Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Super Champ XD?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Champ XD?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Super Champ XD?

I just ran across one of these in a pawn.

Like new.

It's tagged at $250, but since I can get one brand new for $299, I'm pretty sure I can get the seller down to $200.

Anyone have any experience with these? They seem to have a pretty good rep, for what they are. I do not expect it to sound like an original Champ, or any of the way more expensive Fenders, but apparently even without all the DSP effects, the clean channel is good, and the amp reportedly takes pedals well. Also, I have a 2x12 open-back DIY cab with a couple Celestion Silverbacks in it that I could hook it up to for more oomph.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Cash is currently burning hole in pocket so RSVP ASAP, haha!

Post Thanks / Like

Get it but pay no more than $200 to the pawn shop. They are great amps, highly thought of and if you don't like the speaker, the Rajin' Cajun is perfect for the SCXD.

DUFF on the forum has one and he raves about it. If it's in pawn, test her out first as it just seems odd that an SCXD is in. Maybe something isn't right with it??

Post Thanks / Like

A truly nice little amp. I have one and love it. Be sure and reset the bias
    and you may want to consider a new speaker since you gig so much. I have
    the Ragin' Cajun and it rawks!
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great amp! Get it for the cleans only. If you like some of the DSP, that's icing! Beautiful, rounded Fender clean tones!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger
    A truly nice little amp. I have one and love it. Be sure and reset the bias
    and you may want to consider a new speaker since you gig so much. I have
    the Ragin' Cajun and it rawks!
    I doubt I'd ever use for gigs, this is more for around Casa Krashpad, and maybe church or closer to acousticish-level things.

I can hook it to a 2x12 Celestion cab or even my Risson 4x12 for more oomph if I need or want to go there.

What's all this about resetting bias?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Well, I went for it!

SCORE!

Just went back, checked all around the clock on the effects, everything seems to work, even hooked it up to my open-back 2x12. Plenty loud, sounds good.

Total damage?

$175 USD!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! Krash, you are, without doubt, the King of the Great Gear Deal!

DVM --> : <-- Krash
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Great deal! I love mine.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE MY super champ!

Post Thanks / Like

I love mine. :

Congrats - I think that you will like it

Rock on :

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Thanks guys.

DVM, as far as scoring killer deals, I'm on good terms with this particular pawnbroker. He's a good guy. I told him my "rule of thumb" being half of "street," but also let him know that I realized this was a VERY clean amp and let him know that my rule of thumb was not an absolute barrier. The $175 price was one he gave me, and I think very fair.

I make a point of going in once or twice a week (this pawn is just a couple blocks from my office), and buying DVD's (they're only $3, after all) to support him in some small way between large purchases, and have also done him some small favors over the years (such as suggesting simple things he could do, like tightening tuning pegs on guitars that are slipping, and one time even pricing an item for him on the fly, when he had some kids interested in something that he hadn't priced yet). He also knows that I have tons of guitars and amps and am thus not "needy" of anything he has, but will buy a good deal.

It's good to know your pawnbroker by his first name.

And of course, it helps to live in a town with a very large land-grant state university, a very large community college that doubles as a satellite campus for a private upper division university, and a thriving music scene. The ratio of musicians to normal people here is through the roof. Makes for much better pawn inventory.

Off to church to try her out! WIll use as my stage monitor and line out to my bigger 1x15 rig (which I can never hear, since it's in front of me and pointed away, towards the congregation)

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to hear your "review" after hearing and playing it live.

I've noodled with it a lot at GC, and really like some of the sounds. If it were a bit louder, I might be tempted...
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Dude that's an awesome deal congrats.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I am tempted to buy one of these. Congrats!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Wanted to buy the foot switch from Sweetwater, which sells it for $19.99, but it is out of stock. Musician's Friend's price is $24.99, but they price-matched, so that should be here not for this weekend, but hopefully the next.

Am really liking the Vox voicing.

Post Thanks / Like

How loud does it actually get Brian? Can you crank it and smile? You know...that "yeah it's loud enough" smile? I love the clean tones on that sucker.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    How loud does it actually get Brian? Can you crank it and smile? You know...that "yeah it's loud enough" smile? I love the clean tones on that sucker.
    Oh, it's loud enough. Certainly more than enough to drown out any stereo system I've ever owned. I was playing it a couple days ago in the office over lunch, and between 0 and 1 there's nothing and right about at 1 it comes in pretty loud, I had to back it off very carefully to find that very small area where I actually got sound and where it was suddenly pretty loud for not disturbing people. I would think you could play in a low-volume band with this, especially hooked up to a bigger cab to move more air.

Sunday night we did a no drums/no PA practice with Crash Pad to learn a new song the kids wrote, and for purposes of following along with them at low volume, it was fine, despite that the bassist has a 2x15 cab and the other guitarist has a Vox Valvetronics 100w into a 4x12. Obviously, they weren't blasting, but it was fine for that sort of practice where you don't have to match drum volume.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I gotta get one, too. Krash did you conect it wiht a 4x12 cab? That's what I would plan to do.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast