3-way that I have isn't too shabby either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert I thought you already owned an Avatar cab. I also have the 212 open back with Eminence legends and it is an amazing cab. I guess the Canadian distributor is no longer in business.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I sold my Avatar 212 a long time ago. I found a used G112 on Kijiji but I fear it could be too bassy, since it's a really deep little cab.