Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another nubie string question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another nubie string question.

I have a Ibenez Artcore semi hollow body guitar. When I bought it I immediately changed the strings because I heard that is where guitar company's save some money by putting on cheap strings.

I had read some good things about D'addario strings so I put a set of EXL115's on it and really liked the sound and how well the stayed in tune. I used that brand and style for a least seven string changes.

The problem is that two days ago I went to buy a set of strings and the place I went was out of the EXL115's so even though they had other D'addario sets I purchased a set of GHS GBM 11 gauge strings. My problem is that the sound is a bit muddy compared to the D'addarios and will not stay in tune. After a few minutes playing my guitar will sound out of tune and when I check the tuning the low E can be Eb and several other strings will be flat also.

The high E and the B string will be in tune most times.

I installed them the same way I installed the D'addario's so I don't think that's the problem.

Should I just stick with the D'addario's? I play mostly Blues and some times Blues with a bit of jazz influence.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the gages aren't exactly the same. The low E is slightly bigger in particular so you could get binding at the nut. I use Boomers all the time and have also used D'Addario. I didn't find a ton of difference other than the Boomers tended to be a little longer lived. I don't think I could tell the difference in a blind test. You might have gotten a bad/old set. Stick with whatever strings you like. Very few companies actually make their own.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Did you stretch them well?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Did you stretch them well?
    I didn't stretch them because I never had to with the D'addario's nor with the Martin's I use on my acoustic guitar.

After playing for around two hours last night they seem to be holding tune better.

Post Thanks / Like

Advice from an old fart: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS pre-stretch a newly installed string or string set!!!! And once you've done it the first time and retuned your guitar, stretch 'em AGAIN!

Now tune up again and you should be set for the life of the strings. (Could go out of tune for various other reasons, but it WON'T be the strings!)

Btw, all Ibanez gits come strung w D'Addarios from the factory...

G
    Last edited by bigG; July 24th, 2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: add text
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

BigG is right. You should always stretch the strings. Give 'em a good steady pull, tune and repeat. When the string holds it's tune you're good to go.

You mention it's holding tune better now. Given enough time, playing and re-tuning will get the strings stretched and settled in. Stretching in the beginning accelerates the process.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

well I just learned something new

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigG

Btw, all Ibanez gits come strung w D'Addarios from the factory...

G
    When I did the first string change I thought the strings I was replacing looked just like the ones I was putting on.

But I'm still a nubie at guitars so I went and changed the strings anyways.

I will stretch my strings after every string change from now on.

Thanks to everyone that replied. I learned something new about guitars and I think that's very cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Boil your strings before you put them on. No need to stretch (old-timey bluesmen trick) :

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip
    Boil your strings before you put them on. No need to stretch (old-timey bluesmen trick) :
    I've heard of doing that when they are old and you still want to use them, but never heard that for new ones.

Google "boiling guitar strings"

I would think it to be a waste of time, but people do a lot of time wasting.

I will say with the right sauce they aren't bad, especially with a side dish of sauteed picks.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Actually it stretches them out alot, and takes the temper out as well. Try it (dry off before you restring) and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually it stretches them out alot, and takes the temper out as well. Try it (dry off before you restring) and see what happens.
    How long do you need to boil them? Do they need to be let loose from the way they are packaged?

Post Thanks / Like

'Uncoil' them from the package they come in, drop in boiling water for a few minutes (3-5 is fine), lay them on a towel to dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I've heard of doing that when they are old and you still want to use them, but never heard that for new ones.

Google "boiling guitar strings"

I would think it to be a waste of time, but people do a lot of time wasting.

I will say with the right sauce they aren't bad, especially with a side dish of sauteed picks.
    You can't just leave me hanging like that- what kinda picks? I'm already drooling all over my tackle box.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Strings

Get some Elixers! Trust me they are the best acoustic guitar strings you'll find. Little bit expensive, but very well worth it. :

Lincoln, UK. Probably at the V-Power pump. Again!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey matey

I've recently gotten an Ibanez Artcore semi-acoustic. {It came strung with D'Addarios as standard.}

It's my pet hate that (my own experience) guitar shops don't actually know what gauge of strings are on the guitars they sell.
    So I tried contacting Ibanez's UK partner customer support to find out - I got no response . I don't even know whether the guitar should have come with a manual (or a hex key for truss rod, etc...). Now that REALLY annoys me.

Anyways, after A LOT of angst and searching I found the downloadable manuals on the Ibanez website...

2009 Guitar Manual

Check out page 15 of the manual. The string gauge you probably need for your guitar is 10-52 ("light top heavy bottom" = 10,13,17,30, 42, 52).

I'll be re-stringing mine with the "Blues (10-52)" from here when the time comes...

Rotosound Strings

I use Rotosound Yellows (10-46) on my solid body Pacifica and like them a lot. They also come with an extra top e string as a bonus

Check out page 16 for the 'standard' action measurements as well.

Hope that helps...

Gotta echo the advice on stretching your strings. I always do it as part of the re-stringing process - gently lift each string away from the fretboard a few times. Once you've done all six, re-tune, and then repeat a second time. I find that if I don't do this, they'll be audibly out of tune after only 15 minutes of strumming or less as they stetch themselves from just being played. Stretching them during re-stringing and tuning prevents this and means that, personally, my guitar rarely goes out of tune. Even when put in a case and transported in a cold car when I go to lessons!

Cheerz

Mark H
    Translucent red Ibanez Artcore AFS75T archtop semi : Rotosound Roto Blues (10-52)
    Black/white Yamaha Pacifica 112V : Rotosound Roto Yellows (10-46)
    NEW - VOX Valvetronix VT30 with VFS5 foot-switches
    Crate V5 - 5 Watt valve amp voiced by 10" Jensen speaker
    KORG Pandora Toneworks PX4D effects gizmo
    Sensei called Johnny
    Oriental red sunburst Yamaha APX700 electro-acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

This thread got me to thinking...I wonder how many guitarists don't know abt pre-stretching strings and, as seems to be de rigueur these days, immediately blame "stock" tuning machines as being cheap and swap out the stock tuners for more expensive ones, when, in fact, it was simply the need to pre-stretch the damn strings!

Be interesting to know how often that occurs, me thinks. I'll bet WAY many more times than necessary (even [or especially] w new instruments, which do not come w the stock strings pre-stretched, in my experience.)
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Echoing Rampant and bigG, stretching (or, pre-stretching, if you will) the strings, as Rampant describes the process, is essential to properly stringing your guitar. It's not so much that the strings get stretched as it tightens the wraps of the string around the tuning machine's peg....like when you pull a knotted cord tight...to stabilize the bond of string-to-tuner and minimize the possibility of the string loosening its grip, thus lengthening itself and going flat. Loose strings render the best of tuning machines useless. It's not the tuning machine that's defective -- it's Operator Error. :

Post Thanks / Like

It's so hard to find a pot that my guitar will fit in.....
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast