Thread: Boiling Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boiling Strings

This subject was discussed recently. I'd never tried this, so when 000 was due for a string change I thought I'd give the boiling thing a try. For the record the guitar is a solid wood, spruce and rosewood, M-30 Morgan Monroe. Strings, D'addario 11's. phosphur/bronze.

I removed the strings, coiled them loosely and dropped them into a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes. Let them cool and dry, then restrung.

Did they sound like new strings No. Did they sound better, yes. Not as bright and crisp as new strings, but more life than before boiling. So after a fashion I guess I'd say the trick works. But, at least for me, there is a big downside. It's a real nuisance to restring with old strings with bent ends. I managed to stab myself several times trying to manage all the kinks and twisted ends.

Bottom line, strings are pretty cheap, you don't restring all that often and it's WAY easier to do the job with nice, new, long and straight strings.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I Googled this some time back and came to the conclusion that it was easier to buy new strings.

I also read to boil new strings to help them stretch.

If I recall, the results tend to be better or more obvious with bass strings.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    If I recall, the results tend to be better or more obvious with bass strings.
    That and bass strings tend to be substantially more expensive per set, thus any lifetime extension would be welcome. Having said that, I've never done it. My personal skin chemistry is so easy on strings, it's never been an issue.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I did this back in my "starving artist" period. I totally agree with everthing said. Now I'm willing to shell out for new ones when it's time just because it's such a hassle to do the process. It's not really worth it because strings are pretty inexpensive overall. But bass stings I still boil and keep that set for backup and just put a new set on.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Boiled many sets in my younger days.............
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

bass strings boiled in vinegar... smelled like pickles, but it did clean them up nicely and they sounded pretty much brand new...

that was quite a few years ago... easier to buy new strings now
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

i just put on new strings, then stick my finger under each string at the 12th fret and pull up about an inch and a half for a few seconds, and repeat a couple of times. Ends up being easier than boiling, boiling seems too much like hard work.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Odd coincidence as I'd never heard of this until last week. A buddy who comes over to play boils them in a vinegar solution and swears by it. He's also preparing for a total collapse of modern society into anarchy and chaos so take that fer what it's worth! Cleaning the gunk is one thing but strings start out round (duh) and end up with stretched / flat portions which is why they get harder and harder to keep in tune throughout their length.

Post Thanks / Like

But if you add some onions and carrots.........mmmmmmmm