Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fretters' opinions on marshall MGs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default fretters' opinions on marshall MGs?

personally i hate them, the cleans lack definition and the overdrive is horrible in my opinion. I was browsing some rigs on a site somwhere and found that the guy from Static X uses MG100HDFX heads.

:

so what are the fretters' opinions on them?
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbor across the street has an MG 100 watt half stack. Mini 4x12 cabinet. I play through it sometimes when we get together for beer drinking and jam sessions and in that context it does a decent enough job. It's pretty loud for being solid state. I won't get crystal clear cleans out of it like I would with say a Roland Jazz Chorus but it's no big deal we're jamming it up. The distortion isn't mind boggling and toney but it's not bad for playing old school AC/DC songs or something like that. In comparison I have a Silver Jubilee Marshall 50 watt at home but that's apples and oranges now. The MGs are fun enough IMO.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

the thing i dont quite understand, is the fact that they are pretty much the bottom of the line practise amp, only good in a bedroom situation, so surely the 30 watt models would be big enough.

read that quote on the marshall site from wylde? soul crushing maybe, definately not bone crushing.
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

My opinion? They suck.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

i could have guessed that robert

MG compared to a JVM? no competition what so ever.

i watched a youtube flick of a man comparing an MG100HDFX and a DSL 100 head.

i remember commenting, you feel the need to compare?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    My opinion? They suck.
    I like it,an honest answer,you hear that Marshall they suck so quit making them and start making the old Silver Jub.Something that sounds good!: Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Marshall are delusional to how crap their new lines are.

the Mode 4 head is as expensive as a DSL 100 around here, nearing up on £800 and all it generally is is a large 4 channel MG.

this always makes me laugh: "Pure Analogue Marshall tone''

considering they feature digital effects, and sound like pure crap, no part of that statement is true.

ever noticed how companies like Blackheart, Laney, Hiwatt, Orange and Vox do 'The Marshall Sound (EL84/34)' so much better than most marshalls do?

the only marshalls id buy would be one of the JVM series, which are all £1000+.

Post Thanks / Like

When dealing with amps like the MG series, I think it's important to keep it in perspective: they are inexpensive, entry-level amps. For someone to expect that they are going to get the same tones from an MG series amp as they would a Silver Jubilee or Plexi is unrealistic.

It's kind of like the Line 6 Spider III's, Fender Frontman amps and a few others. They are good entry level amps that provide decent (but not overwhelming) tones and are often a starting point for alot of guitarists before they move on to something better.

Probably most of us started out with some "sub-par" solid state amp along the way somewhere, and as our playing got better, we got better gear.

I've seen some YouTube clips of guys playing through MG series amps and they made them sound pretty good.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

problem is, most of the videos are secretly utillising an EQ and/or distortion pedal. i played an mg a while back, the drive channel is weak and muddy, and you cant really get much midrange.

the cleans are alright, but yet again they lack definition and mid and low range frequencies.

buy why get an MG when you can get a valve junior, vypyr, cube, peavey nano, H&L edition blue...etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    problem is, most of the videos are secretly utillising an EQ and/or distortion pedal. i played an mg a while back, the drive channel is weak and muddy, and you cant really get much midrange.

the cleans are alright, but yet again they lack definition and mid and low range frequencies.

buy why get an MG when you can get a valve junior, vypyr, cube, peavey nano, H&L edition blue...etc.
    I think the Marshall MG series is marketed for those folks who want a Marshall stack but can't afford the tube versions; much like the Fender Frontman. They are pretty much entry level amps. I owned an MG100 Head and didn't like the tones at all and wound up selling it, but again, I think we have to keep it in perspective that it's an entry level amp and isn't going to sound as good as a "real" marshall (Plexi, JCM 800).

There's obviously a market out there for amps like the MG series, Frontman amps, etc. I remember my first few amps being Fender solid states.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

My $399 Windsor 100 watt tubed halfstack will make those overpriced MGs cry.

_____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

i hope you have better speakers than the stock windsor ones, the stock peavey speakers in the windsor and valvekings suuck.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, they're stock.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

found a way to make your self sound awesome?

are you on a budget? i know how expensive refitting a 4x12 can be

Celestion G12H 35w speakers are about £70 now, and i bought 4 of them.

Post Thanks / Like

They sound pretty good as it is. Sounded good with my Handsome Devil head on it. All British tone.

Then again I'm not a bastard about tones.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

You'll find that there are more than a few people who like the stock Peavey speakers. Whether you'd agree with that is another matter.

Back on topic, I played through an MG when I was first shopping for an electric. Played a Dean fat Strat through it and got some nice cleans that I liked quite a bit. At that time, I didn't try the distortion. Subsequently, I've found that I don't care for it that much. I like the sound of my Vox's UK70s and UK Modern better than that.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

how about this tone/amp-clueless muppet?

pes_laul Guest

Yeah I know my dad's friend's band, their guitar player has a 74 les paul and one of those MG half stacks and what a pile of tonecrap he let's out.

But of course it's a les paul and a marshall so it has to be better than what I got

Post Thanks / Like

I've played on three different MG amphs, and, well, I just didn't like the tones.

I've had much better luck playing through a vypyr, or a vox, than with the Marshall. Then again, they are entry level amphs and have that pretty Marshall script on the front.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast