Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The most ridiculous band names

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The most ridiculous band names

Here is a good list!

http://new.ca.music.yahoo.com/blogs/...us-band-names/

I like "Phil and the Osophers".
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

#9: Test Icicles - MUAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

i don't think either of these are ridiculous, rather quite clever and funny and two of my favorite names (and two excellent bands as well)

1. japancakes
    2. crack sabbath
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

The Eagles Of Death Metal
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Mogan David and the Grapes of Wrath
    The Ex-communicators
    The Chocolate Watchband
    The Peanut Butter Conspiracy
    Dog Breath
    Eggy Motworth and Produce
    Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys
    The Gonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
    Trip n' The Light Fantastics
    The Circle Jerks
    Dirk Kloud and the Silver Linings
    Ultimate Spinach
    Darwin and His Pet Theories
    Adolph and the Sons of Abraham
    The Blues Magoos
    And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead
    ? and the Mysterians
    The Nightcrawlers
    The Fab Faux
    Electric Prunes
    The Dew Drop Inns

That's all that come to mind right now from over the years...
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate Spinach.... gotta love that name!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Those names aren't even close to the most ridiculous ones. The Tony Danza one is hi-larious. The worst names, in my mind, tended to be some of the hippy bands who came up with their name after ingesting some non-prescription pharmaceuticals. Such as the infamous "Strawberry Alarm Clock," best (only?) known for their hit "Incense and Peppermints."

I would have thought that "Toad the Wet Sprocket" would have made the list. It's a ridiculous name. Nevertheless I love it because it is an obscure Monty Python reference. Never really listened to their music, though.

When I was in a bluegrass band in college we came up with a number of names. The band leader's last name was Pries so we thought of "Judas Pries." We ended up settling on "Ban Jovi," a name that no one ever spelled right.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Ah.

Cover bands often have funky names.

Let's Eppelin.
    Vanha Len.
    Coverdale (whitesnake tribute)

etc.

But the stupidest ones:

A local band.
    Serious Serial Squirrel Killers and The Scubadiving Guineapigs featuring da Boys.

Well that a local band was funny the 1st time I saw their poster : performing today: a local band. Heheh.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Those names aren't even close to the most ridiculous ones. The Tony Danza one is hi-larious. The worst names, in my mind, tended to be some of the hippy bands who came up with their name after ingesting some non-prescription pharmaceuticals. Such as the infamous "Strawberry Alarm Clock," best (only?) known for their hit "Incense and Peppermints."

I would have thought that "Toad the Wet Sprocket" would have made the list. It's a ridiculous name. Nevertheless I love it because it is an obscure Monty Python reference. Never really listened to their music, though.

When I was in a bluegrass band in college we came up with a number of names. The band leader's last name was Pries so we thought of "Judas Pries." We ended up settling on "Ban Jovi," a name that no one ever spelled right.
    Rev, good on ya! I can't believe I left out Toad the Wet Sprocket! Their "fear" album is one of my all-time favorites! Give it a listen if you get a chance :

Robert: yeah man! Ultimate Spinach! We opened for them, who, in turn were opening for It's a Beautiful Day (of "White Bird" fame). Good bands, both. I have one of each of their LPs, but haven't listened to them in ages.
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Purely off the top of my head... I'll stick with a few groups that had, um, interesting names. Maybe not the most rediculous, but fun to bring up:

Kajagoogoo

Jody Foster's Army

The Hugh Beaumont Experience

MC 900 Foot Jesus

Mr. Mister

Hoobastank

The Jesus & Mary Chain

Hootie and the Blowfish
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

What about Clara and the Clambumpers.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Not necessarily ridiculous, but interesting

Daggy and The Dickheads
    The Hasselhoff Experiment
    Breast Secreting Cake
    Discharge
    Peter & The Test Tube Babies
    Afghan Whigs
    Screaming Trees

FWIW I think Nirvana is a terrible name for a band.
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if we were talking about the "worst" band names, there's a local band that I would nominate . . . "Falling Upwards".

I'm not sure what you would have to be smoking to think that was cool.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

How about:

Dickey Do and the Don'ts - and their only hit "Oh, La Me, I Sho' Gotta Pee"

Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

pes_laul Guest

theres a local band called yardsale underwear

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    theres a local band called yardsale underwear
    Actually . . . I kinda like that one Pes!

I should probably . . . just . . . turn off the computer and go to bed . . . now . . .:
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    Actually . . . I kinda like that one Pes!

I should probably . . . just . . . turn off the computer and go to bed . . . now . . .:
    better than the butthole surfers...or is it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    better than the butthole surfers...or is it
    Well, I've never been surfing . . . and I've never been . . . ok, I'll probably get nasty pm's from mods if I keep this up.

Post Thanks / Like

the name 'Kid Rock' always made me laugh very hard. (unsure as to why)

and all those emo bands with crud names like 'my chemical romance' and '30 seconds to mars'

that butthole surfers thing brought tears to my eyes (in a hysterical way)
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast