Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
american voiced marshalls?

Thread: american voiced marshalls?

Post Thanks / Like

Default american voiced marshalls?

i was under the impression there have only ever been two marshall lines to use 6L6s - The Studio 15 and the Haze.

then i was trolling for some information on Plexis and found the JTM-45 head, which apparently uses 5881/6L6 tubes.

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guita...jtm45_amp.html

how many other marshalls are american voiced then?
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

The Studio 15 used 6V6s. I believe the first Marshalls and up to the JTM-45 used 6L6/5881, but those tubes were very expensive compared to the KT66. I wouldn't call the early Marshalls, nor the Haze, nor the Studio 15 "American voiced." Despite the different tubes, all of the aforementioned have a definite Marshall voicing.

Some of the JCM800 Marshalls exported to American in '80s had 6550s instead of EL34s. Reliable EL34 tubes (6CA7) hadn't been made in America for a while. The GE 6550A was in production until 1988. So these were subbed in American Marshalls at the time. The 6550 is in the same family as the 6L6 and 6V6. It is a very robust, sturdy tube but sounds nothing like an EL34. Most rock/hard rock players like the EL34 better in Marshall amps. Metal guys tend to like the 6550 as it has lots of headroom and stays tight even when the amp is cranked up all the way.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    i was under the impression there have only ever been two marshall lines to use 6L6s - The Studio 15 and the Haze.

then i was trolling for some information on Plexis and found the JTM-45 head, which apparently uses 5881/6L6 tubes.

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guita...jtm45_amp.html

how many other marshalls are american voiced then?

Post Thanks / Like

hmm makes sense.

the 6550 is a pretty awesome tube, i believe Zakk Wylde uses them, aswell as slash and Kerry King used them before he moved to KT88s.

so you can use 6L6s and 6V6s within a British voicing?
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Post Thanks / Like

hmm makes sense.

the 6550 is a pretty awesome tube, i believe Zakk Wylde uses them, aswell as slash and Kerry King used them before he moved to KT88s.
    The 6550 is big and clean sounding. With high enough plate voltage you can get 100W out of a pair. The KT88 is the European version, designed to get around the patents on tubes like the 6550.

so you can use 6L6s and 6V6s within a British voicing?
    Sure. Voicing an amp can be accomplished in many different ways. The Studio 15 for example sounds just like a Marshall even though it uses 6V6 tubes. A lot of the sound comes from the power section, although the tubes, output transformer, voltages, and preamp voicing all come into play.

The original JTM45 used the original Tungsol 5881, which sounds more British to me than a regular 6L6. If the JTM45 were to be re-tubed with a set of Sylvania STR-387 tubes, it would probably take on more of an American character. So even different brands and tube types in the same family can sound different.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW My JMP50 came with 6L6s.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

The Marshall 30th anniversary 6100LM has 5881/6L6-tubes

This one has one of the best clean channels I know and ch3 has an american high gain sound which is close to the 90ies high gain amps like a slo.

Post Thanks / Like

The JTM30 used a pair of 6L6s iirc. Sadly the JTM30 and the larger JTM60 are renowned as the most unreliable Marshalls ever.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

the JTM30 and 60 are probably more reliable than MGs, they break down for a reason. MGs have a tendancy to just stop working for no reason at all. Sometimes they just dont turn on and then will never work again, even if you re-fit every component.

TTK on youtube thinks the haze sounds better than the vox nighttrain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmann
    The Marshall 30th anniversary 6100LM has 5881/6L6-tubes

This one has one of the best clean channels I know and ch3 has an american high gain sound which is close to the 90ies high gain amps like a slo.
    I dig the 6100 amps a LOT. One of the best Marshalls.

Always liked the x1974 (Bluesbreaker 18W) and such; EL84's work well for my preference, but 6100's are nice.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

i like my EL84s, and my JJ 12AX7s which are great for higher gain, but i do so love the sound that Marshall JCM 800 2203KK has with its KT88s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    The JTM30 used a pair of 6L6s iirc. Sadly the JTM30 and the larger JTM60 are renowned as the most unreliable Marshalls ever.
    In the US, they had Sovtek 5881 tubes, which sound terrible in guitar amps. One tech I know swears by them and says you have to bias them very hot to get them to sound good. I've experimented with them, and I just don't like them.

Also, some of the stereo tube power amps Marshall made in the '90s came with the dreaded Sovtek 5881 tubes.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

i like my EL84s, and my JJ 12AX7s which are great for higher gain, but i do so love the sound that Marshall JCM 800 2203KK has with its KT88s.
    I was watching a Youtube demo of the Kerry King Marshall, and that amp kills. Awesome metal amp.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

the JTM30 and 60 are probably more reliable than MGs, they break down for a reason.
    They break down for the reason that they're poorly designed and wipe out their own solder joints by overheating. You often see them modded with cooling fans but I'd still pass on those amps.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

They break down for the reason that they're poorly designed and wipe out their own solder joints by overheating. You often see them modded with cooling fans but I'd still pass on those amps.
    Agree.

There is a local guy trying to unload one on Craigslist. It is a 60W head and 4x10" cab. He wants $1,000US. I might give him $200 for the cab, but certainly not much more than that. The really sad thing is that those amps are supposed to sound great. Too bad Marshall didn't engineer them better. :

Edit: speak of the devil:

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/1280380073.html

Listed again yesterday.
    Last edited by tunghaichuan; July 21st, 2009 at 10:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the later JCM 900's and the first of the JCM 2000 TSL 50 and 100 series amps all came with 5881's. I love the TSL 100 clean tones with the 5881's!!!
    Guitars
    Washburn's
    Chicago Custom Shop USA's 1995 MG 122,100,102,120, 1994 MG-122, one off 1994 Prototype, 1999 WM-4, 200 3-ST Stealth
    Carvins 1990 Pearl Pink reverse headstock X220C, 1991 Sapphire Blue Flame V220R.
    Accoustics
    LTD 88 Takamine

Amps
    Fender Prosonic combo
    100 watt custom one off Prosonic head
    Fender 2/12 cab
    2 Avatar 2/12 cabs- Blond Oxblood with 75's and Red with Black Vin 30's
    Yamaha 4/12

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension
    Most of the later JCM 900's and the first of the JCM 2000 TSL 50 and 100 series amps all came with 5881's. I love the TSL 100 clean tones with the 5881's!!!

has always been said that 5881/6L6 cleans are better, like the Blackface fender twin reputed as the best clean sound ever, but i disagree, i think the Divided by 13 range is the best cleans ever, still with an american voicing i believe, but handmade in california boutique-style.

Post Thanks / Like

Default JTM 30/60's

Well, the problem apparently is that the tubes get too hot for one reason or another and the ventilation is not adequate. I recently purchased a JTM 30 because I have read so many good things about them tonally. I walked into a music store and saw it and asked them when Marshall reissued this line...it was that clean. It looked brand new! Yes, I bought it on the spot. I have read that if you mod it with a small computer fan that you will be rewarded with a great amp that will sound great and will be very reliable. I also have read that many came with 5881's and that going to a 6L6 will help with some of the heat as well. I think I'll try both.