Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hey it's not brown!!!

Thread: Hey it's not brown!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey it's not brown!!!

Yet another addition to the herd. Likely a visitor, but has the potential of permanent resident status.

This is a MIJ Epi PR-650. From the bad old Norlin years. As is typical of MIJ Epis (or Gibsons) from the Norlin era dating is almost impossible. This model was made in Japan from 80-83. Specs are listed as "high integrity, select spruce top. Mahogany back and sides". In acoustic speak all laminate. The saddle had been butchered a bit. Why do people think cutting slots is a good idea??? Easy fix as I had a micarta saddle that was close to perfect, just a bit of sanding. Other than that and some light pic marks and a small scratch on the headstock she's in great shape. The difference in tone after replacing the saddle and strings was dramatic.

I've had her just over a week. The tone is very bright and crisp, nice sparkle. Does not have the dread rumble and is not as sweet as the 000. A bit more of a rough, raw sound but in a very good way.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a PR350 that I was able to determine date

Korea
    June c.1990
    Production Number: 1544

Mine was sitting in a store collecting dust and it followed me home.

If you haven't done it yet, try this

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

Like yours, mine has a bright sound. I haven't done anything to it (I think it has the same strings on it from when I bought it).
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice guys. BUT Strum . . . what the hell???? Change those damn strings out already. You know they don't retain their value just because they have the original strings.:
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    Very nice guys. BUT Strum . . . what the hell???? Change those damn strings out already. You know they don't retain their value just because they have the original strings.:
    I think I have to read 100 more threads titled "What Strings Should I Use" before I can narrow it down to 20 to 30 brands.

Hmm, not a bad idea for Ebay - 1990 PR350 w/original strings - $25,000
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Keel, I meant to ask - what is Norlin days?
    Mark

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I think I have to read 100 more threads titled "What Strings Should I Use" before I can narrow it down to 20 to 30 brands.

Hmm, not a bad idea for Ebay - 1990 PR350 w/original strings - $25,000
    : Im pretty sure I posted one of those before I learned about the mythical search: button

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    : Im pretty sure I posted one of those before I learned about the mythical search: button
    I think anyone that started playing the guitar after the existence of guitar forums has posted that question. I have come to the conclusion that search engines do not recognize "strings".
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I almost hate to bring this up, but CB's guitar teacher sent home a set of Earnie Ball Earthwood lights for my birthday. I've never tried them and I'm actually looking forward to giving them a shot.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Keel, I meant to ask - what is Norlin days?
    Norlin was to Gibson/Epiphone what CBS was to Fender. Norlin bought Gibby's parent comany in 1969, sold it in 83. Most of the Japanese built Epi's of that period where built in the Matsumoku plant. Aria, and a bunch of other brands where built in the same place. The Norlin days had a bunch of rather bad guitars and a few gems. The good ones tend to be undervalued.

FYI the guitardater project does not support MIJ serial numbers from the Norlin era. I e-mailed Gibson and got a very prompt response. Cannot date the guitar but they did say the guitar was built at the Matsumoku plant between 80 and 83. In 83 production was moved to Korea.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke