Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signed up for King of the Blues at GC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Signed up for King of the Blues at GC

I was doing my usual Saturday noodling at GC, checking out amps, etc., playing the blues as always, and a couple of GC employees asked me if I had signed up for the contest. What contest, I says. The King of the Blues contest. Fabulous prizes, etc.

They both felt I had the tone and chops to do it, but I had to think about it. Why? Because I'm kinda new at this performance thing and am just starting to build confidence. However, after thinking about it, I decided to jump into the deep end. I felt pretty comfortable till I started thinking about it, and now my stomach is doing flips.

I have 3 weeks to get ready -- it's on August 20th. Would love to get any and all advice anyone has. The whole competitive aspect weirds me out a little.

Bob
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Go for for it! Just stick what you know best. I'm not familiar with the details of this contest, but I'd suggest stick to good solid lines and licks that you know well. Make some good guitar faces as you are soloing, and you'll be all set.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any advice since I've never played guitar in front of others (at least not people who know how guitar is supposed to be played). Nevertheless, I'll be pulling for ya!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Ah come on now briv2,wasn't that you in the windy city who rented an axe,forgot the strap but was playing up on stage still?I know you can do it brother,give it your best shot you will do great.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

I say good for it! Stick with some basic solos and chops done with feeling and little pedal effects.

Somewhere I saw comments from some blues contest that the best player used no effects at all while some of the other players used as much as twelve pedals while playing and did not win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    Ah come on now briv2,wasn't that you in the windy city who rented an axe,forgot the strap but was playing up on stage still?I know you can do it brother,give it your best shot you will do great.Sumi
    Yup, that was me, alright. Almost forgot! Thanks for the reminder, Sumi, to just tear it up.

As far as pedals go, I'm planning at the moment to go with only a Jekyll and Hyde. It'll be through a Twin, so I want to have some dirt.

Bob
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Birv! We'll be pulling for you! : :
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go for it Birv.

Think of it this way, no matter what happens you'll have gained experience.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for the good wishes and advice. I knew I could count on the Fretters. I'll post after August 20 with a report.

And it is true that it will be good experience no matter what. I keep telling myself that if I played at the jam at Buddy Guy's, the Lancaster Guitar Center is a LOT less scary.

Now to decide which guitar to use: the Squier Affinity strat with the 70's Japanese pickups (Sister Rosetta), or the Jimmie Vaughan with the CS 54's (Layla)? Fortunately, I only have 2 guitars to choose from!

Bob

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Use the JV strat! Those pickups I have too, and they are great for blues.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

The only Fender they have available is a Twin RI. I know these are pretty bright. I like a middy sound, and I'm wondering if using the Jekyll and Hyde will help me get that.

Anybody have any experience with this amp or pedal?

I'll probably go with the JV. I agree, Robert, those 54's are great blues pickups. But I do enjoy playing the Squier because it's fun to surprise people who expect it to sound terrible.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi birv2,

I also signed up for the same GC contest here in my area. I tried this contest a few years ago and it was a really good experience for me.

You will find that the other players are pretty supportive of each other. You will see everyone from young teenagers to old guys playing in this contest. It's a great way to motivate yourself to practice really hard and work on your blues playing.

My advice, having done it before, is to relax and play from your heart. Just play what you know and find a track that you really connect with.

Also, they do look for stage presence, which is kind of tough when you're up there all by yourself with no band playing with you, so it helps to move around and make a bit of a show out of it (this is the part that I'm the least comfortable with. I just like to play :-) But the guy who won at our store competition a few years ago was not really the best blues player of the bunch, but he did know how to put on a good guitar face and move around.

Good luck in the contest. I have my first round on the 27th. I don't know if I'll make it the the next round but I'll give it my best.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, thanks for the advice! It was very helpful.

Yes, part of the difficulty is that it's just you and a backing track. So you can't do fills around the vocals, and you can't trade solos with anyone. I'm thinking of varying tones with a pedal and different pickup positions just to break it up.

Post Thanks / Like

birv2,

Another thing that I would reccomend (which helped me last time) is to go to GC with your own guitar a few days before the contest and try your guitar, and any effects that you plan to use, with their selection of amps. Pick out an amp that gives you the tone you want. Bring a piece of paper and write down your settings so that you know exactly how you want to setup your amp for the contest.

Also, it's a good idea to video tape yourself playing to your selected track. Then you can watch your own performance and decide what's working, what's not, etc.

I hope this helps.
    Good luck in the contest, -- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good luck guys on the contest! I hope you have a ton of fun with it!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birv2
    The only Fender they have available is a Twin RI. I know these are pretty bright. I like a middy sound, and I'm wondering if using the Jekyll and Hyde will help me get that.

Anybody have any experience with this amp or pedal?

I'll probably go with the JV. I agree, Robert, those 54's are great blues pickups. But I do enjoy playing the Squier because it's fun to surprise people who expect it to sound terrible.
    Good luck!!!!
    Make sure to bring your J&H pedal! the Twin RI need a lot of fire to sound good.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Good going birv. Just relax and get into the zone.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update

Well, I'm scheduled to play at the KOTB tomorrow night. I had to reschedule it, which gave me an extra 2 weeks to get ready, not that I used it of course.

I went in a couple of nights ago to try out a couple other pedals on the Twin. No Twin there, they had sold it. In its place was a Hot Rod Deluxe, which I'm not really familiar with. So I played through it with my TS9DX and my Barber Direct Drive. A friend of mine listened to me and said he didn't think either of the pedals really made any difference in my sound. Since he fronts a blues band and has a good ear and lots of experience, I trust his judgment. So I think I'll try playing without a pedal and just crank the amp.

I also demoed both my guitars, and I'm going with the Squier. It just sounds and feels right for this. I re-read everyone's advice and good wishes here for good luck and practiced tonight. I worked on some lines and stuff, but I'm just going to play from the heart as best I can. There will no doubt be people more technically proficient, but that's not what the blues is about, is it?

I'll give a full report after it's over. Fingers crossed!

pes_laul Guest

I wanted to sign up really bad but I'm not very good at the blues.

But best of luck to you:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast