Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
What's yer best OD pedal? Duh, any ideas?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's yer best OD pedal? Duh, any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default What's yer best OD pedal? Duh, any ideas?

I don't change my setup very often, but one thing I do vary some is OD pedals.

I've used a few tubescreamer variations, liked 'em...and then gone back to Marshall Jackhammer. (very little drive, OD mode, some boost - sounds very much like a cranked old JCM800 on my Ceriatone and loses no definition).

I also bought a BOSS Od-2 (I think - the yellow one) and I loved that too, but then in comparison, again I reverted to the Jackhammer. For a really big part though I only use a compressor to make the ceria scream, or sometimes a tech-21 clean boost.

Now I understand Duhvoodooman builds pedals and understands a lot of them...is there really much difference between the pedals, or is it just between the ears? What would be your suggestions? Remember I live in Finland so I have no access to his or many other boutique pedals.

What I would like is an OD pedal that has bare minimum of controls - wouldn't change the sound very much but still give my already very crunchy EL84 amp sing 'over the edge'. I need only one setting on it anyway, I hate pedals with lots of options and tone knobs and whatnot - no need for those. Just gain and maybe volume is already too much :-)

I wonder if I should also try some distortion pedals, maybe I could get something out of those as well...haven't really owned distortions in 10 years or so, except all those modelers I've played. Well there's a distortion mode in the jackhammer, but it isn't too good - quite buzzy.

But...anybody know a tubescreamer that retains clarity well and doesn't clutter up or darken the sound much?

Oh one more thing...I don't really like tube pedals/drivers in front of a 100% tube amp either...it gets way too saturated/thick and warm, gets that buzzy quality just like Santana and Moore and even Slash etc...I hate that guitar hero warm thick 'easy listening' sound, it's gotta have some liveliness and edge to it.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I've you're looking for a quality OD pedal that isn't too complicated you should check out the Lovepedal COT 50 (Church of Tone).

Thats a pretty good review of it, but it really sounds and feels amazing in person.

I think tubescreamers are kind of like ice cream. They are all sweet but they all taste a little different and everyone has their own preference. Some days I really like my typical ts-808 clone, but somedays I really want the smooth sound of my fulldrive 2. Its all in what you hear and how your feeling that day. Most of us can't settle on one OD for too long.

Post Thanks / Like

You might try to find an Ibanez TS-9DX Turbo Distortion. Very common througout the world.

It has four different modes of OD from vintage Tube Screamer sounds to modern boutique Tube Screamer sounds.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

And if you want to compare a few, try this cool thing:

http://www.oldtonezone.com/distortio...-comparinator/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmann
    And if you want to compare a few, try this cool thing:

http://www.oldtonezone.com/distortio...-comparinator/
    Excellent comparison tool. Thanks for posting it!

The Holy Fire Overdrive/Distortion pedal from Creation Audio Labs is quite an impressive pedal. Use the oldtonezone.com "comparinator" tool and run it against the other pedals, and you might agree. The Bad Monkey is one of the best overdrive pedals for the money.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

My Lovepedal Eternity does the EL-84 thing very well. It also cleans up very well with your volume.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    The Holy Fire Overdrive/Distortion pedal from Creation Audio Labs is quite an impressive pedal. Use the oldtonezone.com "comparinator" tool and run it against the other pedals, and you might agree. The Bad Monkey is one of the best overdrive pedals for the money.
    That Holy Fire pedal sounds pretty good. I wish that the guy doing the demo would turn off the reverb and let us hear the pedal unaffected.

Here's another demo:

Thanks for giving me GAS, Tig :

tung

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Thanks for giving me GAS, Tig :
    tung
    You're welcome! I guess you owe me.

The pedal has a huge rage, but still retains your original tone better than most, all while staying fairly simple. G for gain (nice clean boost). O for overdrive. D for distortion. The bottom knob cuts out either high or low frequencies. Roll off your volume at any pedal setting still produces a great nearly bypassed tone without sounding muddy.

The Vince Genella demo digs into the controls at around 1:30, and yes, he's using way too much reverb in the last part.

Here's a good demo...

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

another one from lovepedal! the Purple Plexi overdrive.

cranked marshall tones, as you could guess from the name. and its purple.

its one-up from the church of tone, as mentioned by the PGS guy.

Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

pes_laul Guest

I know everyone was talking about how cool their bad monkeys were so I wanted to be one of the popular kids so I bought one. Up to date it is been my favorite overdrive pedal Ive played/owned.

also it's sits pretty nice between 50 and 60$

Post Thanks / Like

the purple plexi is $200

bit of a margin on the bad monkey :P
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say my BBE Green Screamer or my BBE Crusher
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Now I understand Duhvoodooman builds pedals and understands a lot of them...is there really much difference between the pedals, or is it just between the ears?
    There is certainly a wide range of difference between the countless OD pedals out there. It's true that many are variations on the Tube Screamer circuit--not surprising, because it's a great sounding effect in many people's opinion, my own included. But there are OD pedals that far different from the old TS design and have their own unique sound, and it's even possible to substantially alter the characteristic TS tone by changing a just handful of components.

You don't have to spend a fortune for a good sounding OD pedal either. While there are any number of $300 - $400 boutique pedals out there, there are also great sounding overdrives like the Digitech Bad Monkey or the Danelectro Transparent Overdrive that can be had for under $50. Obviously, you're not going to get a handbuilt & customized pedal of the type I offer for that kind of price, but you can still get a good sounding OD.

But...anybody know a tubescreamer that retains clarity well and doesn't clutter up or darken the sound much?
    The aforementioned Danelectro Transparent Overdrive fits this description well. Another pedal that I have been very impressed with is the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver with the Allums "H2O Plus" modification installed. This is the most transparent overdrive pedal I own (though the BYOC British Blues is very close) and has plenty of treble clarity and top-end bite. Lots of gain, too, when dialed way up. The BD-2 is widely available, and Allums ships their mod kits internationally.

Remember I live in Finland so I have no access to his or many other boutique pedals.
    You guys have mail over there, right? I don't know about those "other boutique pedals", but the ol' Voodoo Man has been known to send a pedal or two across the big pond under some circumstances....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    You guys have mail over there, right? I don't know about those "other boutique pedals", but the ol' Voodoo Man has been known to send a pedal or two across the big pond under some circumstances....
    Listen to Duh Vodooman and decide on a botique pedal built for you! The shipping and handling is about 13 usd which equals a bottle of finnish Koskenkorva Vodka...
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, I'd hate to spend 200+ on an od pedal sight(ear) unheard, so I guess I'll first check out the Bad Monkey which is common enough 'round here, and then see if I can find the Danelectro. If those fail to gratify enough, I'll look into the BD-2 mod thingy.

This is sort of a difficult matter...you know, I'm happy with what I have, so reluctant to spend bigger money, yet there's always this nagging feeling maybe something out there is better...:-) plus I can't think of anything else I could hunt for or improve on my guitar gear, so I really feel the need to go look and shop for something - anything - but just can't think of anything I could use other than another OD pedal.

I have a bad habit of selling off good gear too. I had this amazing old DOD pedal, tubeFX 100 or something, which was crap on my full rig but simply :amazing: in front of an SS amp like a Cube or whatever. I really regret selling that one...

Anyway, thanks a lot for the suggestions...something to hunt for a good while now :-)
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

BTW I tried the comparison thingy, and...well I just can't hear any differences between the pedals listed. I dunno if there's a problem, but those sound exactly alike to me. Live, I hear plenty difference...but those clips, nada.
    Dee

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I find the Danelectro Drive as well as the Transparent Overdrive sound significantly better than the Bad Monkeh. At least with my Suhr and my amps.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW I tried the comparison thingy, and...well I just can't hear any differences between the pedals listed. I dunno if there's a problem, but those sound exactly alike to me. Live, I hear plenty difference...but those clips, nada.

Try with some good headphones.. They made very similar soundclips and some pedals nearly sound the same - but there is a difference. The medium gain-comparison shows a lot of the character of each pedal.

Post Thanks / Like

The Fulltone OCD retains my original tone. Just makes it dirtier. The plain ol' Boss BD-2 will keep your sound intact EQ-wise, but add some fur around the edges.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast