Thread: intonation difficulties

Post Thanks / Like

Default intonation difficulties

hi , ive got problems setting the intonation on my Ibanez RG guitar with floating bridge. The 12th fret is flat compared to the harmonic but the saddle has reached it's limit. Im using light top/heavy botom strings could that make a problem when set on a floating bridge ?

I ran into this problem after ajusting the neck and the action to remove buzzing on low frets and lowering the action.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you measure to see if your 12th fret was 1/2 the distance to the bridge?
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

A change of string gauge may fix that.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

there are many variables to consider with intonation:
    the strings guage, tuning, length and action all contribute to how the guitar intonates, unfortunately there is no single answer as setting up a guitar in itself could be considered an art. You really just have to play around with it, though I'd start with the height of the string since string length has already been explored.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

The first step in intonating a guitar with a floating trem is making sure that the trem is floating properly, i.e. the base of the trem is parallel with the body of the guitar and not pitched up or down. Is it?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I have been able to move the saddle farther than I tought it would go but the problem came back after a while and now the saddle really reached the end. I didnt change string gauge since it came from the repair shop and at that time the action and intonation was correct and there was no buzzing. the saddles where alot farther from the pickups.

I guess the problem would have something to do with the shape of the neck. tho I get some buzzing problems when I turn the neck rod in any direction.

Would bowing the neck in concave direction help getting the high frets sharper ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't attempt to fix intonation with neck settings.

First off, make sure it IS really needing to be even further back...you may have hit a harmonic that seems flat when it really isn't and it might work just fine and sound not flat even with saddle more forward.

2ndly, don't try to intonate to 12th fret only/to start with, first make sure you have an exact G on the 3rd fret when you have a good open E and so on; easier to see what is going on intonating those first, then check the 12th.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little confused reading about your intonation problem, I hope it is just me not understanding you correctly. If the intonation is flat at the 12th you need to move the saddle toward the neck to correct. Is that what you explained you did and ran out of room?

Post Thanks / Like

new strings did the trick, same gauge and everything I guess my strings were damaged or something. I've been able to set the intonation perfectly and lower the action without any fret buzzing.

thx for the infos
    so fun to play in tune again
    it was very anoying for the ears lol

Lincoln, UK. Probably at the V-Power pump. Again!
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it sorted....

{..I was thinking that you might need to move the entire floating bridge a small amount down the body of the guitar and then set the intonation again with the saddle adjustments..}

Cheerz

Mark H
    Translucent red Ibanez Artcore AFS75T archtop semi : Rotosound Roto Blues (10-52)
    Black/white Yamaha Pacifica 112V : Rotosound Roto Yellows (10-46)
    NEW - VOX Valvetronix VT30 with VFS5 foot-switches
    Crate V5 - 5 Watt valve amp voiced by 10" Jensen speaker
    KORG Pandora Toneworks PX4D effects gizmo
    Sensei called Johnny
    Oriental red sunburst Yamaha APX700 electro-acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zhaDe
    new strings did the trick, same gauge and everything I guess my strings were damaged or something. I've been able to set the intonation perfectly and lower the action without any fret buzzing.

thx for the infos
    so fun to play in tune again
    it was very anoying for the ears lol
    isn't it sweet when a change of strings is all you need to fix a problem? :