Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Led Zep issue

Post Thanks / Like

Back before "classic rock" was classic, I used to dig Zep somewhat. I always liked Page's style, but never really liked Plant's vocals that much. I still own LZ 1, LZ 2 and Houses of the Holy, but haven't listened to them in years, literally. If only I could hear Page playing with someone who's vocals didn't make me squint and pucker... Oh, yeah, there's this!

-Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger
    I was a big fan until I found out how much of their stuff was plagiarized, lifted, and just plain stolen. Seldom listen anymore....
    "There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth." - Homer Simpson
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I went to a concert once and the opening band was some group called Led Zepplin,man I won't forget that,they were great,you had to be there man the vibe the timing (late 60's)all the good smoke ect.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe you guys. pfffft.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I have not visited in a few days but after reading a few threads this one the gibby ,prs one and a few others im sorry but the forum is starting to sound like a bunch of whiny girls: Where has the positive vibe and spirit gone to.................:

My opinion nothing more nothing less
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Not meaning to hijack this thread at all, but-

has anyone ever listened to the album Robert Plant made with Alison Krauss? Granted, it's more of a country feel but I really enjoy it. Quite on the other side of the spectrum from Zep. I think it shows a lot of Plant's versatility.

On the other hand, I like Zep, just not all the time.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't listen to Zep because of Robert Plants voice, to me it's the same song after song. I do like some of their songs, but for the music part of it only.

As for the Beatles, they are the ones that got me interested in music from the moment I heard them and then watched them on Ed Sullivan. Being a fan of the 2 to 2.5 minute song, they were (and remain) great in my eyes (and ears).

Admittedly I was a Zep fan when I was in my teens, but that was probably more of a case of jumping in with the herd.

Mudcat, it must be the southern air.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peachhead
    has anyone ever listened to the album Robert Plant made with Alison Krauss? Granted, it's more of a country feel but I really enjoy it. Quite on the other side of the spectrum from Zep. I think it shows a lot of Plant's versatility.
    i agree. it was a beautifully done album and the more subdued side of plant's singing went perfectly with krauss'. working with a singer like her forced plant to focus on actual singing rather than howling the blues. granted, i love led zeppelin, though admittedly, sometimes i tire of plant's vocals. the raising sand album was a welcome change of pace for plant. of course, it didn't hurt that marc ribot was all over that album.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    i agree. it was a beautifully done album and the more subdued side of plant's singing went perfectly with krauss'. working with a singer like her forced plant to focus on actual singing rather than howling the blues. granted, i love led zeppelin, though admittedly, sometimes i tire of plant's vocals. the raising sand album was a welcome change of pace for plant. of course, it didn't hurt that marc ribot was all over that album.
    I haven't heard the whole album, but I did see a thing on VH1 Classic with them. I liked the songs well enough and Krauss certainly does provide some significant eye candy.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

The Plant Krauss album is a beauty.

As for Zepp stealing, they were the most blatant, but hardly alone. Cream, The Yardbirds, John Mayall and many others shamelessly lifted. Some call it theft. Others call it early sampling. I don't agree with it, but it's not fair to dump it all on Zepp. It was common.

As for them, I agree and can't stand the overplayed stuff, even though Stairway is a great song, structurally. But their gems are often not the most played stuff, In My Time of Dying, being a great example. Give a listen to In Through the Out Door and Physical Graffitti. You might be surprised.

As for The Beatles, there are many people who agree. I don't care for their earliest stuff, as it's just watered down. The Stones did the same thing with way more balls.

But then the Beatles made Revolver and Rubber Soul. And then they made The White Album (Pepper and Mystery Tour in between). Don't judge until you've at least listened to Revolver/Rubber and White Album. Much of what we hear on the radio isn't their strongest stuff.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

I really like and respect Allison Krauss's work, but found the Robert Plant collaboration album lackluster and just plain BORING.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott
    The Plant Krauss album is a beauty.

As for Zepp stealing, they were the most blatant, but hardly alone. Cream, The Yardbirds, John Mayall and many others shamelessly lifted. Some call it theft. Others call it early sampling. I don't agree with it, but it's not fair to dump it all on Zepp. It was common.
    But isn't that the case with most artists? We tend to display our roots. I think a band that has many different musical roots may disguise it more or become more creative by mixing the roots of each band member. However, we tend to draw on what got us started or was our greatest influence.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh I don't really get Zep either. For me, there's their 1st and 2nd albums which are real good basic blues re-done with a twist, really great vocal work, and IV, which has some great production and songs.

All the rest, just useless to me. Never liked their sounds either.

Other 'must like' bands I don't:

The Beatles.
    Deep Purple
    Pink Floyd
    The Rolling Stones

Someone mentioned ACDC...well them I love, but mostly the Bon Scott era.
    Back in Black is OK, For those...is OK, but then right up to Stiff upper lip (quite OK) and Black Ice (actually very good) they did nothing worth listening to. Usually most people think quite the opposite.

But hey, tastes vary.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, I used to listen to classic stuff, but once I started hearing it on the radio, and hearing everything called "classic", and seeing a bunch of people who really only listen to rock music because it was on guitar hero, It kinda pissed me off, and now I listen to grindcore,death metal, and some actual music, but mostly grindcore and death metal.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12