Thread: Found an Instructor

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Found an Instructor

Well, I ended up trying four different instructors at the shop where I am currently taking free lessons. This past Wednesday I sat with an instructor and told him I wanted to build a foundation. I explained to him that even if it meant something he thinks will bore me, GO FOR IT!!! I told him his goal has to be a foundation and building blocks.

We started by him asking if I can tune a guitar by ear - response was "no" The response today "yes". To some the thought would be - why bother? Well, I wanted to be able to hear the correct sound, not just look at a electric tuner (I still verify my ability with an electric tuner). We then set out to learn the fretboard. I am already able to move around more on the fretboard and tell you what note I am fretting without counting down or up.

Applied a could of licks to known scales and have basically been working on all of the above. Boring? In a way, yes, but it also feels as if I am going forward while I am obviously also going back.

So this is the guy I settled on using when I switch over to paying for the lessons.

http://gitterpicker.com/lessons/dave.asp
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great Strum and seems like he'll be good for you. I checked his bio out. Some times you have to step back to move forward. Keep us posted on your progress. Which git is your "lesson" git?

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython
    Sounds great Strum and seems like he'll be good for you. I checked his bio out. Some times you have to step back to move forward. Keep us posted on your progress. Which git is your "lesson" git?
    Well, I used the Strat first and then the Wildkat. I think I will settle on the Dot as it remains my favorite.

I may be trading the Strat and Wildkat for a Maton - I really am liking those guitars.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great Mark, I need structure myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good, strum. Keep us posted. The answer to the old question: what do I have to do to get better at playing guitar? answer: whatever it takes!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done Strum. Keep us posted.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great Strummy. Looking forward to all the wisdom you're gonna pass on to us.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Dave sounds like a pretty cool guy.

whos hound dog taylor? never heard of him before.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    Dave sounds like a pretty cool guy.

whos hound dog taylor? never heard of him before.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

wow thats sone pretty awesome slide playing there.

another addition to my already large music folder i feel.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?