Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ngd--souped Up Turbo Lap Steel

Post Thanks / Like

+1 Wingsdad on the Plastic thumb and fingerpicks. I figure if Plastic is good enough for Bob Brozman, it's good enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython

I will try bare fingers with a thumbpick first and then possible go to plastic fingerpicks if I can't generate equivalent volume. .
    Do they sound sucky with a bare thumb?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

It's just a different type of guitar. So, it doesn't sound crappy at all with a bare thumb.........if you can pull it off. Most people just can't be accurate enough to use a bare thumb. Doesn't mean it can't be done. I tried like heck to use a bare thumb but just couldn't develop accuracy or speed. I use a thumbpick.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have gas for guitars usually but I'm experiencing major gas for that lap steel. It is simply gorgeous! I've been playing my cheap lap steel and just loving it so much I've neglected my other guitars.

Plastic thumb and finger picks are the way to go. The metal ones sound harsh to me. Bare thumb and fingers can sound good depending on what style song you are playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Pie, that is one beautiful steel, I bet the sound is really nice. It must be nice to have so much talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by street music
    Pie, that is one beautiful steel, I bet the sound is really nice. It must be nice to have so much talent.
    Yeah, the guy who made it, Tom Pettingill, is extremely talented with an incredible sense of style and detail. He knows his stuff about woods, finishes, etc.

My talent is much less so........but this baby makes you want to practice and to improve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12