Thread: Backyard Gig

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Backyard Gig

Myra and I did a duo gig yesterday, played at some old lady's backyard out in small village. The crowd response was amazing! There were maybe 20 people there, and they were mostly older. No beer there - just lemonade and desserts!

They gave us some tip in a hat - about a hundred bucks in total! Amazing. Plus we got a couple of hundred as a gig fee. Not a bad night. It was super nice out too, and very few mosquitoes.

The crowd (all twenty of them) were up dancing together on the grass as we played Midnight Special and The House Is a Rockin', etc - old and young (but mostly old) .... :

We played 2 x 40 minutes, at the most. Nice little gig, I tell ya!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

pes_laul Guest

That's awesome Robert

Backyard gigs (any outdoor in general) are always alot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds really cool! 20 people enjoying the music is better than 100 who aren't having fun any day. :
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

That does sound cool. <sigh> maybe one day....

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool :
    I'd love to do something like that someday. It must have been great having the audience react the way they did... I'm sure it was an awesome night.
    Congrats on the cool outing
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, Robert!

I used to play many an outdoor gig, from major festivals to backyards (sweet sixteen parties, bar mitzvahs, weddings, frat parties, biker parties, you name it) to motel and hotels out by the pool parties...

As has already been said, the best ones are when the people, no matter how many, have fun! Makes the band feel appreciated and have even more fun themselves. More good memories...:
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I was surprised. So often, we are background music, and people don't pay attention because they are busy talking, etc.

Typically if we are playing an establishment, we get the drunks at the bar dancing towards the end of the night, but this was church-going non-drinking people just loving the music and dancing away. That meant a lot to me, actually much more than words.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Yeah, I was surprised. So often, we are background music, and people don't pay attention because they are busy talking, etc.

Typically if we are playing an establishment, we get the drunks at the bar dancing towards the end of the night, but this was church-going non-drinking people just loving the music and dancing away. That meant a lot to me, actually much more than words.
    Right on, man, right on! :
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you. Enthusiasm beats numbers any day, I think. I'd rather play for a small group who dig it than in a big bar where I feel like a jukebox.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah