Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Best nut material?

View Poll Results: Best material for Strat nut?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tusq

1 7.69%
  • Brass

1 7.69%
  • Bone

8 61.54%
  • Graphite

3 23.08%

Thread: Best nut material?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best nut material?

What is the best material for replacing a Strat nut?
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure there is a 'best', but I went with Tusq here. Not overly expensive, and very consistant quality. I've seen many like bone for acoustics, but being a natural material, it can vary in quality and end result.

If you're looking to replace yours, maybe have a look into the LSR roller nut, they look like a good alternative as well.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Algonquin; August 13th, 2009 at 06:40 AM.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the guitar. I like graphite for guitars with trems but I feel that a nut that is cut well is more important than the material it's made from. That doesn't happen as often as it should.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered a bone nut.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

How 'bout one of these

Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    How 'bout one of these

Marnold, I don't miss those days. My Jem would sit in it's case for months because I hated changing strings so much.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you asked because I've been wondering about it myself, along with getting a new trem block kit from GFS.

Post Thanks / Like

Shiner slowly backs out of the thread and closes the door before saying anything that will piss off CB.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of bone nuts and saddles for acoustics. Can't really contribute for electrics.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    Shiner slowly backs out of the thread and closes the door before saying anything that will piss off CB.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of bone nuts and saddles for acoustics. Can't really contribute for electrics.
    Heh,heh,heh......... I'm not gonna say it either.............
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    Depends on the guitar. I like graphite for guitars with trems but I feel that a nut that is cut well is more important than the material it's made from. That doesn't happen as often as it should.
    I have to agree with hubberjub, if the workanship on an instrument is terrible, it won't matter what the instrument is made of, it's still going to be terrible.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub

+1

If we are talking material change for the sake of change, money could be better spent elsewhere. However, it is up to the individual and it is their money.

If I had to make a change and the options listed were my choices - I would go with bone.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

pes_laul Guest

How 'bout one of these

I actually find changing strings on those are quite easy and they stay in tune really nicely.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

How 'bout one of these
    Do you trap black bear with that thing???
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Graphtech saddles and nuts are great for my strats:
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Bone is my overall choice, but like hubber said, it's more important that it's cut right. Any nut is acceptable to me as long as it doesn't bind the strings. And a dose of Nut Sauce will equalize 'em all, pretty much.

I do hate locking nuts, and just got rid of one when I sold my Ibanez S520EX. I'll go w locking tuners any day. But I'm not a brutal whammy user, so standard tuners are usually fine w me. The Pings on my MIM Fat Strat work just fine. Most all my others use Gotohs, Grovers or Schallers - no problems, hardtail or whammy...
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.