Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Best way to record a demo?

Thread: Best way to record a demo?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best way to record a demo?

Ok, I own a BOSS BR-1600 CD as shown:

We're trying to record a demo but don't exactly know what the hell we're doing yet. We've recorded ourselves live as a unit but it came out rough at best. Our thinking thus far has been to to use the live recording as a scratch track so we can play along with it and record our individual parts seperately. Does this seem like the best way to go?

How well do drum mics work vs. using a few scattered about the studio?

Since many of you already have experience in this field, I thought I'd ask the experts!

Take care,
    Trem
    Last edited by tremoloman; August 18th, 2006 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Damn typos!
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Trem , thats a good multi track unit , have not used it but friends have and it does a great job for demo purposes .
    drum mics are a must for a good quality demo ,, shure 57's will work well for most of the kit ,toms, snare and cymbals .. the kick drum needs a specialized mic , check out sennheiser md 421, akg d12e, ev re20 , you may be able to rent these locally ..a good basic method to get it all down is to have the band play the tune , record the band in mono on one track and record the drums on 4 to 8 tracks depending on the size of the kit , next record the bass, the bass player can monitor the ghost track of the band in mono and a mix of the drum tracks while recording his track.. next do the guitars using the same process.. adding vocals last ..pretty basic muli tracking but it works .. that boss unit has 16 digital tracks plus virtual tracks so you should have plenty of room for lots of parts .. mics are the link to the recorder so if you want a good quality recording dont scrimp .. lots of places rent good quality mic kits .. 6S9L
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marty DiBergi: "This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."
    Nigel Tufnel: That's just nitpicking, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

The last demo I recorded (quite a while ago), we went into a studio for the drum tracks. It was a small studio, at $20.00/hr. I think it cost somewhere around $140.00. We mixed the drums down to a master, then recorded over that on a little 6 track recorder. It worked great, for a lot less than finding the specialized mics needed for recording the drums. That, and the cost of the tape were our only major expenses.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

There isn't a studio anywhere in Boston that you can get for only $20 an hour now. We've decided to take 6STRINGS 9LIVES's advice and get a drum mike set. He found a really good one for only $150, so we're gonna chip in and get it if all goes well.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Trem, did you get anything recorded yet? We all want to hear!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.