Thread: Harmonica

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Harmonica

I never see anyone mention them here at the forum. Does anyone play?

I was looking at a set of harmonica's and was considering picking up a set.

Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Fun topic Strum. I curious to see if we have anyone who plays. I've always wanted to give it a try. When we go to Pearl, the harmonica players wear these belts that have a dozen or so different harmonicas on them.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    Fun topic Strum. I curious to see if we have anyone who plays.
    I know what you mean, I think it's such a big part of American music and the music that came our of England in the 60's (of course, a lot of blues influence).
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple, plus a neck trap, which I like to fool around with, esp. w/ my acoustics. But I certainly wouldn't say I can play a harmonica, more like I dabble w/ them and make noise.......
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Yeep. Dylan style, with a rack. Always the more folky straight harp style. Have never figured out the cross harp thing.

Cross harp means if the tune is in key of C, you'd play a F harmonica.
    Straight harp, both would be in C. Most blues, is played in cross harp.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the OG & 'keel camp. I still have my 'neck rack' and Hohner Marine Bands and Blues Harps that cost about $5 each in my 'Angry Young Man' days playing solo acoustic, doing Dylan and Neil Young stuff, no hands needed on the harp. Only needed C, D, G, A and E harps. I've got a C-chromatic, but you need 2 hands to play those. I'm no harmonica player, but then, no offense, but I wouldn't call either of those guys virtuosi either.

Post Thanks / Like

Strum.......it all depends what you want to do with the harp and what kind of music you want to play. You have the more "folkie" approach of WD, OG and EK----the Dylan, Neil Young, etc crowd.

OR, you can go off on the BLUES approach, where the harp is a intricate rhythm and lead instrument. Some made sounds like you can't even believe. The Old Masters----Sonny Terry, Sonny Boy Willamson II, Little Walter etc.
    The Newer Guys----Kim Wilson of the Fabulous T-Brids, etc

It has been said that one of the things that made SRV such a complete monster player is that he tried to emulate on git-fiddle what the Old Masters did on their Blues Harps.

There are some excellent instructional DVD's out there too. Check homespuntapes.com OR elderly.com

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've practiced a bit, and it's fun. It takes some time to get to know the "fretboard" so to speak... but it's fun to honk off some blues licks on a harp.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I play and have my old go to's.......HOHNER Blues Harp,Golden Melody and a limited edition 2000 model x2:
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

I can play a passable blues harp. My upper register is weaker than it used to be as I don't practice at all any more. After about 10 minutes of play though, I'm sucking wind like a land locked tuna.

I used to be a big fan of the Hohner Special20, but before leaving off from play I switched to Lee Oskar. I don't fool with any of their weird tunings, just the straight diatonic harp.

Tons of fun for sitting in for a couple of songs though.

Post Thanks / Like

i can sort of play, but my uncle and my cousin are harmonica wizards.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Lee Oskar brand is a excellent choice IMO.

I have occasionally used a harmonica when recording, but I rarely use it because I'm not a good harmonica player.

Here's something I recorded a few years ago where I used the harmonica to give the tune a sense of sadness and crying.

For Someone Gone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 60's guy
    Lee Oskar brand is a excellent choice IMO.

I have occasionally used a harmonica when recording, but I rarely use it because I'm not a good harmonica player.

Here's something I recorded a few years ago where I used the harmonica to give the tune a sense of sadness and crying.

For Someone Gone
    Now what guy that uses the name "60's guy" wouldn't play harmonica on occasion.

Nice clip, now if you will excuse me
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I love to listen to a good harmonica player and to the blues they are great. I wish I could learn to play them too.

pes_laul Guest

I can play though I'm not great or anything but I know how to bend and all that kind of stuff. though I don't really have many harmonicas anymore and I can only play in the key of C :

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the Lee Oskar harps,IMO their one of the best.Get a green Bullet and a small tube amph and your set.I am pretty sure that it wasn't too long after Sonny Boy did that song and he really did kill his ole lady and was off to prison to really sing the blues!Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13