Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Epiphone Invader/LP Jnr

Thread: Epiphone Invader/LP Jnr

Post Thanks / Like

Default Epiphone Invader/LP Jnr

Recently got hold of an Epiphone Invader very cheap. This is an Indonesian made Lp Jnr with a generic humbucker.

I decided it would be a good guitar to mod a bit, so I changed the ropey tuners for some nice old Fender acoustic ones I had in my parts box.

I the changed the stock pickup for a Kent Armstrong P90 I got also for pretty cheap second hand.

Finally I replaced the nasty plastic nut with a bone one and widened the string spacing.

Now sounds and plays great, and fills that hole in my collection where an LP Jnr style guitar should be.

This guitar + valve Jnr = fun
    Converter and Maker of Solid Bodied Resonator Guitars

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks nice, but I have a question. If you replaced the nut with a wider one, wouldn't that make the E and e too close to the sides of the fretboard edge? I would assume the neck was made to accommodate a smaller nut.

If it works, that is great because I could use a little string space on mine.
    Last edited by just strum; July 18th, 2009 at 08:27 AM.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

sweet.

gotta love chrome P-90s.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, sollo! Very nice, indeed!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Looks nice, but I have a question. If you replaced the nut with a wider one, wouldn't that make the E and e too close to the sides of the fretboard edge? I I would assume the neck was made to accommodate a smaller nut.

If it works, that is great because I could use a little string space on mine.
    It always bugs me that many guitars have a neck width at the nut of 42mm or something, yet the string spacing on some of the mass produced nuts is something like 34mm.

I change the string spacing on most of the guitars that I own, because of this reason. I usually can get 37.5 or 38mm spacing out of most guitars, without the strings getting too close to the neck. I like wider string spacing, and more room to fret chords. I hate feeling cramped on a guitar neck

Just my own personal preference. My acoustic resonator has a string spacing of 42mm on a 46mm wide nut. Lovely and roomy!
    Converter and Maker of Solid Bodied Resonator Guitars

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sollophonic
    It always bugs me that many guitars have a neck width at the nut of 42mm or something, yet the string spacing on some of the mass produced nuts is something like 34mm.

I change the string spacing on most of the guitars that I own, because of this reason. I usually can get 37.5 or 38mm spacing out of most guitars, without the strings getting too close to the neck. I like wider string spacing, and more room to fret chords. I hate feeling cramped on a guitar neck

Just my own personal preference. My acoustic resonator has a string spacing of 42mm on a 46mm wide nut. Lovely and roomy!
    That's just one of the MANY things I LOVE abt my Taylor SolidBody Classic. Approx 1/8" to 3/16" wider at the nut than "standard", making for a very nice, roomy string spacing.

I, too, hate a cramped nut/string spacing (my now-ex Ric 360/12 string had a horribly cramped nut, especially for a 12 string, which is the only thing I HATED abt it. Made playing a job rather than a delight.)

I need to write a glowing review of my new Taylor SolidBody, but, hell, everything I could say abt it is on Taylor's site and MF/HC...we'll see...but definitely : and worth every penny!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sollophonic

I am going to have to look into that. I could use slightly more spacing on my guitars and would welcome an easy fix.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!