Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

I refinished my Les Paul
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I refinished my Les Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Default I refinished my Les Paul

After thinking it over and over i decided to do my first Les Paul refinish to my heavily relic Les Paul, all the stain and faded was done by hand with NO SPRAY GUNS, the lacquered finish was done with a spray can and polished by hand too, this was a 4 days work, around 16 hours total.

Hope you like it,The flames really got enhanced and i love it and think i will do nothing more to this baby........after I'm done with the back and sides.

Sanded body, ready for staining:

First stage of staining:

Final polished top:

After i used the stripping juice i was scared because the binding started melting, so i did it quickly, after that i used 150 grit dry sanding paper, then 220 and then 320.

I grabs some old t-shirts cut little pieces of it and use it as brush. The combination of the stains was tricky and i used a piece of pine to try the colors before i got it right and use it on the paul.

i spent about 2 hours total in staining the top, let it dry over the sunday night and on monday noon started spraying the lacquer, 2 good coats every 24 hours and light sanding with 2,400 grit wet sanding paper between every 24 hours, this until thursday morning where i did the final polishing with 3200, 3800, 4000, 8000, 1200 wet sand papers and a polishing paste #4 Swirl Remover from Stewart-Macdonald on a t-shirt. :

Here is a shot of the products i used for the finish.

Post Thanks / Like

You did WHAT???!!! Refinished a classic Gibson Les Paul????? Took a guitar worth twenty-seven-thousand-dollars and reduced it to a $14.95 piece of junk???!!! Blasphemy!!!!!

Just kidding. Looks like you did a very nice job. And you now have a LP unlike any others. Unique is good. Kudos to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nicely done. Looks great!

Post Thanks / Like

Under normal circumstances I would have advised against that, but you did a really nice job. I think it looks great.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OMG, that is a beauty! Very classy and tasteful.

All the prep work and polishing after made the difference. Well done.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice....do you have any before pictures?
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

I would be scared to death to re-finish a Les Paul....

However, I feel I have done a very professional and convincing new finish on one of my strats... I could give you a few pointers if you wanted

Post Thanks / Like

VERY well done!
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Got some better sun light today, it makes the grain pop up.

Nico.

Post Thanks / Like

Were you bored? I'm guessing the original finish shown in the pics (if the pics are your guitar) didn't do it for you. I don't get it.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 8d2studios
    Got some better sun light today, it makes the grain pop up.

Nico.

WOW.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

This is an update on my 2003 LP refinish, now its time to show the back and sides.

I need your opinions on whether to leave it as it is right now, with all that beautiful grain showing in all its porous glory, or continue applying lacquer until the mirror gloss comes out. I have to say that i like it this way, but know it will look great with high gloss too......decisions......decisions....Urrrr

Back sanded ready for staining:

Reflection of the porous back:

I did not know the back had so much going on, with all this refinish test i have learned that Gibson does not do its best to really show how beautiful its wood can be, same happened with the top, it has much more flames now.

Post Thanks / Like

Tough decision. It does look good now, but...

I like a mirror shine so I'd be laying on the lacquer. Think how beautiful it will look under that shine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 8d2studios
    This is an update on my 2003 LP refinish, now its time to show the back and sides.

I need your opinions on whether to leave it as it is right now, with all that beautiful grain showing in all its porous glory, or continue applying lacquer until the mirror gloss comes out. I have to say that i like it this way, but know it will look great with high gloss too......decisions......decisions....Urrrr
    If the stain you used is also a sealer, I'd put on a coat of satin varnish, lightly sand with dry Silicon Carbide 400 to knock off the imperfections and to provide a slightly roughened texture, then a second varnish coat followed by an extra light sanding with dry Silicon Carbide 600. Personally, I'd use a satin varnish instead of a high gloss.

That said, I have plenty of staining and varnishing with various woods on fireplace mantals, and custom mahogony doors, but not guitars. A durable finish on a stained exterior door requires 3 thin coats of spar varnish with sanding using dry Silicon Carbide 220, 400, and 600 after each respective coat, for instance.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    If the stain you used is also a sealer, I'd put on a coat of satin varnish, lightly sand with dry Silicon Carbide 400 to knock off the imperfections and to provide a slightly roughened texture, then a second varnish coat followed by an extra light sanding with dry Silicon Carbide 600. Personally, I'd use a satin varnish instead of a high gloss.

That said, I have plenty of staining and varnishing with various woods on fireplace mantals, and custom mahogony doors, but not guitars. A durable finish on a stained exterior door requires 3 thin coats of spar varnish with sanding using dry Silicon Carbide 220, 400, and 600 after each respective coat, for instance.

Great advice man, thanks a lot.: :

Post Thanks / Like

Thank a lot.

I did 2 more coats on her yesterday, still far from glossy the back is becoming more beautiful with every coat.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno if I would have had the guts to do it, but it does look really nice!

Post Thanks / Like

New image:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast